An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father?

catholicinsd

I'm proabably not going to. This whole thing with Cathurain has very upset. If I were truly called I could have brought Ashley home a long time ago.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1078691' date='Sep 28 2006, 09:42 PM']
I'm proabably not going to. This whole thing with Cathurain has very upset. If I were truly called I could have brought Ashley home a long time ago.
[/quote]

+

I don't know about Ashley or Carthurian, but your logic and theology here is faulty --just another reason to got to the seminary (study both)! ;)

NO ONE, brings anyone else home!!!!!!! It is GOD's GRACE A L O N E !!! We might like to think that we do, but NONE of us have that power! ONLY GOD CAN DO THAT.

So, don't fall prey to Satan --the last thing he wants you to be is a priest and he would love for you to think because you aren't something you could never be (God) you can't be a priest! Now, this doesn't mean you ARE , but what you mentioned is NOT an indication that you aren't!! If it was, no man would be "truly called"!

(Forgive all the caps and exclamations --but this is REALLY important!)

Fight the good fight! :starwars:

Edited by Veritas

Dude,
Whether or not you feel that you're going to become a priest, you still should get involved in your local Catholic community. The stuff I suggested is just good ideas for growing in your faith and as a person, and to help you (and the Church, to some extent) discern whether God is calling you to the priesthood. Getting depressed because you're not a Super-Catholic isn't going to get you very far.
You know, God cares more that you do what He calls you to do than that you get the results you think you're supposed to get.

Besides, do you remember when Didacus started a thread for a priest he knew, asking us why we are Catholic? The answers all had something to do with God being so important in our lives. In fact, if I remember correctly, the lack of arguments was so overwhelming that the priest commented on it. It’s not that we don’t have arguments (obviously); rather it’s that, while arguments can convince minds, they don’t convince persons. And they cannot remove fear. Only grace can do that. We are called to evangelize. We should know our arguments. Of course, we should pray. But after we have done all that we can do, we shouldn’t worry too much about it. The result is not in our hands.

catholicinsd

I'm active in a number of things throughout my church and school. But it seems the more I do the more confused I get.

And I'd really like attend St. Thomas, even if not for Semenairy, but the annuall cost is about 25,000- way too much for me & my family.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Call your Vocations Director. A Vocations Director is NOT just about finding priest. Their job is to help discern which vocation you are called to and sometimes even the Vocation within the Vocation. If you are not willing to do that then at least ask your priest about helping you find a Spiritual Director, and grow in that way. Spiritiual Direction is very key to discerning a vocation. I used to go once every three weeks I had to stop while I'm going through military training)

Fear is a natural part of accepting a Vocation. God does not call the qualified, he will qualifies those who he calls. Again depending on the Dioces, some pay for ALL, or Half of college costs if you are in the minor Seminary even. If you feel God calling you to the seminary at least talk to someone n your dioces who can answer your questions.

peace be with you

Does you diocese have a group for men considering the priesthood (not already in the seminary) that meets every so often with the vocations director to support each other and help discern? I think we have something like that here... not that I've ever really checked.

What are you confused about? Why do you want to become a priest, and why don't you want to? etc.

catholicinsd

[quote name='Maria' post='1081282' date='Oct 1 2006, 10:06 PM']
Does you diocese have a group for men considering the priesthood (not already in the seminary) that meets every so often with the vocations director to support each other and help discern? I think we have something like that here... not that I've ever really checked.

[/quote]

I don't know if they do or not.

[quote]What are you confused about? [/quote]

Everything pretty much

[quote]Why do you want to become a priest, and why don't you want to? [/quote]

Because I know there is a need. And when considering the future the priesthood is the only thing that pops at me. But it seems too hard for me.

Edited by catholicinsd

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1081307' date='Oct 1 2006, 11:37 PM']
Because I know there is a need. And when considering the future the priesthood is the only thing that pops at me. But it seems too hard for me.
[/quote]

I can related to the need for priests being part of your motivation (I feel the same way), but it really isn't a good reason for becoming a priest. The only reason for following a vocation is because God called you. Of course, it's not usually clear, but it's good to have doubts now because when they are finally resolved, you'll know for sure that you're doing the right thing. The thought goes through my head that I'll be disappointing people if I end up getting married, but the bottom line is we can't go wrong by honestly following God. Christ will ensure that we have enough priests.

Besides, numbers aren't what matters. We had plenty of priests and religious back in the 50's, but they sure weren't the most loyal bunch judging by the mass exodus during the following couple of decades (pun intended :) ).

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1080566' date='Oct 1 2006, 02:36 AM']
I'm active in a number of things throughout my church and school. But it seems the more I do the more confused I get.

And I'd really like attend St. Thomas, even if not for Semenairy, but the annuall cost is about 25,000- way too much for me & my family.
[/quote]

I've visited St. Thomas/Vianney, it's a pretty cool campus. It's a good school. However, you could always come to Atchison KS! Benedictine College is amazing...well I don't GO there, I'm only a junior in high school, too, but Benedictine is a good place for spiritual formation, I think it is a good place for discernment. I too have been thinking about whether I should go to a seminary college, but I have pretty much decided that I dont NEED to decide now, and I am definitely not ready for a seminary. So I am probably going to go to Benedictine and continue my discernment there, with spirtual direction from the monks (gosh I love monks) and if I decide that the priesthood IS for me, I will probably look around a bit, because I am not totally sure that I want to stay in my diocese. I might go to Nebraska, or I might join an order. I just need to know more about individual orders. I know I don't want to be a Benedictine....so anyway yep there's a ton to think and pray about, but you don't have to go to or stay in Minnesota! Come to Kansas!

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Fr. Benedict Groeschel says benidictine colleges is one of the good ones of the Catholic higher education system. That coupled with Archbishop Naumen inviting me to attend give me confidence in that school.

-sorry for the side track, but it's sorta relavent.

[color="#009900"]Brandon,

A few other things.

Which seminary you attend will depend on a few things:

1) Do you wish to join an order or serve as a diocesan priest?

2) If you join an order, each order is different as far as their training programs. Each order may have different novitiate periods, and different seminaries/priestly training and formation programs. You will also want to decide which of the myriad of orders you wish to join.

3) If you wish to go diocesan, contact your diocesan vocations director. In Chicago, you are ordained after completing 4 years post-grad at Mundelein seminary, and in order to atend there you need a minimum of a bachelor's degree, plus 1 year or pre-seminary theology/philosophy if you did not study the approved equivalent at a Catholic college.

Of course, no matter what path you look for you have to wrestle with whether or not you can handle the "big C" for the rest of your life.[/color]

Edited by Norseman82

catholicinsd

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1081958' date='Oct 2 2006, 01:01 PM']
[color="#009900"]
Of course, no matter what path you look for you have to wrestle with whether or not you can handle the "big C" for the rest of your life.[/color]
[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know if I can or not.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1083559' date='Oct 3 2006, 10:38 PM']
Yeah, I don't know if I can or not.
[/quote]

+

You don't have to make that decision now.

Talk to the VD. If he's good, he won't want you to join the sem if God doesn't. Just talk to him! Contact is NOT a committment to join the sem or be a priest. Before you decide, "I can't be celibate for the rest of my life" you should ask a few more questions and learn a bit more --don't limit God! Again, maybe you're not being called and that's okay! Obviously, not everyone is... but give God a chance!

:)

Blessings!