Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Attempt At A Philosophy Thread


Recommended Posts

Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1458339' date='Feb 9 2008, 08:42 PM']I have to write a paper on the first section of Kant's Groundwork analyzing the relation of Good Will, Duty, and Law.

Just a couple of points that I'd like to make sure that I'm clear about.

For Kant, any system of morality must be a priori and not empirical, for if it is empirical then it is not universal?

Even if one is inclined towards duty, the inclination towrds that duty should not be the motivation for acting in accordance with Duty, but Duty itself and if it is from the inclination, the act has no moral worth at best and is bad at worst?

I will probabl have more as I write. Thanks[/quote]
Ok, it's been a few semesters since I've studied any Kant (and he's not really at the top of my list anyway...then again niether is Ethical Philosophy) but from what I remember you're spot on. The whole point of Kant's Categorical Imperative is that one should act as if his action is to become a "maxim of nature." That way, according to Kant, everyone should do the same thing in that situation. That would make the system [i][/i]a priori[i][/i] as well since one would use reason and not emotions, consequences etc. to determine actions.

As for the second question, yes, Kant argues that duty itself should be the sole motivating factor in moral decisions. In fact, he would consider a decision made from any other motive A-moral (important to distinguish that from IM-moral, as I learned on my final exam in Bio-Medical ethics. Never had a slip of the pen cause me to lose five points). I hope I've contributed something to you're understanding of Kant even if it's just a rehashing of what you've already learned. :)

P.S. How did I miss this thread for over a year? :wacko:

missionseeker
Posted

[quote name='WillT' post='1458447' date='Feb 10 2008, 01:37 AM']Ok, it's been a few semesters since I've studied any Kant (and he's not really at the top of my list anyway...then again niether is Ethical Philosophy) but from what I remember you're spot on. The whole point of Kant's Categorical Imperative is that one should act as if his action is to become a "maxim of nature." That way, according to Kant, everyone should do the same thing in that situation. That would make the system [i][/i]a priori[i][/i] as well since one would use reason and not emotions, consequences etc. to determine actions.

As for the second question, yes, Kant argues that duty itself should be the sole motivating factor in moral decisions. In fact, he would consider a decision made from any other motive A-moral (important to distinguish that from IM-moral, as I learned on my final exam in Bio-Medical ethics. Never had a slip of the pen cause me to lose five points). I hope I've contributed something to you're understanding of Kant even if it's just a rehashing of what you've already learned. :)

P.S. How did I miss this thread for over a year? :wacko:[/quote]

THANK YOU! Actually it does help a LOT. I'm one of those people who over thinks things and second guesses and doubts whether I have any idea what i am talking about or not and by doing so winds up thoroughly confused and frustrated. Even though I generally do and am a tutor and all that stuff. I know, it's messed up, but I do.

so THANKS.

Although, I'm not sure that I completely get the role of reason. Is it what determines a good will or subjective to it? Or kind of both? The reason informs the will of what is Duty?

missionseeker
Posted

Ok, I think I may have it sort of:

reason guides a man to act in accordance with Duty because reason is how one determines (universally and formally, without any material experience) what actions should be a maxim of nature?

Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1458542' date='Feb 10 2008, 11:32 AM']THANK YOU! Actually it does help a LOT. I'm one of those people who over thinks things and second guesses and doubts whether I have any idea what i am talking about or not and by doing so winds up thoroughly confused and frustrated. Even though I generally do and am a tutor and all that stuff. I know, it's messed up, but I do.

so THANKS.

Although, I'm not sure that I completely get the role of reason. Is it what determines a good will or subjective to it? Or kind of both? The reason informs the will of what is Duty?[/quote]
Ha ha, I think that's all philosophy majors! I know I do that too, which is why I have about 18 notebooks full of class notes and handouts etc.! (Which I consulted to answer these Kant questions, ironically.)

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1458557' date='Feb 10 2008, 12:20 PM']Ok, I think I may have it sort of:

reason guides a man to act in accordance with Duty because reason is how one determines (universally and formally, without any material experience) what actions should be a maxim of nature?[/quote]
Yes, that's how I understood it as well. Reason, if it is to be of any use as a truth-producing faculty at all, would need to be the same process for everyone. Hence, everyone who is using proper reason would come to the same conclusion in the same circumstances. That's where the "maxim of nature" part comes in. I'm glad I've been able to help! Where do you study, if you don't mind me asking?

missionseeker
Posted

Thanks again!

Probably not too far from you. Southern Catholic College in N. Georgia.

Dr. Herbert Hartmann who used to teach out at TAC is the professor.

Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1458635' date='Feb 10 2008, 04:37 PM']Thanks again!

Probably not too far from you. Southern Catholic College in N. Georgia.

Dr. Herbert Hartmann who used to teach out at TAC is the professor.[/quote]
Cool. Not far at all! I'm at The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. What is TAC? I'm not familliar with the abbreviation.

missionseeker
Posted

Thomas Aquinas College (in California).


He's SO smart, especially when it comes to Thomisitic philosphy.

I have a randomish question for you:
Say I wanted to start looking for grad schools. What should I look for?

Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1458670' date='Feb 10 2008, 05:11 PM']Thomas Aquinas College (in California).
He's SO smart, especially when it comes to Thomisitic philosphy.

I have a randomish question for you:
Say I wanted to start looking for grad schools. What should I look for?[/quote]
Ah, Thomas Aquinas College! Got it.

Hmm, well I'm still an undergrad, so I'm in the same position! I would say it depends on what areas of philosophy intrest you. Some schools have different strengths and weaknesses within their philosophy epartments, so say one certain college has a very strong metaphysics department, and therefore is ranked highly as a philosophy grad school, but your intrest is in epistemology, then it wouldn't make sense to go to that university despite its high rank etc. So, as a rule, always check out what particular school offers an environment that appeals to you and what you want to study. Also, talk to the proffessors you especially admire/agree with. They learned Philosophy at a school somewhere and can usually direct you to what schools may be of intrest to you. At least that's the type of advice I've been given.

missionseeker
Posted

hehe. we'll see.... LOL.

I think I did ok. But, yeah, we'll see.



BUT we're on to Aristotle, and Kant can sit on my desk or in my closet (it has a shelf I use for books) untill I have further use for him. lol.

Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1458670' date='Feb 10 2008, 03:11 PM']Thomas Aquinas College (in California).
He's SO smart, especially when it comes to Thomisitic philosphy.

I have a randomish question for you:
Say I wanted to start looking for grad schools. What should I look for?[/quote]

Just for general philosophy, U of Pittsburgh is pretty good.

Posted

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1461206' date='Feb 13 2008, 06:08 PM']hehe. we'll see.... LOL.

I think I did ok. But, yeah, we'll see.
BUT we're on to Aristotle, and Kant can sit on my desk or in my closet (it has a shelf I use for books) untill I have further use for him. lol.[/quote]
Cool. I had some Aristotle last semester, so if you have any questions I'm sure I still have my notes around.

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1461219' date='Feb 13 2008, 06:26 PM']Just for general philosophy, U of Pittsburgh is pretty good.[/quote]
I have heard good things about Pitt. Did you go there or know someone who did?

Posted

Anyone heard of Iris Murdoch? She is an Atheistic, Irish philosopher.

I dislike her.

Pre-Postulant
Posted

What a great thread!

I spent he past 2.5 years at the Catholic University of America sudying politics and PHILOSOPHY!! CUA has a great undergrad and grad program for philosophy!

Pre-Postulant
Posted

[quote name='GuyWithAFoil' post='1464727' date='Feb 17 2008, 01:35 PM']Anyone heard of Iris Murdoch? She is an Atheistic, Irish philosopher.

I dislike her.[/quote]



I have read a little bit of Iris Murdoch. Really just parts of "Metaphysics as a Guide to Morals" and a little of "Existentialists and Mystics"......she has some very radical ideas, and I agree with you: I'm not a fan of her novels or philosophy!

  • 2 weeks later...
missionseeker
Posted

I got my Kant paper back.

A-

missionseeker
Posted

hmm...

did you happen to see my post before the site went down?

Posted (edited)

I don't think so.

Sorry. :(

Edited by WillT

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...