Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Holy Preacher Batman I Am Doing A Sermon Tomorrow!


Recommended Posts

Posted

By "GRE" do you mean "GPA"?


FAid is an important part and one of the attractions of St. Thomas because they allow 18,000 per year towards living expenses because they do not want their students working while attending their masters program.

Also, you said I would need to attend 2 classes as FUS, how does that happen?

3 letters of rec and an essay sounds too easy

Posted

rev............you needed stories and stuff, right?

try this:
[url="http://www.sermonillustrations.com/"]http://www.sermonillustrations.com/[/url]

if you do a google search for "bible illustrations" you'll find more sites just like it. its protestant, so it will probably work well w/ what ur tryin to do.

Posted

What are you doing getting back on topic..;)

yea, I know that site. I have no problem with sermons, i have a bloody undergrad in it. I just wanted he advice of the pham on how to use this chance to show catholic truths without plowing them over.

Now, the important thing..How good of a reference would you give me if I seriously considered FUS..:P

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

Did you give your sermon? How'd it go?

Posted

A few ideas from Romans:

Romans 2:15 - Natural Law

Romans 5:12-19 - original sin

Also, if you really want to analyze something, analyze Acts 15 - the Council of Jerusalem - and how the apostles rendered a decision as part of their "binding and loosing" and how they did not practice "sola scriptura"

Posted

You lost me norseman.

Raphel,

Student grade was an A-, too many big words I guess.

but the professor in charge of our academics gave me a 61% because I did not "persuade their will, munipulate them to action" In which I replied. "are you kidding me, is it impossible for protestants to train and instruct without munipulation?"

Posted

In other words get them to trust you. But are we not supposed to "trust not in man"? :blink:

Posted

honestly, I am gonna get in trouble with this prof. He was one of the guys that interviewed me for the academic scholarship in theology when I was coming to the school. So not a fan of my catholicism. Anyway, in the heat of battled I accused his preaching style to that of a MLM where the empathsis is not on facts or mutual education/learning but rather on a built up emotional decision. it makes me kinda sick

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1124419' date='Nov 20 2006, 02:24 PM']
You lost me norseman.

[/quote]

I was just giving a few ideas for sermons.

But seriously, if you are looking to "sneak in" a Catholic idea, Acts 15 is a perfect example of how the apostles did NOT practice sola scriptura; rather, it is an example of how the Church has authority to render decisions and can lead to future sermons as to where this authority rests today.

Edited by Norseman82
Posted

awesome, thanks. My last sermon is actually a textual so I could play with that.

I need to find a way to munipulate my audience..maybe get them to convert?

Posted (edited)

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1124850' date='Nov 20 2006, 11:42 PM']
I need to find a way to munipulate my audience..maybe get them to convert?
[/quote]

Did you ever see the Dave Allen skit in which a group of atheists were herded into a church and the priest says, "This is Fr. XXXXX; nobody who has ever heard him remains an atheist".

Fr. XXXXX takes the pulpit and asks, "OK, is there anyone here who does not believe in God?"

A man stands up and says "I don't".

Fr. XXXXX pulls out a pistol and shoots him dead. "Anyone else?"

Everyone gets on their knees....

(Disclaimer: No, I am NOT advising you to bring your military rifle you posted with you to your next sermon!!)

Edited by Norseman82
Posted

Nice..

a lil near proselytism but it would also provide an illustration

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1124419' date='Nov 20 2006, 03:24 PM']
You lost me norseman.

Raphel,

Student grade was an A-, too many big words I guess.

but the professor in charge of our academics gave me a 61% because I did not "persuade their will, munipulate them to action" In which I replied. "are you kidding me, is it impossible for protestants to train and instruct without munipulation?"
[/quote]
I don't think manipulate is the right word. We say "teach for conversion," that is, build the arguments up and state them in such a way so as to move the heart (by the help of the Holy Spirit alone) toward conversion.

Anyway, yeah...I'd say this is one of those topics where the point for conversion is less obvious, but it's there: "what does our human nature say about how we should respond to God?"

Anyway, really quick lesson in catechetics according to the ecclesial method (never officially endorsed, but has a strong tradition in the Church)...

Any catechesis should have five parts:

[b]Preparation[/b]
-Use "calculated disengagement" to get their minds off of other things
-Bring them into the mystery
-Music, movie clips, readings, etc., are helpful here.
[b]Proclamation[/b]
-In a nutshell, give the point of the lesson, from God's perspective...who, what, where, when, why, how?
[b]Explanation[/b]
-Pick the main points of the topic and explain them systematically, going from one to the other with a logical flow according to the way humans tend to think...one question leading to another until you really cover the main points of the message
-Use examples, Scripture, quotes from saints, etc.
[b]Application[/b]
-Find a way to show how the whole thing is relevant to them and how they can use it in their lives
-Emphasize the great benefit this teaching will have to their good, especially in eternity
[b]Celebration[/b]
-Once they understand and have reflected on the meaning as it relates to their own lives, give them the opportunity to put it into practice a little

Remember that it is very important to keep in mind that your goal is the salvation of their souls; therefore, you must teach for conversion. Since it is God's own teaching style to accomodate His message to our way of hearing (not to water it down, but to put it in a form we'll understand), you must imitate this by reaching out to them in a way they will get it, firstly as humans, by putting it in a way that human thought is prone to process lessons, and secondly with their own individual characteristics.

Posted

Raphel,

Im quoting the term munipulation from my notes. Also, you speak about solid arguments and the ability to understand them. My teacher is talking about colorful stories and emotionally moving language. It is the same tricks you learn in business to make the sale.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1125028' date='Nov 21 2006, 11:01 AM']
Raphel,

Im quoting the term munipulation from my notes. Also, you speak about solid arguments and the ability to understand them. My teacher is talking about colorful stories and emotionally moving language. It is the same tricks you learn in business to make the sale.
[/quote]
Oh, I understand that your teacher really meant manipulation. That's no great surprise to me. I had a fundamentalist once compliment me on my beautiful crucifix and then, after we had debated for quite a while, he said, "you do know that Jesus rose from the dead, right?" He'd just been trying to manipulate me into thinking he was a nice guy so I'd let my guard down...little did he know that I knew darn well what those Chick tracts he was handing out were. Once he realized that I knew my faith, he felt much better about trying to attack me.

I quoted St. Paul to him, "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified" (1 Cor 2:2).

Posted

I had a girl in my christology out of the blue say the same thing. She thought that catholics didnt believe in the resurrection because of the crucifix.

I couldnt imagine being an evangelical trying to "minister" to someone trained like you. Talk about bitting off more than you can chew

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' post='1124909' date='Nov 21 2006, 01:51 AM']
I don't think manipulate is the right word. We say "teach for conversion,"[/quote]haha, i love you dude :D: (i'm saying that b/c ur sooooo right. i can't tell you how many times i've heard that phrase. teach for conversion! TEACH FOR CONVERSION!!)


[quote name='Raphael' post='1125058' date='Nov 21 2006, 11:39 AM']
I quoted St. Paul to him, "For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified" (1 Cor 2:2).[/quote]how much do i LOVE that verse? i mean really.....

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1125065' date='Nov 21 2006, 11:46 AM']
I had a girl in my christology out of the blue say the same thing. She thought that catholics didnt believe in the resurrection because of the crucifix.

I couldnt imagine being an evangelical trying to "minister" to someone trained like you. Talk about bitting off more than you can chew
[/quote]
Yeah, the real question is: what's the pivotal moment in the Paschal Mystery? The Resurrection necessarily flows from the Cross, because the chains of death couldn't hold Christ down...once He died, there was no possible outcome besides the Resurrection. Therefore, the Crucifixion is the pivotal moment because that's where He lovingly offered Himself and most certainly intended by that act to rise again.

Besides, it's too hard to wear an emblem of an open cave and a guy walking out of it around your neck...who would recognize it without getting really close? :P:

Posted

Ok,

I wrote someone at FUS distance program..LEts see what is up..Not getting my hopes up, but who knows.

Posted

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1127872' date='Nov 26 2006, 01:17 AM']
Ok,

I wrote someone at FUS distance program..LEts see what is up..Not getting my hopes up, but who knows.
[/quote]
cool, let us know how it goes. u may also want to just call someone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...