An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christmas At Wal-mart

Groo the Wanderer

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1116014' date='Nov 9 2006, 01:14 PM']
I have never thought that wishing someone "Happy Holidays" takes Christ out of Christmas. [/quote]

When a Corp. like walmart says "Happy Holidays" the purpose is to take Christ out of Christmas to avoid offending non-christians...

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1116014' date='Nov 9 2006, 01:14 PM']
And frankly, if Wal-mart is using "Merry Christmas" as a means of luring Christians to shop there over the holidays, I find that much more offensive than them not saying "Merry Christmas" at all. I am not a fan of using Christ as a marketing tool.

But that's just me.
[/quote]

You have a point but if they want my money they could at least wish me a "merry christmas." That is why I'm droping my hard earned money in the frist place.

Groo the Wanderer

Dunno about the veracity of the info on this site, but it certainly worth pondering:

[url="http://christocentric.com/Kwanzaa/"]http://christocentric.com/Kwanzaa/[/url]

I for one think Kwanzaa is a fake holiday. But then, nobody asked me so I'll hush now. :lol:

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1116279' date='Nov 9 2006, 04:24 PM']
When a Corp. like walmart says "Happy Holidays" the purpose is to take Christ out of Christmas to avoid offending non-christians...
[/quote]
And that affects me how? Whether Wal-Mart says "Merry Christmas" or not has no bearing whatsoever on whether Christ is a part of Christmas. I don't give a flying flip about whether I get greeted by a Merry Christmas or a Happy Holiday or just a smile.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1116279' date='Nov 9 2006, 04:24 PM']
You have a point but if they want my money they could at least wish me a "merry christmas." That is why I'm droping my hard earned money in the frist place.
[/quote]
Hey, if someone saying "Merry Christmas" makes you feel more comfortable about buying cheap products from a company with questionable business practices which used the name of Jesus to lure you in the door, more power to you.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1116304' date='Nov 9 2006, 04:47 PM']
Dunno about the veracity of the info on this site, but it certainly worth pondering:

[url="http://christocentric.com/Kwanzaa/"]http://christocentric.com/Kwanzaa/[/url]

I for one think Kwanzaa is a fake holiday. But then, nobody asked me so I'll hush now. :lol:
[/quote]
As long as no one tells me which of my holidays are OK to celebrate, I won't presume to tell anyone else what they should celebrate.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1116319' date='Nov 9 2006, 06:09 PM']
Hey, if someone saying "Merry Christmas" makes you feel more comfortable about buying cheap products from a company with questionable business practices which used the name of Jesus to lure you in the door, more power to you.[/quote]
[quote name='Sojourner' post='1116319' date='Nov 9 2006, 06:09 PM']
As long as no one tells me which of my holidays are OK to celebrate, I won't presume to tell anyone else what they should celebrate.[/quote]
:lol_sign: I'm with you on this one, Soj.

Heck, at Wal-mart I'd just be happy with enough check outs open that I don't have to stand in line for 20 minutes every time I go.

And I'm with L_D ... Festivus for the Rest of Us!

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1116319' date='Nov 9 2006, 07:09 PM']
And that affects me how? Whether Wal-Mart says "Merry Christmas" or not has no bearing whatsoever on whether Christ is a part of Christmas. I don't give a flying flip about whether I get greeted by a Merry Christmas or a Happy Holiday or just a smile.
Hey, if someone saying "Merry Christmas" makes you feel more comfortable about buying cheap products from a company with questionable business practices which used the name of Jesus to lure you in the door, more power to you.
As long as no one tells me which of my holidays are OK to celebrate, I won't presume to tell anyone else what they should celebrate.
[/quote]

My goodness for someone that doesnt care either way, you seem to take it quite personally. But as for the holidays which are ok and not ok to celebrate it does depend on where we work and what we say we are celebrating. If we as Americans are banned from wishing our brethren Merry Christian we are being told it is not OK to celebrate a part of Christmas, even if its only at the work place.

You have a good point about Christ as a marketing tool, but have you thought of the Christian that may work at one of these stores who is forbidden to wish someone Merry Christmas, because that is a Christian Holy Day. Or should that Christian take off their faith before coming to work?

Groo the Wanderer

GAH!!!!!!

Just got en email from AFA about Walmart. I've been hoodwinked! They announce the Merry Christmas thing out loud for all to see, then behind the scense they do this:

In a show of support to help homosexuals legalize same-sex marriage, Wal-Mart has agreed to automatically donate 5% of online sales directly to the Washington DC Community Center for Gay, Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender People. The cash donation will come from online purchases made at Wal-Mart through the homosexual group's Web site. This move follows Wal-Mart's joining the National Gay and Lesbian Chamber of Commerce and agreeing to give generous financial help to that organization also.

Every purchase made online for books, music, videos, clothing and accessories, children's clothing and toys, and electronics at the site will automatically send 5% of the sales to the CCBLBT People. The agreement is an indication that Wal-Mart is totally committed to supporting the homosexual movement.

Wal-Mart also gave a generous cash donation to the Northwest Arkansas Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Community Center, helping to provide a place where homosexuals can come together to "socialize."

I am such a sucker..... :weep: :ohno: :pinch:

Edited by Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Sojourner' post='1116319' date='Nov 9 2006, 07:09 PM']
[/quote]
Thank you, Miss Scrooge. You fill me with Christmas (oh, sorry, I meant generic "holiday") cheer already. And it's not even Thanksgiving (oops, guess we should ban that one from the public too, as it implies there's Someone to give thanks to - might offend some touchy atheist out there - we'll just call it "Turkey Day.")

(And let's be very careful to never, ever mention the name of Jesus or Christmas in a public place of [i]business[/i], lest we sully it by the presence of [i]Capitalism[/i]!)

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1116044' date='Nov 9 2006, 02:27 PM']
Seriously. At least wait until after Thanksgiving. I drove my sister to work 2 days ago and as I turned the corner onto the main street we both gave snorts of disbelief mingled with laughter. All up and down the street were Christmas decorations hanging from the street lights and the few evergreen trees were strung with lights. I shook my head and said "Our town is dumb." She laughed.
[/quote]

I went to a store the last week of October and felt as if I'd stepped into the Twilight Zone. There was a couple of aisles of Halloween stuff next to the Thanksgiving stuff next to the huge area of Christmas stuff..........I felt dizzy.

It comes down to this.

I decided last year that I wouldnt buy gifts for anyone. Not to be a scrooge, but to experience Christmas for what it was truly for...Christ's Mass. I encouraged other family members to do so also and in the end it was a great success. Talk about people being relaxed!!!!
I spent time with friends and family. There was no pressure for anyone to run out and spend money on items that would probably get thrown into the back of a closet or "re-gift'd" out. We just enjoyed being together during such a Holy season.

Yeah, my hubby felt a bit odd on Christmas morning cause we didnt exchange gifts.. but he also said it was nice not freaking out trying to figure out what to get me. I had the best gifts anyway. Him, my family and friends, my health, and my ever growing love for Christ and his Church.

I will use my job for example...cause I dont shop at Walmart unless I have no choice...the parking is terrible and the traffic is ridiculous, the lines are long and there is never...as in never...as in throughout the year so why should the holidays be any better...anyone around to assist you.

My job expects us to decorate for the "Do not say the name" holidays. It's mandatory. I find it odd considering that we cant hang one banner that reads anything specific like, Happy Hannakah and Merry Christmas. Uh, we cant even say it.

There's a menorah over there with plastic dradels(sp?) and pretty blue and silver everything, the display is filled with TONS kosher items.... but dont...I mean...DO NOT...say the words. If I should wish someone a Happy H.........ka, I would be violating some unwritten company policy. Oh, the horror!! Someone just might turn me in to the PC police.
And the green and red 'stuff'...the something or another tree, all the pretty fake gifts, stockings, hats, sparkling lights and I could go on......
But dont say it....dont even think about it...you MIGHT offend someone. Even though there is generic secular "holiday" (meaning...christmas...who said that? shhhhhh) music pumping out the speakers...displays everywhere as far as the eye can see..and believe me...we cover all holidays. The only thing missing from that red and green display I mentioned is...
You guessed it....Christ.

Trees are ok but dont even think about a manger display. whew! that would be such a massive mistake.
Santa is in and Christ is out.
Menorahs are fine but dont acknowledge that it is the key to a holy day like Hannauka.
So dradels are in and God is out.
(the great thing about dradels is the hebrew words on them. Most people dont know what they mean...silly people. Leave it to the Jews to get around them. he, he.)

But go figure. Dont wish anyone a Merry thing. Forget the Happy whatnots. You can "offend" them with visuals that resemble but are not specific with written words, but as long as it isnt verbal..then you have violated no one and no one can complain.

:wacko:

Kwaanza? Im pretty sure it isnt a holy day, though we party it up with decorations all the same. It really isnt big here which is a surprise considering the mix of races that live in my town. Im not even sure I can say Kwaanza at work, I'll have to check with the PC chart when I get back there tomorrow.

I am not offended by Hannaka. I find it to be a most beautiful holy-day.
And why should I be offended by Kwaanza? Why shouldnt I learn about the beauty of another culture? Are they not my brothers and sisters also?

But those other days...you know the ones....do they even exist anymore? Im meant in their original format. Thats ok...cause no one talks about it. Maybe it isnt really there. Maybe all that stuff I just mentioned.. ya know.. the tinsel and such...Maybe....its a mirage.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1116574' date='Nov 9 2006, 10:32 PM']
And it's not even Thanksgiving (oops, guess we should ban that one from the public too, as it implies there's Someone to give thanks to - might offend some touchy atheist out there - we'll just call it "Turkey Day.")[/quote]

In protest, that is what we call it at work.

Ticks off the suits something fierce. My hubby got yelled at cause "Its THANKSGIVING, not Turkey Day! Thanksgiving has nothing to do with GOD!!"

Happy Turkey Day everyone!!!!!!

goldenchild17

I don't really care which phrase a person chooses to use. Unless I knew they were doing it on purpose (ie. to not say Merry Christmas on purpose). Like my Astronomy prof says gesundheit (sp?) every time someone sneezes, and I think he does it for a reason (instead of saying God bless you). I don't know but it seems that way.

[quote name='Quietfire' post='1116894' date='Nov 10 2006, 04:02 PM']
It comes down to this.

I decided last year that I wouldnt buy gifts for anyone. Not to be a scrooge, but to experience Christmas for what it was truly for...Christ's Mass. I encouraged other family members to do so also and in the end it was a great success. Talk about people being relaxed!!!!
I spent time with friends and family. There was no pressure for anyone to run out and spend money on items that would probably get thrown into the back of a closet or "re-gift'd" out. We just enjoyed being together during such a Holy season.

Yeah, my hubby felt a bit odd on Christmas morning cause we didnt exchange gifts.. but he also said it was nice not freaking out trying to figure out what to get me. I had the best gifts anyway. Him, my family and friends, my health, and my ever growing love for Christ and his Church.

I will use my job for example...cause I dont shop at Walmart unless I have no choice...the parking is terrible and the traffic is ridiculous, the lines are long and there is never...as in never...as in throughout the year so why should the holidays be any better...anyone around to assist you.

My job expects us to decorate for the "Do not say the name" holidays. It's mandatory. I find it odd considering that we cant hang one banner that reads anything specific like, Happy Hannakah and Merry Christmas. Uh, we cant even say it.

There's a menorah over there with plastic dradels(sp?) and pretty blue and silver everything, the display is filled with TONS kosher items.... but dont...I mean...DO NOT...say the words. If I should wish someone a Happy H.........ka, I would be violating some unwritten company policy. Oh, the horror!! Someone just might turn me in to the PC police.
And the green and red 'stuff'...the something or another tree, all the pretty fake gifts, stockings, hats, sparkling lights and I could go on......
But dont say it....dont even think about it...you MIGHT offend someone. Even though there is generic secular "holiday" (meaning...christmas...who said that? shhhhhh) music pumping out the speakers...displays everywhere as far as the eye can see..and believe me...we cover all holidays. The only thing missing from that red and green display I mentioned is...
You guessed it....Christ.

Trees are ok but dont even think about a manger display. whew! that would be such a massive mistake.
Santa is in and Christ is out.
Menorahs are fine but dont acknowledge that it is the key to a holy day like Hannauka.
So dradels are in and God is out.
(the great thing about dradels is the hebrew words on them. Most people dont know what they mean...silly people. Leave it to the Jews to get around them. he, he.)
But go figure. Dont wish anyone a Merry thing. Forget the Happy whatnots. You can "offend" them with visuals that resemble but are not specific with written words, but as long as it isnt verbal..then you have violated no one and no one can complain.

:wacko: [/quote]
Political correctness - the great insanity of our age! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

[quote]Kwaanza? Im pretty sure it isnt a holy day, though we party it up with decorations all the same. It really isnt big here which is a surprise considering the mix of races that live in my town. Im not even sure I can say Kwaanza at work, I'll have to check with the PC chart when I get back there tomorrow.

I am not offended by Hannaka. I find it to be a most beautiful holy-day.
And why should I be offended by Kwaanza? Why shouldnt I learn about the beauty of another culture? Are they not my brothers and sisters also?[/quote]
Kwanzaa is actually not a traditional holiday at all.
It was invented in the late '60s by a crazy black radical Communist as a black "alternative" to Christmas. He regarded Christianity as a "white man's religion."
(And btw, the vast majority of black Americans do not celebrate "Kwanzaa.")

While I am not exactly "offended" at Kwanzaa, it's not really something I can support, knowing where it comes from, and setting up this artificially constructed "holiday" on the same level as Christmas is just short of obscene.
Imagine the reaction if some crazy White Supremacist type invented an "Aryan" alternative to Christmas! Think we'd be celebrating it in the schools?

Again, I despise political correctness!

Edited by Socrates