Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Preacher Batman I Am Doing A Sermon Tomorrow!


Recommended Posts

Posted

I was talking to my priest today..a very smart man, and easily the best priest I have ever met. (*I drive an hour to see him) He was instrumental in my conversion; I was talking to him about St. Tommy and FUS. He had an interesting statement

[quote]Dear Jon--

Yes, I know of Franciscan University ... but that would be too easy for you both (the Franciscan Un. and Jon McG.). I like the idea of you bringing your proclivities to someplace like St. Thomas ... where you will teach them, and they will teach you ... and there will be a whole lot more stretching happening :-).

It would be nice to see you if you make it to town!

Ciao--

Fr. Mark[/quote]

What does he mean?

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1129305' date='Nov 27 2006, 10:02 PM']
I was talking to my priest today..a very smart man, and easily the best priest I have ever met. (*I drive an hour to see him) He was instrumental in my conversion; I was talking to him about St. Tommy and FUS. He had an interesting statement
What does he mean?
[/quote]
I'm guessing that he means at Franciscan, you're generally with like-minded individuals, whereas at St. Thomas, you'd be with a lot of people who don't agree with the Church. I think both can have their benefits and downfalls. It's good to be with like-minded people because they strengthen us and help form us in our faith and don't challenge it too prematurely. It's also good to be with those of different opinions (if we're strong enough) because it allows us to stretch in order to remain charitable with them and perhaps can help lead to their conversion. I would say, though, that anyone who thinks there isn't room for growth and stretching at FUS has never been on campus long enough to make that judgment.

Posted

rev.............personally, i think what you need right now is to be w/ like-minded people. you're a new catholic, and neophytes (if you don't mind me calling you one) need community so that their new catholic identity can be strengthened and maintained. it seems that you've already done your requisite amount of "stretching." its time to grow and be nurtured.

that is also why i think you should actually come to the campus instead of doing distance learning. you need the experience of being here as much as you need the quality education.

finally, will all that much "stretching" even take place at UST? my understanding was that it was a pretty solid school as well.

Posted

My biggest challenge with St. Tommy is that one of the main guys, a Dr. Wojda, was not only familiar with boyd, but had no problem with a catholic holding to tenets of Open theism. Now, maybe he was being nice, but I would rather have **Bam, truth---eat it up prodeji, ok its a struggle, your down, i love ya,** than **yea, thats all good, whatever,. flowers and such**

I became catholic because of undenyable truth and the amazinly sexy appeal of an authority behind the truth. (*unamerican of me)

The issue phatty, is leaving minnesota is almost not a possibility in any form. It would be easier for me to pay for your phd program than for me to move states. Sarah is in a tough med program, My mom isnt the best parent and I have legal rights on one of my little brothers. Sarahs family is getting long in the tooth and I run my biz out of rochester.

but hey, FUS needs a 3.0 anyway..who am I kidding

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1129406' date='Nov 27 2006, 10:56 PM']
My biggest challenge with St. Tommy is that one of the main guys, a Dr. Wojda, was not only familiar with boyd, but had no problem with a catholic holding to tenets of Open theism. Now, maybe he was being nice, but I would rather have **Bam, truth---eat it up prodeji, ok its a struggle, your down, i love ya,** than **yea, thats all good, whatever,. flowers and such**

I became catholic because of undenyable truth and the amazinly sexy appeal of an authority behind the truth. (*unamerican of me)

The issue phatty, is leaving minnesota is almost not a possibility in any form. It would be easier for me to pay for your phd program than for me to move states. Sarah is in a tough med program, My mom isnt the best parent and I have legal rights on one of my little brothers. Sarahs family is getting long in the tooth and I run my biz out of rochester.

but hey, FUS needs a 3.0 anyway..who am I kidding
[/quote]
Pffft...I got into FUS on a 2.8...but that was undergrad.

Posted

distance program needs a 3.0, and well, Im not doin so good when teachers flunk me for "having an axe to grind"

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1129479' date='Nov 27 2006, 11:57 PM']
distance program needs a 3.0, and well, Im not doin so good when teachers flunk me for "having an axe to grind"
[/quote]
You can always make a special appeal of some kind.

Posted

Isnt that called whinning?


The question comes down to how much do I need to pay you and Nick to stalk the admin department..;)

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1129492' date='Nov 28 2006, 12:07 AM']
Isnt that called whinning?
The question comes down to how much do I need to pay you and Nick to stalk the admin department..;)
[/quote]
It wouldn't be hard to stalk them. Most of us know where they all live...or can easily find out. :P:

Posted

He wrote me back...

Dear Jon--

What I mean is, just as when travelling to a foreign land we need to hire people who can speak both our language and that of the natives(a translator), I think we need people in the church who can think and speak in more than one theological language. If we all just go to the corner where people speak our language, we will not be able to explain ourselves to those who are different. While I think you would generally find yourself very at home with the folks at Steubenville, and would learn a lot, I suspect studying at a place like St. Thomas would invite you to speak in some varied theological languages ... thus allowing you to become a "translator" so to speak.

Be well--

Fr. Mark
---------------------------------------

Im confused again...

Posted

well, for whatever reason, the priest you are talking to feels like UST has a more theologically-diverse student body, or perhaps a more diverse faculty than FUS. does UST require the mandatum? that would be good to know.

that said, i'm starting to think that, if the decision is between distance program at FUS vs. being an on-campus student at UST, you should go w/ UST. anything is bound to be more supportive than where you are now. you need to be w/ good catholic peeps, and i think you'll find them at UST. you should pm Cam42 and get his opinion. he got his grad degree there.

Posted

I would be driving for classes, so I wouldnt be "part of" the einviroment besides in class.

Honestly, I just hope one of them accepts me. I will apply for both. I am leaning towards FUS because of the fruit it appears to produce

Posted

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1130332' date='Nov 28 2006, 10:36 PM']
I would be driving for classes, so I wouldnt be "part of" the einviroment besides in class.

Honestly, I just hope one of them accepts me. I will apply for both. I am leaning towards FUS because of the fruit it appears to produce
[/quote]
well, even if you were just there for class, i think you get a lot more out of a class when you are actually there. also, i think Cam42 and hot stuff are good UST fruit :thumbsup:

Posted

Lets see if either accepts me..,

Its nice to debate between the capt cheerleader and the homecoming queen but at the end of the day you are still the geek in the library...let me ask them both out and see if either wants to meet the family

Posted

btw...Sarah was the capt cheerleader..:D

Posted

I got a reply today.

A lady named Virgina Garrision.

She reflected a concern in the GPA, I expressed my situation and that my theology courses still had a high GPA and I will have good references.

I also mentioned Micah and Nick. a lil name dropping never hurt anyone. Hope you guys dont mind.

Nick, WHile spending amazing amounts of time researching FUS, StU and SP-MAT; FUS has clearly jumped ahead of both of the other programs. The St. Thomas program is more of a cultural program, and the theology available has not impressed me. Also, I take to heart what my priest said, but honestly, Im tired of having to sort through what I am being taught and needing to constantly argue. I would cherish the chance to be taught. Sat down and taught. I have learned more on this board and through the reading recommended (*and my own book addiction) than I have while at CRC. If you guys are a product of FUS than that is what I want. I want to be taught the faith.

Any help you guys can give me would be great..buy her flowers..talk about how pretty I am..whatever works.

Oh, she mentioned that the Ma Theo and the Catechistics are different and the Catechistics would be extra credits. What exactly is the practical difference?

Posted (edited)

guess I got too excited and doubled.

Edited by Revprodeji
Posted

Rev,

There are still problems at ST. But it is producing some excellent preists. I think it has greatly improved and is still improving. I know the spiritual director for the young seminarians. He is rock solid. I don't think it is a bad theological school but likely has some tenured professors who have not been flushed out yet. It was bad in the 80's and early nineties I believe.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...