An Old School Catholic Message Board

Keeping Secrets

EcceNovaFacioOmni

Secrets  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='thedude' post='1170102' date='Jan 19 2007, 12:18 PM']
This thread applies to everyone really, but I am looking for the teaching of the Church.
I understand confidentiality, but what about spending all your cash on a Nintendo Wii or something and hiding it from your parents (no I did not do this...)? Something about this type of secrecy makes me feel odd. I was recently told something by a sibling (married and moved out) that I am not to tell my mother about (not really a big deal and she'll find out eventually) but it still irks me a bit.
[/quote]
If your parents give you money and expect you to spend the money on school books, and you buy the Nintendo, that is not keeping a secret, that is deception.

If your sibling doesn't want your mother to know something then sibling shouldn't tell it to you. You should not be asked to keep a secret someone else is unwilling to keep.
And if your mother finds out you you knew and didn't tell her is is gonna be upset, and if you tell your sibling will be upset. It is rude to put people in such positions.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

This adult sibling has acquired a new pet. They have lots of pets so she is afraid my mom will think it's a bad idea or something. Doesn't seem like a big enough secret for me to go tell my mom about, especially when my sibling is an adult. I think I'll stay out of it. She intends to show my mom next time she visits anyway.