An Old School Catholic Message Board

Protestant Traditions

Katholikos

[quote]
None of them are mandated in the Bible. That's the point. Why do folks who claim to base their faith on Sola Scriptura develop these unbiblical practices?
[/quote]

ayyye :ohno:

are church parking lots unbiblical too by this definition?

how about picnics?

i think they are.

[quote name='mulls' post='1134793' date='Dec 4 2006, 02:29 PM']
ayyye :ohno:

are church parking lots unbiblical too by this definition?

how about picnics?

i think they are.
[/quote]Parking lots and picnics are not doctrines and practices.

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1131535' date='Nov 30 2006, 12:03 AM']
Anybody have any Protestant Traditions to add or subtract? Any comments?
------------------------------------------------------

Crackers or Wonder bread for communion
-----------------------------------------
Blessed Father Damien, pray for us!
[/quote]

My mom used to be Protestant, she said they used pita bread for communion at her church

[quote name='avemaria40' post='1136704' date='Dec 6 2006, 05:32 PM']
My mom used to be Protestant, she said they used pita bread for communion at her church
[/quote]Pita bread! :blink:

The most bizarre "elements" I've ever heard of were morsels of cinnamon toast and hot chocolate served as "communion" at a wedding. The bride and groom were given their choice by the officiating Protestant minister.

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1136691' date='Dec 6 2006, 05:18 PM']
Parking lots and picnics are not doctrines and practices.
[/quote]

So define practice.

wouldn't bible studies be a "work" though, and not a practice? I mean, you're growing in your own faith, but you're also helping others grow in theirs too... and I don't think it's a practice, cuz as far as I can remember, no is is expected to do it, it's optional

:idontknow: I went from Methodist to Catholic 9 years ago, so I don't think I have enough ground to rep the Caflic faith.. although I've come a long way since then, during high school I grew a lot in knowldege of the Faith

Edited by got2luvjc

[quote name='mulls' post='1137038' date='Dec 6 2006, 10:51 PM']
So define practice.
[/quote]Simply put, doctrines = beliefs; practices = how beliefs are manifested.

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1137889' date='Dec 7 2006, 11:57 PM']
Simply put, doctrines = beliefs; practices = how beliefs are manifested.
[/quote]

ooooohhhhhhhh!! :duh: that makes sense. :duh:

So I think that in light of this, some things should be corrected... I think some people said that Bible studies are a protestant practice, but I think it's a Christian practice, cuz I do Bible studies sometimes... I always like to learn Scripture... it's kinda cool ya know :cool: and head bowing too, it's a Christian thing, cuz in mass sometimes the priest says @ the end "please bow your heads and pray for God's blessing"

but "a Christian thing" doesn't = everyone does it, but it's open to everyone I suppose

I was a Protestant for a score of years (20). I was rather comfortable in the "traditions" and practices of the Protestant faith. After I became Catholic, I realized that my comfortability was actually a great hinderance to my faith. I got into a zone where I was just going because I was told to and I never adhered to the principles that were taught.

Later, I happened to pick up a book at a really small Catholic bookstore in Cincinnati. It's a book about how the worship of Mary and the saints in the Catholic Church is very much in line with the Bible; it detailed the levels of worship that should be rendered to Mary, saints, and God. After reading this book I saw how the Protestant "traditions" were a way of filling the void left by the rejection of Mary and the saints in community of the church family.

As Catholics, we give absolute and total worship to God alone. We highly revere the saints and Mary. There is a two-tier system of worship in the Catholic Church, whereas it is a single-tier setup in the Protestant community. Because of this, the "traditions" practiced by the Protestants in their worship of God is the same level of worship we provide to Mary and the saints. To God we offer an even higher worhip -- absolute and total without need of worry that we are substituting anything or anyone for Him.

Edited by frozencell

catholimaniac

Wonder bread! That's killing me! I always wondered what Protestants use for communion and I figured Wonder bread and Ritz crackers would have to be the most viable choices.

No one has mentioned Accountability Partners. It's the Protestant substitute for confession. According to the Protestants I know, it doesnt' work.

How about worship leaders? Especially ones with gee-tars.

How's that for a first post?

[quote name='catholimaniac' post='1138228' date='Dec 8 2006, 04:52 PM']
How's that for a first post?
[/quote]

it's awesome. Keep the posts comin'!!

this is an incredibly frustrating thread.

is everyone saying that communion is an unbiblical tradition?

or that a certain type of bread used deems it an unbiblical practice.

maybe we should do communion without bread. because the Lord's supper is in the bible, but we're not told what kind of bread to use, so that must be the only biblical way of doing it.

i'm a masochist for even continuing on with this thread.

homeschoolmom

Well, I don't think it has to specifially say what kind of bread-- unleavened bread was used at the Passover meal and so unleavened bread it was!

We're not saying that communion is an unbiblical tradition at all. We are saying that the Protestant version of communion is less than is instructed in John 6. Please refer earlier to my post about the two-tir worship -- that will explain pretty much the difference between why Catholic eucharist is totally different from Protestant communion.