An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Station...

prose

mariaassunta

I think it is good to have a Marriage board, but at the same time too, if it was made, it should be an open board, otherwise it causes alot of bother and trouble for some people. Whereas in Vocation Station we come and talk freely, anyone can read it. But you take the risk in posting, so it would be the same with a marriage board COMMON SENSE. I mean we are not children. :lol_roll:

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='angelofmary' post='1940632' date='Aug 4 2009, 07:07 PM']I think it is good to have a Marriage board, but at the same time too, if it was made, it should be an open board, otherwise it causes alot of bother and trouble for some people. Whereas in Vocation Station we come and talk freely, anyone can read it. But you take the risk in posting, so it would be the same with a marriage board COMMON SENSE. [b]I mean we are not children[/b]. :lol_roll:[/quote]

Well, [i]some [/i]people on the internet [i]are [/i]children. That's the whole point.

princessgianna

[quote name='hugheyforlife' post='1138400' date='Dec 8 2006, 08:04 PM']I'm pretty sure that's the old title. I think most are welcoming towards all vocations. I am, at least. :)[/quote]
:raises hand:

I have always been unsure about if "marriage" was included. I mean that is a voacation! Everyone has a vocation!
[quote name='The Little Way' post='1138831' date='Dec 9 2006, 03:07 PM']We used to have an NFP board, but dUSt jettisoned it. That's all I'm going to say about that. :maddest:[/quote]

I won;t even think to comment on to this.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1940285' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:24 AM']I'm up for a marriage sub-forum. :ninja:[/quote]
Me too. :mellow: Marriage is a big deal. And many years to discern. Women are to be totally obedient to their husbands! ! That takes a leap of faith. A couple must be open to Life all the time. I could go on. It's not a walk in the park, and if it is then you are watching Disney! :mellow:

Edited by princessgianna

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1940285' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:24 AM']I'm up for a marriage sub-forum. :ninja:[/quote]

Is this a hint?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1940502' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:34 PM']+J.M.J.+
:think: thin air?[/quote]

That's right! Thin air! Thought nobody would guess it.

In fact, we all know from Sacred Tradition that Jesus, when heading up the first church committees in which he, Peter, and John were deciding what the Church should be like, only allowed Marriage to be a sacrament because they needed a seventh. Poor ol' Marriage... picked last like the scrawny nerdy kid at kickball...

Edited by LouisvilleFan

tinytherese

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1138827' date='Dec 9 2006, 04:01 PM']I think it's more than "a lot." It's more like the standard... I would be surprised if 10% of married (Catholic or otherwise) actually waited until marriage to have sex.[/quote]

Hmm, saying that 90% of all Catholics are sexually active before marriage doesn't seem very realistic to me. I know that a lot are fornicating, but that number sounds like an exaggeration.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1941083' date='Aug 5 2009, 06:26 AM']That's right! Thin air! Thought nobody would guess it.

In fact, we all know from Sacred Tradition that Jesus, when heading up the first church committees in which he, Peter, and John were deciding what the Church should be like, only allowed Marriage to be a sacrament because they needed a seventh. Poor ol' Marriage... picked last like the scrawny nerdy kid at kickball...[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
you nailed it! :yes:

VeniteAdoremus

I have SO MUCH to write on this topic, argh!

But the very short version of it is:

I think it would be very good to have a place where the beginnings of discernment are discussed, in a more "neutral" environment than the preferred hang-out of a gaggle of future sisters. Nothing against gaggles of future sisters, but en masse they tend to present a view that is hard to balance, even by the wise and valiant non-religious that are also an indispensable part of VS.

The problem is that discernment is an intensely personal thing that can be very hard to put into words, especially in the early stages. I went through periods of not wanting to post anything personal myself, and that would be even more so in a place with more people. I can only imagine what the problems with things like NFP could be, and yet, if I were to discern marriage I would want to know about it beforehand!

My, we had a thread on VS in which female personal hygiene products came up (not the use - just the products) and it turned to drama. I wouldn't know how to do a marriage board practically! Yet it's obvious that we need strong Catholic marriages, and that people need support in their marriages too, well-prepared though they might be.

Maybe dUst should just open a board but with that nifty feature that throws a water balloon through your screen if you're thinking weird things while reading it.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1941258' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:31 PM']I think it would be very good to have a place where the beginnings of discernment are discussed, in a more "neutral" environment than the preferred hang-out of a gaggle of future sisters. Nothing against gaggles of future sisters, but en masse they tend to present a view that is hard to balance, even by the wise and valiant non-religious that are also an indispensable part[/quote]
Yea, the gaggles really intimidate me. I don't post there much. :unsure:

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1941258' date='Aug 5 2009, 02:31 PM']My, we had a thread on VS in which female personal hygiene products came up (not the use - just the products) and it turned to drama.[/quote]
Hehe, I did read that thread. Remember, there were... unique circumstances behind that one.