An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Challenge

Aloysius

Name one Christian in each century after Christ. I'm looking for a list of only 20 people. 20 people you can name who you consider Christian in each century. Just list their names out right next to their century. If you want, you can list whole groups if there's no one famous enough in any of the centuries.

Laudate_Dominum

Let's see how well my memory will serve me (if I get a century wrong I automatically fail):

0- St. John
1- St. Polycarp
2- St. Ireneaus
3- St. Hippolytus
4- St. Gregory of Nyssa
5- St. Augustine
6- St. Benedict
7- St. Maximos
8- St. John Damascene
9- Sts. Cyril and Methodius
10- St. Symeon the New Theologian
11- St. Peter Damian
12- St. Bernard of Clairvaux
13- St. Francis of Assisi
14- St. Catherine of Siena
15- St. Bernardine of Siena
16- St. Teresa of Avila
17- St. Francis de Sales
18- St. Alphonsus de Liguori
19- St. Therese of Lisieux
20- St. Padre Pio

That's 21 for extra credit ;)

I just realized that all of those saints are on my list of favourite saints.. how cool is that. :)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1047617' date='Aug 21 2006, 04:50 PM']
no, those are all Catholics, and as such they are not Christian... well, except St. John. ;)
[/quote]
I am certain that every one of them would disagree with that statement Al. Democracy of the dead my friend. ;)

haha, but this is a challenge for those who don't believe Catholics are Christians :P:'

i.e. Budge and Eutychus, I think they're the only ones who hold that view on the boards currently... at least that I know of.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1047620' date='Aug 21 2006, 04:53 PM']
haha, but this is a challenge for those who don't believe Catholics are Christians :P:'

i.e. Budge and Eutychus, I think they're the only ones who hold that view on the boards currently... at least that I know of.
[/quote]
I know, I just wanted to play along. ^_^

Christians arent fame seeking, that means most of the best Christians on this world, died unknown and without endless books written about them.

Many of Rome's saints were led by false spirits and preached the doctrines of demons. Christian saints the real ones didnt spend their hours bilocuating--really a Catholic version of astral travel, levitating or bleeding from their hands.

Some of the teachings and quotes of these saints are out and out ANTICHRIST.

St. Catherine of Sienna
[quote]
"Even if the Pope were Satan incarnate, we ought not to raise up our heads against him, but calmly lie down to rest on his bosom. He who rebels against our Father is condemned to death, for that which we do to him we do to Christ: we honor Christ if we honor the Pope; we dishonor Christ if we dishonor the Pope. I know very well that many defend themselves by boasting: "They are so corrupt, and work all manner of evil!"[size=5] But God has commanded that, even if the priests, the pastors, and Christ-on-earth were incarnate devils, we be obedient and subject to them, not for their sakes, but for the sake of God, and out of obedience to Him."[/size]

St. Catherine of Siena, SCS, p. 201-202, p. 222[/quote]

Totally contrary to the warnings of Jesus Christ about the wolves in sheep's clothing.

Satan himself couldnt have said it better.

Padre Pio and HIS SPIRIT GUIDES.

Another AntiChrist statement, totally going against this scripture.
[b]

Col 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,[/b]

Im quite sure Padre Pio definitely had angels working with him, problem is, they were from hell...

[quote]
Invoke frequently this (your) Guardian Angel, this benefactor angel. Repeat often the beautiful prayer: "Angel of God, my Guardian dear, to whom the heavenly Father's bounty entrusts me here; enlighten me, guard me, guide me now and forever." [size=5]How great, my dear Raffaelina, will be the consolation, when, at the hour of death, your soul will see this angel, who is so good, who has accompanied you throughout your life, who was so ample in his maternal care![/size] Oh that this sweet thought may make you, may render you continually more fond of the Cross of Jesus! This is namely what your good angel desires! ? May the desire to see this inseparable companion of your entire life enkindle in you that charity which moves you to desire soon to leave the body.

Oh, what a holy and salutary thought it is to see this our good angel! It is this aspiration, namely, that should make us escape ahead of time from this dark prison in which we are detained. O Raffaelina, where are my thoughts flying to now? How many times, alas, have I made this good angel weep! [size=5]How many times have I lived without the least fear of offending the purity of his regard! Oh, he is so finely mannered, so discreet. My God, how many times did I respond to the ample, more than maternal care of this good angel without any sign of respect, affection or acknowledgment! [/size]It is this thought that presently rather fills me with confusion: alas -- hear this and be horrified -- such is my blindness that I feel no remorse at this. And what is worse still, I treat this dear little angel, I do not say as a friend, but as a member of my family. And to tell the truth, this dear angel is not the least offended at being treated like this by me. How precious he is, how good!"

(Padre Pio da Pietrelcina. EPISTOLARIO, II: Corrispondenza con la Nobildonnna Raffaelina Cerase 1914-1915, Lett. 64, p. 403f. National Centre for Padre Pio. Rd. 1, Box 134 Barto, PA 19504)[/quote]

Creeped out yet...I know I am.

One thing Ive noticed about Catholic "saints" is they are always

1. Celebrities.

2. Made a lot of money for the Vatican, this is one reason the founder of Opus Dei just got raised to sainthood.

3. Usually powerful and wealthy founders of monasteries, orders, convents--. Even if living under poverty oath, have incredible fame.

The Catholic definition of saint is wrong too...their special superduper uber-religious special class of elites above everyone else. This is not how the BIble defines saint which is every born again believer under the blood of Christ. This actually hampers relationship with God. The Catholic Church preaches that one has to be utterly PERFECT or near Perfect to attain heaven, do years and years of charity work, show miracles and healings to actually be someone who goes straight to heaven. It makes the goal post for the average person seem insurmountable. The true gospel which puts Jesus Christ and His perfection in the center is pushed aside and hidden for the super duper uber-religious humans who supposely got into heaven on their own merits.

Ever notice the majority of the saints named by the Catholic church always had some fame towards the end or some church work/visions/happenings they were known for? Most true saints are unrecognized by this world. In fact Jesus Himself warned that the world would hate those who are truly His. I believe most of the saints of those centuries DIED, UNKNOWN, and in many cases PERSECUTED by Rome itself. The only actual saints Rome has on its ledgers are Biblical figures, I believe the rest show all the signs, especially the latter saints of total involvement with the occult, including Padre Pio who frightened even his fellow monks by talking with "spirits" in his cell.

0- St. John
1- St. Polycarp
2- St. Ireneaus
3- St. Hippolytus
4- St. Gregory of Nyssa
5- St. Augustine
6- St. Benedict
7- St. Maximos
8- St. John Damascene
9- Sts. Cyril and Methodius
10- St. Symeon the New Theologian
11- St. Peter Damian
12- St. Bernard of Clairvaux
13- St. Francis of Assisi
14- St. Catherine of Siena
15- St. Bernardine of Siena
16- St. Teresa of Avila
17- St. Francis de Sales
18- St. Alphonsus de Liguori
19- St. Therese of Lisieux
20- St. Padre Pio

Hey Budge,

No not creeped out. Padre Pio citation you put there is pretty good. thanks for posting it. I think he is simpoly admitting he is, at times, a sinner. the more you love God, the greater your sins (Mr. Theresa - oops, another fame mongrol!).

I don't see anything wrong with the saints being famous. When a light shines brighter than the rest, you don't keep it under your bed. You place it on your table so everyone can see the light.

[quote]
No not creeped out. Padre Pio citation you put there is pretty good. thanks for posting it. I think he is simpoly admitting he is, at times, a sinner. the more you love God, the greater your sins (Mr. Theresa - oops, another fame mongrol!).[/quote]

The Bible says praying to and worshipping angels is wrong. Padre Pio says the complete opposite, who am I going to believe?

Im going with Gods Word.

[quote]
I don't see anything wrong with the saints being famous.[/quote]

I believe world fame is a fruit of being OF THE WORLD.

With rare exceptions, most preachers who stick by the gospel are hated by the majority of the world even if they attain some noteriety.

[size=5]Jhn 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.[/size]

This doesnt describe your "saints" now does it?

[quote name='Budge' post='1047892' date='Aug 22 2006, 09:26 AM']

[snip]

With rare exceptions, most preachers who stick by the gospel are hated by the majority of the world even if they attain some noteriety.

[size=5]Jhn 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.[/size]

This doesnt describe your "saints" now does it?
[/quote]

You mean like you hate the pope and the Church he runs?

The Pope is condemned by that verse.

90% of the world loves the Pope, all we had to do is watch the funeral of the last Pope to know most of the planet loves the Pope. Even just about all the world's kings, queens, presidents and world leaders were there.

[url="http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/04/08/pope-funeral050408.html"]LINK[/url]

[img]http://www.markdroberts.com/images/TIME-pope-3.jpg[/img]

The unbelieving world doesnt give true Christians that much adulation, fame and adoration...

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dignitaries_at_the_funeral_of_Pope_John_Paul_II"]LONG LONG LIST OF DIGNITARIES AT PAPAL FUNERAL[/url]

Oh, love the picture of the papa.

How much do you really know about him?

Did you know he never had a bank account to his name, nor a credit card, nor a checkbook? Did you know that the sum of his belongings even as a priest mounted the old clothes that could fit in just about a single suitcase?

Did you know that he volunteered to clean up the shinobi (litterally) left behind by the NAZIs at the Jagollian University because no one else wanted to do it?

Did you ever ask yourself WHY people loved him?

Oh, and I really don't understand how you read that verse. Are you saying that being loved is contrary to any christian?

Or let me ask you this; how else should the pope present himself? I mean, should he lock himself up in the vatican, keep anyone and everyone from seeing him and isolate himself from fear that someone might just love him from a distance?