An Old School Catholic Message Board

Father?

catholicinsd

catholicinsd

[quote name='Veritas' post='1083679' date='Oct 4 2006, 09:01 AM']
+

You don't have to make that decision now.

[/quote]

I'd rather make it now, so, if it's God's will, I can go to college semenairy, rather than wasting time and money on regular college

[quote]Talk to the VD. If he's good, he won't want you to join the sem if God doesn't. Just talk to him! [/quote]

Yeah, I'm too very shy.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1085299' date='Oct 5 2006, 08:15 PM']
I'd rather make it now, so, if it's God's will, I can go to college semenairy, rather than wasting time and money on regular college

Yeah, I'm too very shy.
[/quote]

+

It would be nice if we said to God, "Lord, what is my vocation?" and a neon sign flashed accross the sky. But, in the words of Fr. Baer, rector of SJV, "God works very s l o w l y!" My point, is that you don't have to force yourself to make a decision about celibacy, which your spiritual and physical maturity may not allow you to make clearly. So, pray a lot, and if you feel God prompting you towards the seminary --give yourself a chance to grow in virtue, which will allow you to do things you never thought possible, i.e. celebacy. On the other hand, chastity is required no matter what your vocation (even during marriage), so focus on learning it and improving it now.

Trust God!!! This is about His Grace! PRAY!!!!!!!

[quote name='Veritas' post='1085496' date='Oct 6 2006, 11:59 AM']
+

Trust God!!! This is about His Grace! PRAY!!!!!!!
[/quote]

I can second that. I haven't a clue what I'm going to be/do, and it can be exceedingly frustrating. But I think God just wants us to trust Him. He doesn't seem to like giving us the whole picture -- it's more like He leads us step by step.

Do you know someone who could introduce you to the VD? You do know that you don't have to have it all figured out before you approach him, right? Tell him you're considering becoming a priest, and you want to attend the college seminary, but you don't know how that could be feasible for you. I know that sometimes there are groups or individuals that help sponsor seminarians' education, and there might be some sort of work-study program or something. Basically, there might be a way you can go there, and you don't have to figure out whether or not you're going to become a priest before you try. God shows us things a little bit at a time. Unless the [i]only[/i] reason you want to go there is in case you will become a priest (so that you don't waste money), I'd say to definitely go for it.

Oh, and I'm shy, too. Or I used to be, and I still hate approaching people. I feel so unsure of myself. But teaching has helped me get over a lot of the shyness.

catholicinsd

[quote name='Maria' post='1085644' date='Oct 6 2006, 04:58 PM']

Oh, and I'm shy, too. Or I used to be, and I still hate approaching people. I feel so unsure of myself. But teaching has helped me get over a lot of the shyness.
[/quote]

It's shyness about talking to the VD, but its also shyness about telling my parents. My birth-father and step-mother are Prostetants, my step-father is non-praticing Catholic, and my mom only attends Mass once in a while.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1085991' date='Oct 6 2006, 10:42 PM']
It's shyness about talking to the VD, but its also shyness about telling my parents. My birth-father and step-mother are Prostetants, my step-father is non-praticing Catholic, and my mom only attends Mass once in a while.
[/quote]

+

I can totally relate to that! My parents have not been practicing anything my entire life --in fact, I'd never heard them speak about God! My sisters, on the other hand, are hard-core evangelical protestants. In the end, I was amazed at how supportive they all were when I told them I was applying to the convent! (It was difficult, and I didn't rush the announcement, but I knew God came first, even over pleasing my parents or confusing them -and He blessed that fidelity and devotion!)

In the end, it's brought us all closer together and it has been an evangelization tool for my parents as well --in that I'm not afraid to reference and explain God and the Church with them because they know how serious I am about Him!

Yeah, so I've been having a bad couple of days. It wasn't the fact the last two days were bad that me hesitant, its how I handled them (without much grace.)

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1089181' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:42 PM']
Yeah, so I've been having a bad couple of days. It wasn't the fact the last two days were bad that me hesitant, its how I handled them (without much grace.)
[/quote]

+

Let me just throw-out there too, You're 18 or 19 right? You are not going to be perfect! Do your best and keep learning, but don't beat yourself up because you're not Mother Teresa yet! Holiness takes time, so give yourself a break. :)

Blessings!

[quote name='Veritas' post='1089188' date='Oct 11 2006, 02:53 PM']
+

Let me just throw-out there too, You're 18 or 19 right? You are not going to be perfect! Do your best and keep learning, but don't beat yourself up because you're not Mother Teresa yet! Holiness takes time, so give yourself a break. :)

Blessings!
[/quote]
Well basically I've been havind such a rough time cause my car is turning into carp. And even if I would contact the VD, more likely I'd have drive to the seat of the diocese, which is about 2 hours ago, and I don't think my car would make it.

And still don't think I can tell my family.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1089216' date='Oct 11 2006, 01:09 PM']
Well basically I've been havind such a rough time cause my car is turning into carp. And even if I would contact the VD, more likely I'd have drive to the seat of the diocese, which is about 2 hours ago, and I don't think my car would make it.

And still don't think I can tell my family.
[/quote]

+

Bummer about your car I hope things work-out.

But, quit trying to talk yourself out of it! :P:

If you call to talk with him, it DOESN'T mean you have to tell your parents or drive out there. It just means you have someone knowledgeable to talk with (ignore end of sentance preposition here).

It can't hurt!

Be brave man! Go rent Gladiator and Braveheart if you need some inspiration!

Edited by Veritas

Guest Rick777

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1090431' date='Oct 13 2006, 12:36 AM']
I can't do it. I'm too stupid for anything above high school education- especially the semenairy.
[/quote]

That's not a very nice thing to say about yourself. If it's God will it will happen. Keep your head up.:saint:

[quote name='Rick777' post='1090433' date='Oct 12 2006, 11:41 PM']
That's not a very nice thing to say about yourself. If it's God will it will happen. Keep your head up.:saint:
[/quote]

Okay, this is officially becoming the cheerleader for catholicinsd thread! You CAN do it! You CAN make the call! (I'm not saying you CAN or WILL be a Priest -that is GOD's GRACE, remember)! But, you CAN buck-up and MAKE THE CALL!

Blessings! :)

Think of the little tug boat! I think I can -I know I can! :lol:

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1090431' date='Oct 12 2006, 11:36 PM']
I can't do it. I'm too stupid for anything above high school education- especially the semenairy.
[/quote]

Excuse me?! Have you ever read anything about St. John Vianney?!