An Old School Catholic Message Board

Keeping Secrets

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Secrets  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

Back in the day :) , people actually had a sense of privacy, so most parts of your life was considered nobody's business but your own. So if you found out someone else's business you were expected to keep your mouth shut about it. Back then privacy was not a right, but an obligation. Now that its a right, nobody obliges it.

homeschoolmom

I agree. I think we are in of the mindset that everyone has a right to know everything...

When I was a teenager, we had diaries that we kept under lock and key. Now teens have Myspace.

MissScripture

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1166390' date='Jan 15 2007, 08:37 PM']
I agree. I think we are in of the mindset that everyone has a right to know everything...

When I was a teenager, we had diaries that we kept under lock and key. Now teens have Myspace.
[/quote]
And then get upset when people find things out from them!

oh such honor still exists, dont worry.. the question isnt about "rights" perse.. it's the morality behind the situation at hand

littleflower+JMJ

Teachers, Youth Ministeries, etc. have to tell students before they share information with them, that they will keep the info confidential, unless the information is life threatening or critical information that could endanger someone's life, they will have the responsiblity of contacting appropriate people right after.

So unless it is life threatening information (or law breaking), I would think its okay to keep that information private.

littleflower+JMJ

[quote name='Tony' post='1166408' date='Jan 15 2007, 08:56 PM']
did I tell you all about the time Flowery *whispers* and then she *whispers again*.. but you can't her I told you this!

:-P
[/quote]

:bash:

:lol_pound:

MissScripture

[quote name='Tony' post='1166408' date='Jan 15 2007, 08:56 PM']
did I tell you all about the time Flowery *whispers* and then she *whispers again*.. but you can't her I told you this!

:-P
[/quote]
Now I wanna know what she did! :lol: :P:

According to the Baltimore Catechism, among the things forbidded by the Eight Commandment is "the telling of secrets we are bound to keep."

homeschoolmom

One thing I hate is the telling of secrets under the guise of requesting prayer for someone else...

"Abby needs prayer for the nervous breakdown that she's having... yes, she was in the hospital for weeks... so, um, yeah... keep her in your prayers."

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1166447' date='Jan 16 2007, 12:54 AM']
One thing I hate is the telling of secrets under the guise of requesting prayer for someone else...

"Abby needs prayer for the nervous breakdown that she's having... yes, she was in the hospital for weeks... so, um, yeah... keep her in your prayers."
[/quote]

SOOO Funny! :D: Yet, not. :idontknow:

I think we should let bad things happen rather than break our trustiness. It would have to be something really really really bad to break the vow of secrecy.

I was in Protestant churches for a while. They didn't have the whole "special intention" thing going on, in my experience. I tried it recently at my friend's Bible Study and I'm not sure they understood it. I wanted them to pray for Paddington's Special Intention and the guy did a general prayer for me.

I think in rare cases where there is a sufficiently serious reason to break a confidence (e.g. someone intends to commit suicide, a minor tells you of ongoing abuse) you should always tell the person involved that you feel a moral obligation to tell such and such a person and if possible ask them to tell that person themselves, or give you permission to do so. Obviously this isn't always possible. Certainly you should not break a confidence unless someone's welfare is seriously at stake and I agree that even then you should tell the minimum number of people possible to resolve the situation. However it is worth bearing in mind that sometimes someone will disclose something personal because they want it dealt with and haven't the courage to do so themselves, so if you think a third party deserves to know and they won't tell them it is always worth asking for their permission to tell the third party yourself (though again, if they say no and you don't have a very serious reason you would have to respect their wishes). Just my opinion.

[size=1]So is this about keeping secrets or telling lies?
And why does it apply only to "Catholics"?
This thread seems really silly to me :idontknow:
[/size]

EcceNovaFacioOmni

This thread applies to everyone really, but I am looking for the teaching of the Church.
I understand confidentiality, but what about spending all your cash on a Nintendo Wii or something and hiding it from your parents (no I did not do this...)? Something about this type of secrecy makes me feel odd. I was recently told something by a sibling (married and moved out) that I am not to tell my mother about (not really a big deal and she'll find out eventually) but it still irks me a bit.

Edited by thedude