An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Station...

prose

[quote]Do you have questions about becoming a priest or a nun? Want to talk about your journey into the religious life? This is the place homey. [/quote]

This intro could have something to do with it. Are we supposed to go there if we are married (as was suggested in the past), or is it now for priest or nun vocations?

I definitely want Vocation Station to remain directed only towards those going into religious life/priesthood. We can't mix these up with marriage. I read this from a priest's blog:

"One more thing to avoid: please don’t lump a vocation to the priesthood in with vocations to the married life, the single life, ad. nau. Of course, these vocations are perfectly true and good and beautiful. But we aren’t suffering as a Church from a lack of husbands and single women. Lumping priestly vocations in with all other Christian vocations tends to level the priestly vocation and hides the urgency of the crisises of commitment and encouragement."

[url="http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/2006/11/thoughts-about-vocations.html"]http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/2006/11/thou...-vocations.html[/url]

Hmm it seems really nice that it's a hub for religious life discerners, but at the same time the title "vocation station" is a little misleading, as marriage and singlehood are vocations as well...

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1138413' date='Dec 9 2006, 03:00 AM']
I definitely want Vocation Station to remain directed only towards those going into religious life/priesthood. We can't mix these up with marriage. I read this from a priest's blog:

"One more thing to avoid: please don’t lump a vocation to the priesthood in with vocations to the married life, the single life, ad. nau. Of course, these vocations are perfectly true and good and beautiful. But we aren’t suffering as a Church from a lack of husbands and single women. Lumping priestly vocations in with all other Christian vocations tends to level the priestly vocation and hides the urgency of the crisises of commitment and encouragement."

[url="http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/2006/11/thoughts-about-vocations.html"]http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/2006/11/thou...-vocations.html[/url]
[/quote]

I dont know Catholic marriages aren't exactly iron clad these days. The behaviour of non-clerical and non-religious Catholics is also typically less than edifying. Maybe amongst Phatmassers there isnt so much need for a 'pure love club' because more or less everyone here regardless of vocation is going to try and be a good Christian. Yet, I dont think its fair to say that the Church is not struggling with vocations to marriage. A lot of cohabiting, "free love", and other such practices goes on amongst Catholics. There's a definite need for formation...Where's Alice Von Hildebrand when you need her wisdom?

Catholictothecore

I read somewhere that the number of divoreced catholics is actually higher than that of "secular" marriages. I know I read; it's like, 53% to 51%.

Maybe we need a different board altogether. Think about it, there's a lot that could be talked about. Whether the statement above is true or not, any divorce is...well, you try and tell God that [i]you're[/i] going to stop being one person.

I think that's the message that priests, parents, and even other married people out there need to get to those of us considering marriage. I personally would appreciate it if someone took notice.

I would actually love to see a "marriage" board (or forum, I can never keep the distinctions betweent he two quite straight...) eithr separate from, or as a sub-forum in the Vocations Station... :topsy:

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Myles Domini' post='1138466' date='Dec 9 2006, 12:20 AM']
A lot of cohabiting, "free love", and other such practices goes on amongst Catholics. There's a definite need for formation...Where's Alice Von Hildebrand when you need her wisdom?
[/quote]

I think it's more than "a lot." It's more like the standard... I would be surprised if 10% of married (Catholic or otherwise) actually waited until marriage to have sex. Maybe I'm a pessimist... all I know is everywhere I look, even among my somewhat faithful Baptist friends, couples have had sex (and then feel guilty) or just have a very low view of sex. Those who aren't having sex seem not to be joyful about it.

Interesting thing is, I was looking at statistics regarding sexual morality last night (from a pro-choice web site) and only about one-third of Australians believe cohabitating is acceptable. That was by far the lowest percentage... it's basically the opposite in the U.S. That stats regarding birth control usage, premartial sex, abortion, and other practices in the so-called "Catholic" countries were especially sobering. Of course, the stats might somehow be misleading, but I don't think the source had any reason to offer inaccurate numbers.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1138827' date='Dec 9 2006, 03:01 PM']
Interesting thing is, I was looking at statistics regarding sexual morality last night (from a pro-choice web site) and only about one-third of Australians believe cohabitating is acceptable. That was by far the lowest percentage... it's basically the opposite in the U.S. That stats regarding birth control usage, premartial sex, abortion, and other practices in the so-called "Catholic" countries were especially sobering. Of course, the stats might somehow be misleading, but I don't think the source had any reason to offer inaccurate numbers.
[/quote]
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in statistics unless they are from official sources. I saw a pro-choice person quoted as saying that something like 99% of Catholics use contraception, which I would say is totally false.

Edited by thedude

Just because more people tend to choose marriage does not mean that people do not need guidance and preparation for that vocation. I think it's fair to say that those discerning religious vocations are usually much more prepared for their vocation than those who decide to marry. People discerning marriage need support, too.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Colleen' post='1138891' date='Dec 9 2006, 05:01 PM']
Just because more people tend to choose marriage does not mean that people do not need guidance and preparation for that vocation. I think it's fair to say that those discerning religious vocations are usually much more prepared for their vocation than those who decide to marry. People discerning marriage need support, too.
[/quote]
I whole-heartedly agree. :)

Catholictothecore

[quote name='Colleen' post='1138891' date='Dec 9 2006, 05:01 PM']
[/quote]

Too true.

Sorry for digging up this thread again and again. But...I think, and I mean this in the politest and most honest of ways, that I'm going to keep bringing it as long as there are some people who'll post in it. I'm not speaking rebellion against the rules, but a fair number of us have talked about this either through this thread or pms. dUst, isn't there anything that could be done, or is there a reason why it couldn't be done that we could know about?