An Old School Catholic Message Board

Vocation Station...

prose

HeavenlyCalling

I like the idea of a new phorum for those discerning marriage.

I am speaking as a discerner, and this is totally just my opnion, but there are lots of places you can go to get information and help on marriage. The dioces sets up retreats ( there are no retreats for discerning girls, at least where I am ) for both married and hoping to be married people, there are reasources ( ie scott hanh, who I believe has a book out on marraige) but other then our little oasis on the vocation station, there are very few people in my day to day life who understand or accept a religious vocation these days. I am not saying that married people or people who are not discerning are not welcome there, because they are, but I think that discerning to the religious life is a rather unique thing, and kinda needs its own separeted board.

But a new board for marriage would be a great idea.

Edited by HeavenlyCalling

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1140024' date='Dec 11 2006, 07:18 PM']
I like the idea of a new phorum for those discerning marriage.

I am speaking as a discerner, and this is totally just my opnion, but there are lots of places you can go to get information and help on marriage. The dioces sets up retreats ( there are no retreats for discerning girls, at least where I am ) for both married and hoping to be married people, there are reasources ( ie scott hanh, who I believe has a book out on marraige) but other then our little oasis on the vocation station, there are very few people in my day to day life who understand or accept a religious vocation these days. I am not saying that married people or people who are not discerning are not welcome there, because they are, but I think that discerning to the religious life is a rather unique thing, and kinda needs its own separeted board.
But a new board for marriage would be a great idea.
[/quote]

I agree with HeavenlyCalling. I think it's really important to have a board just for those discerning religious life or the priesthood. But I think there should also be a forum for those discerning and preparing for marriage, and for those who are married.

Interestingly, the only reason I brought this up was because I had never noticed the description before, and I remember a time when people were encouraging married people to go there. :idontknow:

I would probably still post here in open mic.

Except when I dally over to the lame board and dig up unphania. ;)

franciscanheart

I've posted resources for marriage over in vocation station. and there are a few threads there for marrieds or engageds or singles or whatever...

I don't even wanna get into that mess again. :P:

• 2 years later...

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1940285' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:24 PM']I'm up for a marriage sub-forum. :ninja:[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i think honestly, it would be very hard without it being a locked phorum, which leads to its own problems.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='St. Benedict' post='1138413' date='Dec 8 2006, 11:00 PM']I definitely want Vocation Station to remain directed only towards those going into religious life/priesthood. We can't mix these up with marriage. I read this from a priest's blog:

"One more thing to avoid: please don’t lump a vocation to the priesthood in with vocations to the married life, the single life, ad. nau. Of course, these vocations are perfectly true and good and beautiful. But we aren’t suffering as a Church from a lack of husbands and single women. Lumping priestly vocations in with all other Christian vocations tends to level the priestly vocation and hides the urgency of the crisises of commitment and encouragement."

[url="http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/2006/11/thoughts-about-vocations.html"]http://hancaquam.blogspot.com/2006/11/thou...-vocations.html[/url][/quote]

Guess where vocations to priesthood and religious life come from.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1940481' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:19 PM']Guess where vocations to priesthood and religious life come from.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
:think: thin air?

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1940481' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:19 PM']Guess where vocations to priesthood and religious life come from.[/quote]

Going to take a snipit from that quote lol

[quote]But we aren’t suffering as a Church from a lack of husbands and single women.[/quote]

No, but the Church is suffering from properly prepared couples to the Sacrament of Marriage. I think the divorce rate is causing an huge amount of suffering within the Church. Without properly prepared parents in the vocation of marriage, it's highly unlikely that there are going to be men and women (the offspring of those marriages) to enter into the religious life. If people aren't living out their own vocation properly (ie marriage) it's highly unlikely they'll be able to guide their children to theirs.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='StColette' post='1940504' date='Aug 4 2009, 07:42 PM']No, but the Church is suffering from properly prepared couples to the Sacrament of Marriage. I think the divorce rate is causing an huge amount of suffering within the Church. Without properly prepared parents in the vocation of marriage, it's highly unlikely that there are going to be men and women (the offspring of those marriages) to enter into the religious life. If people aren't living out their own vocation properly (ie marriage) it's highly unlikely they'll be able to guide their children to theirs.[/quote]
:yes: It was very sad when I attended a training for some marriage prep workers (I was telling them about the BOM), and the majority of the workers said they don't teach about sexuality because the couples are either already living together or they think the couples won't follow it, or they thought teaching about finances was more important. :ohno: Another thing I need to remember to pray for. I need to start writing all these things down so I can take them to Mass with me. I should probably take up the daily Rosary again, too. :think:

I go to Vocation Station and ramble about marriage as readily as any of the discerners about their call to religious life. ;)

My philosophy has always been that if there isn't a place for you in a group, make your own. So I do. But I agree, there are just as many of us in the college-20s-30s and up group who are discerning marriage that have just as many questions and fears. If we can't have a sub-forum, at least let one of us make a thread about it!

The Bus Station

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1940552' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:03 PM']If we can't have a sub-forum, at least let one of us make a thread about it![/quote]

That's how I feel. No one's stopping anyone from making threads about marriage or the single life.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1940359' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:56 AM']+J.M.J.+
i think honestly, it would be very hard without it being a locked phorum, which leads to its own problems.[/quote]
:huh: Why?

If you had a locked forum only for married people to discuss things, it would be the place that certain people would want to roam who shouldn't be reading the stuff it might contain.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1940596' date='Aug 4 2009, 03:22 PM']If you had a locked forum only for married people to discuss things, it would be the place that certain people would want to roam who shouldn't be reading the stuff it might contain.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
yeah, plus we already tried it, and frankly, it was a disaster.