An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant Traditions

Katholikos

Anybody have any Protestant Traditions to add or subtract? Any comments?
------------------------------------------------------
Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone)

Private, personal interpretation of Scripture

Sola Fide (Faith Alone)

Grape juice instead of wine for communion

Crackers or Wonder bread for communion

Altar calls

The "Sinner's Prayer"

Baptism isn't regenerative or necessary

Immersion only

Once Saved, Always Saved

Bowing head to pray

-----------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!

[quote]i don't even know what to say to you anymore[/quote]

Don't jump the gun my friend. He isn't nessessarily puting them in Bad light. I had many Protestant traditions I was proud of, before I knew what they really were about.

[u]My previous Protestant traditions[/u]

-Reformation Celebration (Party every October)

[u]others[/u]

-Believers Baptism

-The Rapture (Pre, Mid, Post tribulations)

-Re-baptising [those whom don't fit the specfic denominations pick of the liter]

-Big Tent Revival

Edited by GloriaIesusChristi

he's an instigator. trying to dialogue with him is like talking to a brick wall. he never acknowledges any points by the opposition. he uses the same 3-4 arguments on ever thread. and so on.

[b]Revivals[/b]

[b]Vacation Bible School [/b]

[b]Sunday evening Services[/b]

[b]Walking down the aisle[/b]-upon accepting Christ one would have to "walk down the aisle" publically at the next service and have the pastor introduce you as a member of the church.

[b]Sunday afternoon church picnics[/b]

*My memories from when I was growing up in the deep south.....years before I converted*

Edited by Mary-Kathryn

[quote]he's an instigator. trying to dialogue with him is like talking to a brick wall. he never acknowledges any points by the opposition. he uses the same 3-4 arguments on ever thread. and so on.
[/quote]

I wouldn't say an instigator. However, being described as a brickwall in accordance to dialogue could be seen partialy as a good thing.

Believe me mulls, no abject harm intended.

[quote]Walking down the aisle-upon accepting Christ one would have to "walk down the aisle" publically at the next service and have the pastor introduce you as a member of the church.[/quote]

quite akward...

Is it really a tradition? i had more of a "free church" where they did things simply because they wanted to do those things. Not because it was a tradition in any form. Now, this is the extreme, because most eccesiologies do have intense tradtions, but that would be case-specific on the denomination.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1131803' date='Nov 30 2006, 10:52 AM']
Is there a topic to be debated here?
[/quote]

My thought was that perhaps Katholikos was looking to generate some peaceful dialogue/debate highlighting protestant traditions. Some of the basic differences have been beaten so far into the ground I'm ready to pull out a lawn chair, fire up the grill, and flip a few burgers while watching that crater get bigger and deeper. ;)

The one thing I was confused by was categorizing "bowing head to pray" as being a Protestant tradition in post #1. It's true I am a convert, but don't cradle Catholics bow their heads--at least some of the time-- when they pray? I would find it odd to pray while staring off into space or eyeballing the back of someone's head at Mass. It just seems disrespectful too.

Edited by Mary-Kathryn

[quote]The one thing I was confused by was categorizing "bowing head to pray" as being a Protestant tradition in post #1. It's true I am a convert, but don't cradle Catholics bow their heads--at least some of the time-- when they pray? I would find it odd to pray while staring off into space or eyeballing the back of someone's head at Mass. It just seems disrespectful too.[/quote]

Bowing your head is almost unforgettable. As for me my eyes are closed in mass during prayer, whether my head is bowed or not.

here is some to remember:

[b]Liftinging hands during prayer[/b]

[b] Rolling in the ailes[/b]

[b] speaking in tounges[/b]

homeschoolmom

But these are all some traditions (small t) for some protestants... None of these traditions is accepted by all Protestants (with the possible exception of head bowing).

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1131535' date='Nov 29 2006, 10:03 PM']
Anybody have any Protestant Traditions to add or subtract? Any comments?
[/quote]
These aren't all true of every Protestant denomination. I'll elaborate below.

Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone)
[/quote]
Many people of Pentecostal persuasion put equal stock in personal revelation by the Holy Spirit. One friend who converted from Assemblies of God to Catholic said Sola Scriptura wasn't a stumbling block to her because of this.

Private, personal interpretation of Scripture
[/quote]
Many Protestant denominations temper this general principle with some level of denominational authority, or a common confession that members ascribe to.

Grape juice instead of wine for communion

Crackers or Wonder bread for communion
[/quote]
True for some, but not all, denominations. Most do use grape juice, notable exceptions being Lutherans and Episcopalians/Anglicans. I've never seen Wonder Bread for communion, but some form of cracker, yes.

Altar calls

The "Sinner's Prayer"
[/quote]
Again, some, but not all. Not in higher Protestant churches.

Baptism isn't regenerative or necessary

Immersion only
[/quote]
I've never been in a Protestant church that didn't believe baptism was necessary to be a member of the church ... but most don't see it as necessary to salvation.

Immersion is true of Baptist denominations, and some others, but I was sprinkled (Presbyterian) and so are many others.

Once Saved, Always Saved

Bowing head to pray
[/quote]
Again true with most but not all.