An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christmas At Wal-mart

Groo the Wanderer

Groo the Wanderer

[url="http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/09/news/companies/walmart_christmas/index.htm?postversion=2006110909"]http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/09/news/compa...sion=2006110909[/url]
:drool: :drool: :saint: :saint:

every little bit helps :D:

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

Yeah, I have never understood the big stink people made about this. I mean, I love Christmas and I am happy that the season approacheth, but it doesn't steal one iota of my joy to have someone say "Happy Holidays" to me instead of "Merry Christmas."

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1115953' date='Nov 9 2006, 10:21 AM']
Yeah, I have never understood the big stink people made about this. I mean, I love Christmas and I am happy that the season approacheth, but it doesn't steal one iota of my joy to have someone say "Happy Holidays" to me instead of "Merry Christmas."
[/quote]

I for one take it as a personal assault on my faith and get quite miffed and offended by the out of control political correctness.

Our Prot brethern are dead-on on this one - put Christ back in Christmas! and keep it there!!!! :maddest:

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1115962' date='Nov 9 2006, 09:39 AM']
I for one take it as a personal assault on my faith and get quite miffed and offended by the out of control political correctness.

Our Prot brethern are dead-on on this one - put Christ back in Christmas! and keep it there!!!! :maddest:
[/quote]
I have never thought that wishing someone "Happy Holidays" takes Christ out of Christmas. And frankly, if Wal-mart is using "Merry Christmas" as a means of luring Christians to shop there over the holidays, I find that much more offensive than them not saying "Merry Christmas" at all. I am not a fan of using Christ as a marketing tool.

But that's just me.

franciscanheart

I don't like hearing 'Merry Christmas' before Christmas. :mellow: IT'S NOT CHRISTMAS YET! LET ME HAVE MY TIME TO PREPARE FOR THE BIRTH OF CHRIST, PLEASE! ... In addition to that, I agree with what Sojourner said just above me.

franciscanheart

Before you get all gung-ho on Wal-Mart, check this out: [url="http://sfomom.blogspot.com/2006/11/open-letter-to-wal-mart-corporation.html"]http://sfomom.blogspot.com/2006/11/open-le...orporation.html[/url]

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1116018' date='Nov 9 2006, 01:32 PM']
I don't like hearing 'Merry Christmas' before Christmas. :mellow: IT'S NOT CHRISTMAS YET! LET ME HAVE MY TIME TO PREPARE FOR THE BIRTH OF CHRIST, PLEASE! ... In addition to that, I agree with what Sojourner said just above me.
[/quote]

Seriously. At least wait until after Thanksgiving. I drove my sister to work 2 days ago and as I turned the corner onto the main street we both gave snorts of disbelief mingled with laughter. All up and down the street were Christmas decorations hanging from the street lights and the few evergreen trees were strung with lights. I shook my head and said "Our town is dumb." She laughed.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1116044' date='Nov 9 2006, 02:27 PM']
Seriously. At least wait until after Thanksgiving. I drove my sister to work 2 days ago and as I turned the corner onto the main street we both gave snorts of disbelief mingled with laughter. All up and down the street were Christmas decorations hanging from the street lights and the few evergreen trees were strung with lights. I shook my head and said "Our town is dumb." She laughed.
[/quote]

Santa is already at the mall by me. I think he came in with The Great Pumpkin :)

Ok, first of all...the reason you were getting "Happy Holidays" was because some shmucks were darned tootin angry that we had the absolute gall to include Christ in Christmas.
The nerve of us. In their eyes, one thing had nothing to do with the other. Im not talking presents and Santa, but the fact that some narrow minded people like me actually celebrated Christ's birthday on Christmas and couldnt distinguish one from the other.

So they complained that their first ammendment something or another was being violated and they were being 'forced' to hear "Merry Christmas' and so companies like Walmart figured that it wouldnt be hurting anyones sensitive capabilities if they simply said "Happy Holidays" instead.
As far as the company that I work for, I had to go through 2 months of secular "holiday" music without ONE reference to whom it was actually being celebrated for.

"Deck the Halls" and "Here comes Santa Clause" but absolutely no "Oh, Holy Night" or "Away in the Manger".

franciscanheart

Why are we so concerned with the aetheists? Let them rant and rave and think that we say happy holidays because of them. Who cares?

The Jewish people are celebrating multiple holidays around this time. As are the people who celebrate Kwanza. I'm sure there are other religious celebrations as well.

People should take a chill pill.