An Old School Catholic Message Board

Keeping Secrets

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Secrets  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1166100' date='Jan 15 2007, 04:40 PM']
:yes:
[/quote]

You're just saying that because of all the dirt I have on you

one of the times you shouldn't keep them is if its sake for another's well being.. Like, if you felt if one person would be better off for it if you told his/her friend or famil.. most of the time you probably should.. but sometimes its just.. better to tell someone

Edited by Tony

You mean should Catholics be trustworthy? Yes. Keeping secrets is part of being trustworthy. The saying "everything you need to know in life you learn in kindergarten" is true in this situation.... You don't keep a secret when it needs to be told for the safety (spiritual, mental, physical, etc.) of the person who told you. But then you don't go out an tell everyone and their mother; you only who needs to be told.

xTrishaxLynnx

Yes. There are lots of things that do not need to be shared with some people... and sometimes there are things that should not be shared with [i]anyone.[/i]

Guest Rick777

I shoulda read the thread before I put no. :lol: It all depends...(totally unrelated but)...is "swearing" to God or on somebody a mortal sin? For example..."Swear on your momma's grave you won't tell!" haha...something we used to practically do every day in elementary.

the real question is: what right do you have to spread a peice of information around? even if something is true, you still commit the sin of calumny by spreading it around when it is not your place to do so (and it usually isn't your place)

if you promise to keep a secret, you should hold yourself to your word in as absolute a sense as you are able to. if someone confides in you, even if you never explicitly promise to keep the secret, you still have absolutely no moral right to spread that information around and would be committing the sin of calumny by making it public.