An Old School Catholic Message Board

nightgowns

zunshynn

puellapaschalis

Continuing the Off-Topic-ness, mea maxima culpa...

British English | US English

crisps | chips
chips | fries
jam | jelly
jelly | jell-o

At JFK I was once asked by some security staff to pronounce the word "aluminium". Upon doing so, and separating out the two last vowels, they erupted into adoring giggles. It only stopped when on chap noted that I was feeling a little weirded out by all this and gave me back my shoes so that I could go down to the gate.

Oh, and one thing that I had to learn about Canadian English was [i]what time do you have?[/i] For me it was always [i]what time do you make it?[/i]

But this thread is about nightwear, not me showing off my paltry linguistic tid-bits. *strikes breast*

Love and prayers,

PP

Edited by puellapaschalis

puellapaschalis

Yes, but I think Brendan might have a point. There are some questions people should just pluck up the courage to ask the relevant person in a community.

Love and prayers,

PP

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1055290' date='Sep 1 2006, 04:50 PM']
Yes, but I think Brendan might have a point. There are some questions people should just pluck up the courage to ask the relevant person in a community.

Love and prayers,

PP
[/quote]

bredan does seem to have some great points here and there. sometimes people just dont have the guts to ask certain questions....and some question are just plain stupid!!!

anyways, i so agree.

got to run, going out to party!!! :D:

brandelynmarie
:hijack: Oh puella! :D: Such a strange thing is language! (Especially American English!) I love watching hot stuff Oliver on Food Network because I want to learn his lingo... :blush:

puellapaschalis

Ok, we've [i]totally[/i] hijacked this thread now....

Jamie Oliver speaks...funny :P I can't place his accent - I know so many British accents and I get confused too easily - and sometimes I actually wonder if he exaggerates it a bit for the cameras! Myself I usually speak standard British English (with what used to be called RP before the world went politically correct and spoilt all the fun), but give me two days back down in Devon and I'll be AAAARRRRRRR'ing like you'd never know.

I lived in TO for a while and still can't really tell the different between someone from Windsor ON and Detroit.. :pinch:

Love and prayers,

PP

Sorry to hijack this thread about the vagaries of the English language but didn't Jennifer say that she was going to post pictures???

Actually only the postulants wear a night dress to bed in Lockport. The professed sisters and the novice's (basically everyone who has recieved the habit) wear night habits to bed. They are required to wear night habits to bed while the aspirants and postulants wear a night gown. God Bless and Mary keep
Karin

[quote name='OLAM Dad' post='1055727' date='Sep 2 2006, 11:54 AM']
Sorry to hijack this thread about the vagaries of the English language but didn't Jennifer say that she was going to post pictures???
[/quote]

:P: I wanted to see how long we went (and how :offtopic: we got) before somebody realized I hadn't actually posted the pic of the nightgown/nighthabit/nightwear/nightwhatever. :lol:

Anyway, here it is:

[img]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h136/zunshynn/PictureorVideo003.jpg[/img]

My very Wendy-ish looking night____!

:doh: sorry it's so huge! I thought I made it smaller! I'm so dumb with computers!

Edited by zunshynn

brandelynmarie

Can you make me one?!?!? :bounce: :lol_roll: (just kiddin') Although, I will hopefully have one or a night habit in the next year or so... :love: