Micah Posted November 20, 2010 Posted November 20, 2010 [quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1290234313' post='2188178'] Oceano's lyrics are horrifying. Good live show, tho. I don't know what "not very metalhead" of me is supposed to mean, but (unfortunately) I'm a music snob when it comes to heavy stuff. And I'm old, so I have my own set ways of how I think things should be, so yeah... [/quote] A less mean way of saying not cool. A. people's music is about their own relations and expression, so in general other people have no right to say "oh this is bad ra ra". B. Rock culture is based on the rejection of conformity, norms, established preferences. C. It's just not nice to say. Old rockers are supposed to be cool too, in fact, probably cooler.. It's usually when we're young that we act all "oh punk is the best" or "hardcore is better than everything else" or "my five bands are the only good ones".
eustace scrubb Posted November 20, 2010 Posted November 20, 2010 Uh, I don't think you understand old music fans very well... ever watch High Fidelity?
MithLuin Posted November 20, 2010 Posted November 20, 2010 Went to a Blind Guardian concert tonight They've just started up a North American tour. [url=http://www.blind-guardian.com/tour/]HERE[/url] are the locations and dates for anyone who is interested. Concert was awesome, awesome, awesome. I was a bit ambivalent about going alone (I don't live in Philly, so it was a little difficult to invite friends along, though I did try), but I had a great time. I highly recommend them to anyone! I missed the opening acts, since I wasn't able to leave work as early as I would have liked. But that's fine - I wasn't really interested. The concert didn't sell out, so the venue wasn't overly crowded, but they had a very decent crowd there. The floor was sunken in a few steps, so I stood on the edge and had a great view of the stage. I was a bit too timid to go down into the midst of everything, and I'm glad I avoided that - I probably would have gotten knocked down eventually. I only had to wait a short while before Blind Guardian came on stage after I arrived, so I'm glad it didn't take me any longer to park! They opened with 'Sacred Worlds' and played all of my favorite Tolkien-themed songs (Nightfall in Middle Earth, Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill), Lord of the Rings), as well as 'Welcome to Dying', 'Born in a Mourning Hall,' 'Voice in the Dark,' 'Fly', 'Valhalla', 'Imaginations from the Other Side' and 'Wheel of Time,' (and a couple of others, I think). They closed with 'Majesty' and 'Mirror Mirror'.
Hinter dem Horizont Posted November 20, 2010 Posted November 20, 2010 [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5aCppD3_FU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5aCppD3_FU[/url] Listening to these guys today. Betraying the Martyrs. They're awesome!
Micah Posted November 20, 2010 Posted November 20, 2010 [quote name='Hinter dem Horizont' timestamp='1290267172' post='2188211'] [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5aCppD3_FU"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=V5aCppD3_FU[/url] Listening to these guys today. Betraying the Martyrs. They're awesome! [/quote] Yeah man! I got a demo CD of various French metal acts and these guys were on it. One of only two of the bands I liked. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/like.gif[/img] [color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=4][quote]Went to a Blind Guardian concert tonight They've just started up a North American tour. [url="http://www.blind-guardian.com/tour/"]HERE[/url] are the locations and dates for anyone who is interested. Concert was awesome, awesome, awesome. I was a bit ambivalent about going alone (I don't live in Philly, so it was a little difficult to invite friends along, though I did try), but I had a great time. I highly recommend them to anyone! I missed the opening acts, since I wasn't able to leave work as early as I would have liked. But that's fine - I wasn't really interested. The concert didn't sell out, so the venue wasn't overly crowded, but they had a very decent crowd there. The floor was sunken in a few steps, so I stood on the edge and had a great view of the stage. I was a bit too timid to go down into the midst of everything, and I'm glad I avoided that - I probably would have gotten knocked down eventually. I only had to wait a short while before Blind Guardian came on stage after I arrived, so I'm glad it didn't take me any longer to park! They opened with 'Sacred Worlds' and played all of my favorite Tolkien-themed songs (Nightfall in Middle Earth, Time Stands Still (At the Iron Hill), Lord of the Rings), as well as 'Welcome to Dying', 'Born in a Mourning Hall,' 'Voice in the Dark,' 'Fly', 'Valhalla', 'Imaginations from the Other Side' and 'Wheel of Time,' (and a couple of others, I think). They closed with 'Majesty' and 'Mirror Mirror'.[/quote][/size][/font][/color] [color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=4] [/size][/font][/color] [color=#595959][font=arial, verdana, sans-serif][size=4]Sweet, I've never heard of blind guardian, but live shows are great no matter. [/size][/font][/color]
dominicansoul Posted November 21, 2010 Posted November 21, 2010 i don't consider myself a metal head... ...but i do like Linkin' Park's past... recently, the group has ventured into more of a sync/popsy sound, leaving most of their metalhead followers pouting... ...going to their concert in Dallas in February...mosh pit tix go on sale in December..
eustace scrubb Posted November 22, 2010 Posted November 22, 2010 I like their newer stuff a lot more. They're better at writing melodic pop than nu metal, but I think that's mainly because the two guys who are the brains behind it are synth dudes. They didn't even write their first album's guitar tracks... they came from friends who weren't even in the band. The tracks were written at their request and the two guys used them as samples. Btw that first album? They wrote it when they were only [i]17[/i]...
Teen_Catholic Posted December 13, 2010 Posted December 13, 2010 I like some metal, but I prefer alternative rock. I'm a big fan of Weezer.
ardillacid Posted January 31, 2011 Posted January 31, 2011 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpMHgS-vglw[/media]
Jesus_lol Posted January 31, 2011 Posted January 31, 2011 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Qnr1gOdpU[/media] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18cv_ZUYRwY[/media] im fairly picky with metal, not a fan of most metalcore(tip, if your clean vocals sound more like Blink 182, and less like Ronnie James Dio or Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, you are doing it wrong). that and breakdowns consisting of single E chord chugging do little for me. a proper breakdown with an amesome riff is much better ie "Angel Of Death" by Slayer.
ardillacid Posted February 3, 2011 Posted February 3, 2011 [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAt0IQJsQlk[/media]
Maximilianus Posted February 16, 2011 Posted February 16, 2011 (edited) you need a Metallica back patch and a jean jacket...bonus points if you cut off the sleeves and put it over a leather biker jacket. Edited February 16, 2011 by Maximilianus
dominicansoul Posted February 16, 2011 Posted February 16, 2011 [quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1290356412' post='2188354'] i don't consider myself a metal head... ...but i do like Linkin' Park's past... recently, the group has ventured into more of a sync/popsy sound, leaving most of their metalhead followers pouting... ...going to their concert in Dallas in February...mosh pit tix go on sale in December.. [/quote] they canceled the concert this Thursday, but concert was actually postponed! I can't make it on their new date though, [quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1290453642' post='2188608'] I like their newer stuff a lot more. They're better at writing melodic pop than nu metal, but I think that's mainly because the two guys who are the brains behind it are synth dudes. They didn't even write their first album's guitar tracks... they came from friends who weren't even in the band. The tracks were written at their request and the two guys used them as samples. Btw that first album? They wrote it when they were only [i]17[/i]... [/quote] awe.some!
ParadiseFound Posted April 27, 2011 Posted April 27, 2011 I've been listening to Protest the Hero a lot recently. A very amesome tech/prog metal band from Canada. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhMfz4HrcEA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhMfz4HrcEA[/url] (Rody, the singer, has a different hairstyle in every photo/video I've seen him in. In this particular one he models 'Hitler chic') [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKZ-eKBJ9dw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKZ-eKBJ9dw[/url]
DemonSlayer Posted May 1, 2011 Posted May 1, 2011 I used to listen to them a tiny bit, but not since I found that they are a bit anti-Christian.
ParadiseFound Posted May 1, 2011 Posted May 1, 2011 [quote name='DemonSlayer' timestamp='1304277148' post='2235398'] I used to listen to them a tiny bit, but not since I found that they are a bit anti-Christian. [/quote] I have to say I haven't noticed that in any of their lyrics. Examples?
Guest Theandric Posted May 10, 2011 Posted May 10, 2011 Hey fellow Catholic metalheads, Hi y'all. I'm new to this forum, but I'm excited to be a part of it. For those of you looking for some heavy music with Catholic inspiration, check out the community at [url="http://www.catholicmetal.com"]www.catholicmetal.com[/url] There, you can download FREE the first compilation of mp3's which was released on May 1st to honor Blessed John Paul II. The compilation is called "Praising Him Loudly" and includes tracks by my own band, Theandric, as well as songs by Katholicus, Last Rites and more... Check it out!
Fixxxer Posted May 20, 2011 Posted May 20, 2011 for anyone wanting to go underground..ive picked up some cool bands. Havok, hell, and revoker. ive been listening to a lot of skeletonwitch too .
Jesus_lol Posted May 20, 2011 Posted May 20, 2011 Skeletonwitch is an amazing band,. also, Becoming the Archetype is my new favourite they are actually a christian technical ddeath metal band! and good too!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now