An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christmas At Wal-mart

Groo the Wanderer

franciscanheart

Instead of focusing our efforts towards stubbornness and showing our power in numbers, perhaps we should be thinking selflessly and realizing that while it is perfectly acceptable that retails say "Merry Christmas", it might also be acceptable to us for them to say "Happy Holidays" for the other religious holidays. So the aetheists complained. Instead of making it about them, let's make it about recognizing other faiths and their significant religious traditions that fall in this time of year.

No matter what, I think that if they are saying what they are saying for financial reasons, they shouldn't be saying anything at all.

funny thing is I have never had anyone ask where the "holiday trees" were :lol:

I'm still waiting for that one

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1116121' date='Nov 9 2006, 04:00 PM']
Why are we so concerned with the aetheists? Let them rant and rave and think that we say happy holidays because of them. Who cares?

The Jewish people are celebrating multiple holidays around this time. As are the people who celebrate Kwanza. I'm sure there are other religious celebrations as well.
People should take a chill pill.
[/quote]

Tell me about it.
And I [i]work[/i] at Wal*Mart... so I gotta see this and hear it 40 hours every week :idontknow: it doesn't bother me
and I'll be getting ready for Festivus in within a month

Kwanzaa is a relatively new holiday, invented in 1965 by American black nationalist Maulana Karenga. Since then, it has been widely adopted by blacks all over the world. It is celebrated by almost 20 million people.

In creating Kwanzaa, Karenga adapted harvest festivals and rituals from Africa. The name comes from a Swahili phrase, matunda ya kwanza, meaning first fruit. Karenga's idea was to bring families together to celebrate and strengthen important values in the black community. Karenga chose seven principles, called Nguzo Saba, from the various African harvest festivals he studied. They are- unity, self-determination, collective work and responsibility, cooperative economics, purpose, creativity, and faith. Each of the holiday's seven days is devoted to celebrating one of the principles.

Some people mistakenly believe that Kwanzaa is a black version of Christmas, since it is celebrated from December 26 to January 1.

There was no conflict with Christmas as one had nothing to do with the other.
As far as our Jewish breathren, please read this:

[url="http://www.jews4fairness.org/pr120105.php"]jews4fairness[/url]

I think Don Feder puts it better than I do.

There is a small minority of people against Christmas, yet they are the ones we cater to.

I have no problem with a heartfelt "Happy Holidays" as that is MY usual response at work when dealing with the public, and it is that...heartfelt and honest. Those who are offended by Christmas were not those celebrating Kwaanza or Hannukah when I investigated this and experienced it.

What then, is the point of playing "Here comes Santa Clause", "Rudolph the Red nosed raindeer" , "Rockin' around the Christmas tree" and such if the problem is just Christmas, as that music still rings out the holiday in a round about, if not secular way.

My point is that Christ has been taken out of the equation.

This is something that was a topic last Christmas time.....I remember threads on it.

but now its ok I guess.

franciscanheart

My point was/is not that these people have a problem with Christmas. Nor was/is my point that Kwanza was the black equivalent of Christmas. (I've read about it before. I've had a book on it since I was about 8.)

My point was/is that Christmas is not the only holiday or celebration going on during this time. To be offended or outraged at people saying "Happy Holidays" seems silly when there is no hard and fast way to tell who will be celebrating Christmas, Hannukah, or Kwanza (or a mix of them).

homeschoolmom

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1116044' date='Nov 9 2006, 01:27 PM']
Seriously. At least wait until after Thanksgiving. I drove my sister to work 2 days ago and as I turned the corner onto the main street we both gave snorts of disbelief mingled with laughter. All up and down the street were Christmas decorations hanging from the street lights and the few evergreen trees were strung with lights. I shook my head and said "Our town is dumb." She laughed.
[/quote]
Well, to be fair... I wouldn't want to have to be the schmuck who has to hang Christmas decorations in freezing temps either. IMHO it's okay to put up your lights while the weather is still relatively nice, but please don't turn them on until at least Thanksgiving.

For the record, the HSFam doesn't put up lights outside because... I don't like them up all winter.

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1116170' date='Nov 9 2006, 05:06 PM']
...To be offended or outraged at people saying "Happy Holidays" seems silly when there is no hard and fast way to tell who will be celebrating Christmas, Hannukah, or Kwanza (or a mix of them).
[/quote]
...or festivus

So like I said, while I work at wal*Mart among the music and what-not I think I may bid customers a Happy Festivus
If they get aggravated or offended by my beliefs - so be it.

I remember hearing about this last year. It was a hot topic around. I think they are smart to change it back. Is this for Walmart Canada too or just the USA Walmart?

[quote name='RC_' post='1116243' date='Nov 9 2006, 05:59 PM']
I thought Christianity was banned from Canada...
[/quote]

:lol: haha! maybe they are still working on that