Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 8, 2006 Posted November 8, 2006 [quote name='Revprodeji' post='1115258' date='Nov 8 2006, 04:08 PM'] they rescheduled me for next tuesday because I did not have a slide-show powerpoint. Apparently a preacher needs visual as well...silly protos and their short attention spans [/quote] Rofl, that's just silly. How long is it supposed to be? You could make a full-blown catechesis in that much time. Powerpoint has its benefits. Classical art, a nice musical setting in the background, etc. [b]The Creation of Man:[/b] Notice that God has in mind (the red brain-shaped figure behind God represents His mind) to create a whole people, but at the same time, see the great individual attention He devotes to a single individual. See how they gaze into each other's eyes like lovers? Only a certain dignity can allow that. We don't look at our pets in the eyes. We were made for God. "You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you." -St. Augustine, [i]Confessions[/i]. [img]http://faculty.eicc.edu/ckrumbein/images/rome98-creation-of-man.jpg[/img] [b]The Fall of Man:[/b] See how man fell, desiring to be like God, and what is it God gives man in the end? God gives man a share in His own divinity. The fall of man and his fallen desires are fulfilled by the providence of God. [img]http://osiris.rutgers.edu/~smm/art/creation_man.jpg[/img] Etc. Play something in the background like a hymn or chanted psalm of man's striving for God and God's coming to man and you're all set.
N/A Gone Posted November 8, 2006 Author Posted November 8, 2006 20-30min, classic protestant sermon time.. numerous slides and quotes are always great. I need illustration (stories, metaphors) and an application for each point. as well as an appeal/challenge/application that moves the listener...oyoy good stuff...cant wait til im done with this school
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 8, 2006 Posted November 8, 2006 [quote name='Revprodeji' post='1115320' date='Nov 8 2006, 04:54 PM'] 20-30min, classic protestant sermon time.. numerous slides and quotes are always great. I need illustration (stories, metaphors) and an application for each point. as well as an appeal/challenge/application that moves the listener...oyoy good stuff...cant wait til im done with this school [/quote] Come get your Masters in catechetics at FUS when you're done.
N/A Gone Posted November 8, 2006 Author Posted November 8, 2006 I should direct you to the "Hope I get into St. Thomas threads" I have value in an evangelical enviroment, to the point that I could go to any school of my choice..but Not so much in the catholic realm. Doubt FUS would take me..and I cant leave Minnesota
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 9, 2006 Posted November 9, 2006 [quote name='Revprodeji' post='1115560' date='Nov 8 2006, 07:15 PM'] I should direct you to the "Hope I get into St. Thomas threads" I have value in an evangelical enviroment, to the point that I could go to any school of my choice..but Not so much in the catholic realm. Doubt FUS would take me..and I cant leave Minnesota [/quote] You can't leave MN? Are you in the state pen? : FUS has a distance Masters.
son_of_angels Posted November 9, 2006 Posted November 9, 2006 May I suggest giving a step-by-step catechesis on the prayer "Ave Maria." Explain the necessity of Marian devotion, the goodness of prayer, the fulness of grace, etc.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 9, 2006 Posted November 9, 2006 [quote name='son_of_angels' post='1115763' date='Nov 9 2006, 12:40 AM'] May I suggest giving a step-by-step catechesis on the prayer "Ave Maria." Explain the necessity of Marian devotion, the goodness of prayer, the fulness of grace, etc. [/quote] That's way too much for one catechesis.
N/A Gone Posted November 9, 2006 Author Posted November 9, 2006 too much mary and Im sure people will walk out..Im serious, school is rather anti-catholic Raphel, On the influence of Nick alone I would strongly consider FUS, I have an interesting family dynamic in minnesota that would make it almost impossible to leave the state. plus I network the center of my business out of rochester. Of course I cover 5 states or so, but the center is in rochester. FUS has a distance course? This is an idea. wanna tell me more?
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 9, 2006 Posted November 9, 2006 [quote name='Revprodeji' post='1115814' date='Nov 9 2006, 02:36 AM'] too much mary and Im sure people will walk out..Im serious, school is rather anti-catholic Raphel, On the influence of Nick alone I would strongly consider FUS, I have an interesting family dynamic in minnesota that would make it almost impossible to leave the state. plus I network the center of my business out of rochester. Of course I cover 5 states or so, but the center is in rochester. FUS has a distance course? This is an idea. wanna tell me more? [/quote] Distance Education: [url="http://www.franciscan.edu/home2/Content/DistanceLearning/main.aspx?id=664&cat=119"]http://www.franciscan.edu/home2/Content/Di...664&cat=119[/url] I don't know much about it personally, as I'm not in it and anyone who is obviously isn't around Steubenville to tell me about it, but Kateri05 is in the program right now. Maybe you could ask her what she thinks of it.
N/A Gone Posted November 13, 2006 Author Posted November 13, 2006 [quote name='Raphael' post='1115329' date='Nov 8 2006, 04:01 PM'] Come get your Masters in catechetics at FUS when you're done. [/quote] are you getting your masters right now? Ive been thinking about this all weekend. I really wish I could. For a while this year I almost thought about taking up one of the evangelical schools offer for a scholarship but I am really struggling at my school right now because everything turns into an argument it seems. Teachers trying to trap me into saying something un-catholic or just the conversion language. Hemeneutics and christology have been chaos, hebrews is ok. But without phatmass and certain goofy posters in particular I dont know what I would have done. Still workin on the presentation. Needs to be done tommorow. I need illustration (stories, metaphors) and an application for each point. as well as an appeal/challenge/application that moves the listener. Protestant sermons need to have a level of munipulation in them. Im not being mean, just quoting my professor from the 2nd day
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 13, 2006 Posted November 13, 2006 [quote name='Revprodeji' post='1119031' date='Nov 13 2006, 04:39 PM'] are you getting your masters right now? Ive been thinking about this all weekend. I really wish I could. For a while this year I almost thought about taking up one of the evangelical schools offer for a scholarship but I am really struggling at my school right now because everything turns into an argument it seems. Teachers trying to trap me into saying something un-catholic or just the conversion language. Hemeneutics and christology have been chaos, hebrews is ok. But without phatmass and certain goofy posters in particular I dont know what I would have done. Still workin on the presentation. Needs to be done tommorow. I need illustration (stories, metaphors) and an application for each point. as well as an appeal/challenge/application that moves the listener. Protestant sermons need to have a level of munipulation in them. Im not being mean, just quoting my professor from the 2nd day [/quote] Nope. If I was working on my masters, I'd have letters after my name. : I'd help with the presentation, but I'm studying for a test, writing a short paper, and working on two presentations of my own. :
N/A Gone Posted November 13, 2006 Author Posted November 13, 2006 bloody mid-terms eh? I guess I have the pastoral training so I should use it. I thought you were in the FUS masters program. You come across like you truly know your stuff. I thought you were graduating from the program and looking for teaching spots
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 13, 2006 Posted November 13, 2006 [quote name='Revprodeji' post='1119060' date='Nov 13 2006, 05:07 PM'] bloody mid-terms eh? I guess I have the pastoral training so I should use it. I thought you were in the FUS masters program. You come across like you truly know your stuff. I thought you were graduating from the program and looking for teaching spots [/quote] I'm graduating from the undergrad program. PhatCatholic is a grad student, though. Yes, catechetics classes here are just that good (that and the fact that I'm also a theology major). I am looking for jobs, though. It's a rewarding field, but not everyone is called to it.
kateri05 Posted November 16, 2006 Posted November 16, 2006 why yesi am in the distance program and its fabtabulous (except eccelesiology with dr. martin ) you're welcome to PM me with any questions as for your "preaching".... do protestants fail to realize that Jesus converted (not to mention fed) the thousands WITHOUT powerpoint?!? argh....
N/A Gone Posted November 16, 2006 Author Posted November 16, 2006 I am incredbily curious about the distance program. I am considering St. Thomas, but I have a friend in the program that does not speak high about it, so I am keeping my options open and anything that is good enough for Nick is good for me. My questions are probably typical. I will keep it here instead of PM so others may value as well. 1.) Enter requirements. 2.) How Fasfa works with a distance program. St. Thomas gives alot for living expenses so the student doesnt work full time. 3.) WHat academically do you lose from not being in a class dialogue setting 4.) Is the degree valued the same as if you were local. Just tell me about the in and outs. I took eccesiology last year..I wonder if it transfers..hehe
shortnun Posted November 16, 2006 Posted November 16, 2006 (edited) This is your brain ---> This is your brain on drugs ---> This is your brain after ecclesiology ---> Sorry for the hijack. Edited November 16, 2006 by shortnun
N/A Gone Posted November 16, 2006 Author Posted November 16, 2006 I like eccesiology alot. I read some awesome books on the various views of eccesiology among protestant groups. Seriously, might have been one of my favorite classes.
Thy Geekdom Come Posted November 16, 2006 Posted November 16, 2006 [quote name='shortnun' post='1121597' date='Nov 16 2006, 12:29 PM'] This is your brain ---> This is your brain on drugs ---> This is your brain after ecclesiology ---> Sorry for the hijack. [/quote] After ecclesiology with Dr. Martin? Dr. Martin makes theology easy, yet profound...but his soothing voice makes me tired at times.
kateri05 Posted November 17, 2006 Posted November 17, 2006 [quote name='Revprodeji' post='1121411' date='Nov 15 2006, 08:52 PM'] I am incredbily curious about the distance program. I am considering St. Thomas, but I have a friend in the program that does not speak high about it, so I am keeping my options open and anything that is good enough for Nick is good for me. My questions are probably typical. I will keep it here instead of PM so others may value as well. 1.) Enter requirements. 2.) How Fasfa works with a distance program. St. Thomas gives alot for living expenses so the student doesnt work full time. 3.) WHat academically do you lose from not being in a class dialogue setting 4.) Is the degree valued the same as if you were local. Just tell me about the in and outs. I took eccesiology last year..I wonder if it transfers..hehe [/quote] well since we're sidenote: i LOVE ecclesiology, but hated the class with dr. martin. i actually think that he is a brillant guy, very holy and well educated but a TERRIBLE professor. anyways back to your questions 1) ummm application, pry an essay, i dont remember, 3 recommendations and NO GRE!!! heck yes!!!! 2) if you are enrolled in at least 2 classes at once, you are eligible for stafford loans. this is the only student aid option because the tuition is already so discounted (like $500 something per CLASS). you do have to take 2 classes on campus (ie FULL Price), but really, this degree will cost me LESS than one SEMESTER of my undergrad. 3) as for what you lose for not being in a dialogue setting.... i never got much out of dialogue settings in college. maybe this is because my school was a liberal bastion of liberalness : so i just spent all the time argueing the Truth to people. so, i would often contribute a lot but without any feedback worth listening to. obviously, this wouldn't be the case at steubenville but, i dont know. i don't really care too much anyways, i DO wish sometimes that i could ask questions. like prof. militec's exegesis instructions were confusing (heck, so are prof mintos) and sure, i suppose i could email them or something, but sometimes things come up in class that i'm sure people actually ask questions about themselves, but they dont tape record the questions, only the answers, so i dont always get my exact questions covered. i have like a 4.0 (3.9?) right now (with 4.5 classes under my belt), so obviously its not been too much of a problem the convenience of doing the work at my pace, when i want and the cheapness far outweights the discussion attraction 4) degree = same exact thing. its nto a "distance learning" masters, its a masters in theology same as the rest. heck, considering how hard the comp is supposed to be, esp for distance, i'd say its worth more anymore questions? /hijack
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now