An Old School Catholic Message Board

nightgowns

zunshynn

she_who_is_not

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1052879' date='Aug 29 2006, 12:56 PM']
fwiw, they do call it a jumper. I say it instead of them because each postulant only gets one. :)
[/quote]
So Dad,
What do the postulants wear when the jumper is in the wash? Or are they not allowed to wash it? Very curious.

Oh and bye the bye PP: When I was at Cambridge, I had a particular sweater, (in my lingo) which the boys liked. It took me a few weeks to understand why they kept commenting on my "lovely jumper" I thought they were making fun of me!! In the Southern US, jumpers are associated with dowdy old ladies and preschool teachers. (Which was certainly not the look I was going for)

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1052918' date='Aug 29 2006, 12:53 PM']
So Dad,
What do the postulants wear when the jumper is in the wash? Or are they not allowed to wash it? Very curious.
[/quote]

I think they usually wash it at night when they're already in their nightgown (or night habit).

Sr. Mary Gabriel apparently tells alot of people when she's fitting them that they only need to wash it like every six months (she didn't tell me that, though she was adamant that I always wear my apron and put a napkin up when I eat. :lol; ). But Sr. Anastasia said we can wash it more than that. :lol: I don't know how often they wash it though.

Actually they're behind on habits too right now, because there are so many novices. A lot of them still only have one, and usually they have two habits.

Edited by zunshynn

puellapaschalis

[quote name='she_who_is_not' post='1052918' date='Aug 29 2006, 10:00 PM']Oh and bye the bye PP: When I was at Cambridge, I had a particular sweater, (in my lingo) which the boys liked. It took me a few weeks to understand why they kept commenting on my "lovely jumper" I thought they were making fun of me!! In the Southern US, jumpers are associated with dowdy old ladies and preschool teachers. (Which was certainly not the look I was going for)
[/quote]

When I was an undergraduate and a chorister, some of us from the choir were sitting "relaxing" (i.e. when we should have been working) after Chapel one morning, and the topic came up as two of us were exchange students from the US. It ended up in lots of hilarity!

Love and prayers,

PP

i love how in-depth this gets!!

okay, i've always wondered. are nuns allowed to shave their legs!? I'd be fine with not doing it...less time & effort! But really... are they allowed to!? Am I allowed to wonder that!?!? :idontknow:

Yes, you're allowed to wonder. Some do, some don't. I think the vast majority- if not all-active sisters nowadays are allowed to, but some cloistered communities still don't approve of it. :ninja:

brandelynmarie

Jumper=sweater

nappies=diapers

crisps=french fries Am I getting this right?

I was in Europe for 5 months & the British vs American English was very funny...Sometimes my friends & I would go in circles trying to figure out what the other was saying... :lol:

DiscerningSoul

The "nightdress" at Lockport is a simple ankle long, long sleeved and hand made with a pocket.
They also wear a "nightcap" to cover there heads at night.

The poor clares in rockford wear there habits to bed(at least that is what I was told at the time of my visit when I was 27) :idontknow:

I wish I had a pattern for it, I would love to make one for myself.

[quote name='stuckinamo' post='1053177' date='Aug 29 2006, 07:39 PM']
okay, i've always wondered. are nuns allowed to shave their legs!? I'd be fine with not doing it...less time & effort! But really... are they allowed to!? Am I allowed to wonder that!?!? :idontknow:
[/quote]

Of course you can wonder!

It depends on the order, I think. I know for the Sisters of Life (because someone asked Mother this during Q & A!) it's up to you if you want to or not; basically if it's not done for vanity's sake, it's not particularly problematic. I think someone also asked if the Sisters pluck their eyebrows and besides the vanity issue, Mother said something to the effect of (and I'm very very much paraphrasing), because they're an active order, you don't want people necessarily so distracted by a bush on your face...haha. I guess if you're cloistered and you see the same people day in and day out, they'd get used to it and it wouldn't matter, right? :topsy:

[quote name='stuckinamo' post='1053177' date='Aug 29 2006, 07:39 PM']
[/quote]

LMAO!!!! THIS REMINDS ME OF A STORY!!! I WAS TAUGHT BY THE FSGM SISTERS. WE HAD A VOCATION QUESTION DAY IN MATH CLASS, SR AGNES WAS MY TEACHER AT THE TIME. SOMEONE ASKED HER THAT QUESTION....THE CLASS BUSTED OUT LAUGHING. SHE GAVE THIS WEIRD LOOK AND I KNEW WHERE SHE WAS COMMING FROM ON THAT LOOK.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, YES LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE THEY DO SHAVE THEIR LEGS!!! MAYBE NOT AS MUCH AS WE DO NOW, BUT THEY DO SHAVE THEIR LEGS, FOR MOST COMMUNITIES YOU CAN'T SEE OR TELL IF THEIR LEGS ARE SHAVED OR NOT BECAUSE OF THE FACT THEIR LEGS ARE ALWAYS COVERED UP....AND IT IS NORMAL TO WONDER THAT!!!! YOU CAN ASK A RELIGOUS ANY QUESTION AND I AM SURE THEY HAVE HEARD THAT QUESTION BEFORE A THOUSAND TIMES OVER AND OVER BUT IN DIFFERENT WAYS!!!!

[quote name='magnificat' post='1053255' date='Aug 29 2006, 10:17 PM']

It depends on the order, I think. I know for the Sisters of Life (because someone asked Mother this during Q & A!) it's up to you if you want to or not; basically if it's not done for vanity's sake, it's not particularly problematic. I think someone also asked if the Sisters pluck their eyebrows and besides the vanity issue, Mother said something to the effect of (and I'm very very much paraphrasing), because they're an active order, you don't want people necessarily so distracted by a bush on your face...haha. I guess if you're cloistered and you see the same people day in and day out, they'd get used to it and it wouldn't matter, right? :topsy:
[/quote]

LOCKPORT I KNOW SHAVES THEIR LEGS ON SATURDAYS, IF I CAN REMEMBER RIGHT!!!

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1053218' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:54 PM']
The "nightdress" at Lockport is a simple ankle long, long sleeved and hand made with a pocket.
They also wear a "nightcap" to cover there heads at night.

The poor clares in rockford wear there habits to bed(at least that is what I was told at the time of my visit when I was 27) :idontknow:

I wish I had a pattern for it, I would love to make one for myself.
[/quote]

SSEW WEARS A SIMPLE, LONGSLEVE, FULL-LENGTH, NIGHTGOWN, ANY COLOR...ETC

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' post='1053218' date='Aug 29 2006, 08:54 PM']

[/quote]

Yes, I believe that's true for most Poor Clares (it is for the community here in St. Louis), once they receive the habit. It's because they rise at night to pray Matins and that's just a lot of changing of clothing so it's much simpler that way. Plus, there's a neat significance to being prepared at any moment to be with Jesus! The postulants only rise for Matins on feast days so they wear a night gown to bed.

Edited by magnificat

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1052780' date='Aug 29 2006, 11:36 AM']
It's my understanding from the various photos I've seen that PCPA postulants wear what you USAns call a jumper and what I call a sleeveless dress, with a blouse underneath.

To complete the linguistic information, what I refer to as a jumper is probably what USA English speakers call a sweater.

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]
in general it is called a jumper yes and it all Likely-hood it's simply that jumper is shorter and americans like simple lanuage it's faster

[quote name='magnificat' post='1053255' date='Aug 29 2006, 11:17 PM']

[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHA! i laughed really hard outloud at that. my mom was just sort of like "what?" oh man!!

[quote name='Sixtina87' post='1053326' date='Aug 30 2006, 12:18 AM']
LMAO!!!! THIS REMINDS ME OF A STORY!!! I WAS TAUGHT BY THE FSGM SISTERS. WE HAD A VOCATION QUESTION DAY IN MATH CLASS, SR AGNES WAS MY TEACHER AT THE TIME. SOMEONE ASKED HER THAT QUESTION....THE CLASS BUSTED OUT LAUGHING. SHE GAVE THIS WEIRD LOOK AND I KNEW WHERE SHE WAS COMMING FROM ON THAT LOOK.

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, YES LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE THEY DO SHAVE THEIR LEGS!!! MAYBE NOT AS MUCH AS WE DO NOW, BUT THEY DO SHAVE THEIR LEGS, FOR MOST COMMUNITIES YOU CAN'T SEE OR TELL IF THEIR LEGS ARE SHAVED OR NOT BECAUSE OF THE FACT THEIR LEGS ARE ALWAYS COVERED UP....AND IT IS NORMAL TO WONDER THAT!!!! YOU CAN ASK A RELIGOUS ANY QUESTION AND I AM SURE THEY HAVE HEARD THAT QUESTION BEFORE A THOUSAND TIMES OVER AND OVER BUT IN DIFFERENT WAYS!!!!
LOCKPORT I KNOW SHAVES THEIR LEGS ON SATURDAYS, IF I CAN REMEMBER RIGHT!!!
SSEW WEARS A SIMPLE, LONGSLEVE, FULL-LENGTH, NIGHTGOWN, ANY COLOR...ETC
[/quote]

haha! i probably would haev felt a bit awkward if i were Sr. Agnes! Was it an all girl's school, or was it co-ed?

[quote name='stuckinamo' post='1053874' date='Aug 30 2006, 08:04 PM']
haha! i probably would haev felt a bit awkward if i were Sr. Agnes! Was it an all girl's school, or was it co-ed?
[/quote]

LOL!!!! YEAH I COULD SEE SHE FELT KIND OF AWKWARD...HER FACE IS WHAT SAID IT!!! HOWEVER IT IS A CO-ED SCHOOL AND EVERYONE BURSTED OUT LAUGHING!!! I KNEW THE ANSWER AND THE GIRL WHO WANTED TO KNOW THE ANSWER WANTED ME TO ASK, KNOWING IT WAS A "DUMB" QUESTION REFUSED TO ASK IT!

haha aww!
how funny/awkward.

i love nuns! :blush: sometimes i think people forget that they are people! myself included!! :D:

[quote name='brandelynmarie' post='1053216' date='Aug 29 2006, 09:49 PM']
Jumper=sweater

nappies=diapers

crisps=french fries Am I getting this right?

I was in Europe for 5 months & the British vs American English was very funny...Sometimes my friends & I would go in circles trying to figure out what the other was saying... :lol:
[/quote]

ps: i actually think that crisps are potato chips? my US History teacher last year was from England. (yeah, weird i know. we didn't learn much.) sometimes he would slip up and use his English slang. One day he accidentely pronounced "aluminum" "al-u-minium" (phonetically). Oh, he was lovely! I also found out that crumpets (as in tea and crumpets) are like English muffins here! (woops, i'm a bit :offtopic: -- my bad!!)