Lterrebrood Posted April 25, 2007 Posted April 25, 2007 Amazing thread. I really love "Rent", no matter what. Half my school are Rentheads, lol. My theatre is currently working on "Annie, Get Your Gun!" and it's showing next week. Congrats to me for being head costume mistress. I've seen only three musicals.. "Altar Boyz" [Some of you probably wouldn't like it for its story line but my class loved it!] "Spamalot" [Not my personal favorite..] "The Color Purple" [Decent, I suppose] I love the soundtrack to "Wicked" because my choir sings some of the songs from the movie and I've heard "Jersey Boys" and "Hairspray" are really good! And what about "Oaklahoma!"?!!
stargirl3:16 Posted June 11, 2007 Author Posted June 11, 2007 All right, I figured in honor of the Tony Awards last night I would resurrect this thread for discussion/dissection of the show. I will say now that Raul Esparza is amazing and people are crazy for not casting him in more shows (to my knowledge he has only done 2 shows on Broadway: Rocky Horror and Company) . Comments, anyone?
tinytherese Posted July 7, 2007 Posted July 7, 2007 I was in Into the Woods in middle school and it was a blast, even though we only performed the first act. We did that because many of the people viewing it were little kids and they wouldn't be able to settle down for so long. By the way, my favorite song from Wicked is "Defying Gravity"! my blog www.childofourlady.blogspot.com
dUSt Posted July 7, 2007 Posted July 7, 2007 Oh, me and my wife went to New York last weekend for our 5th anniversary and saw "Spamalot" and "The Color Purple". Spamalot is great. Fantasia can sing.
bonoducchi Posted July 7, 2007 Posted July 7, 2007 [quote name='stargirl3:16' post='1224972' date='Apr 1 2007, 12:28 AM']Ok, new favorite musical: tick, tick...BOOM![/quote] Really...I never really cared for that show. The music seemed lackluster. Loud and exciting, but just didn't have the panache I was looking for.
bonoducchi Posted July 7, 2007 Posted July 7, 2007 [quote name='CrossCuT' post='1185056' date='Feb 5 2007, 12:20 AM'][size=1]I know it is, but its a stupid one. Its about gays, lesbians, and aids. [/size][/quote] Gays, lesbians, and people with AIDS would probably disagree with you...I doubt they find themselves stupid at all....
bonoducchi Posted July 7, 2007 Posted July 7, 2007 [quote name='stargirl3:16' post='1238453' date='Apr 11 2007, 12:43 AM']I agree with you on Into the Woods. Fantastic! Oh, and Phantom of the Opera just celebrated 8,000 performances, proving that it is the champion of all musicals and deserves major respect.[/quote] No, it's just a tourist trap.
bonoducchi Posted July 7, 2007 Posted July 7, 2007 My favorites: Carousel (absolutely stunning) Avenue Q (because puppet sex is strange) The Last 5 Years (any musical that has time running in 2 directions deserves some attention) Chicago (because I love playing the piano part) Lavender Girl (ok, an off-off Broadway show, but still a beautiful one-act musical) Fiddler on the Roof (including that wonderful song that was cut in Detroit: "When Messiah Comes") The Producers ("it's almost 11....") The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (the only show I know of that calls for Jesus to appear with glowing Sacred Heart) Into the Woods (a favorite only because of sentimental value)
benedictaj Posted July 8, 2007 Posted July 8, 2007 Oh I love musicals! My top three are Les Miserables, Phantom of the Opera and Fiddler on the roof.
jiyoung Posted July 9, 2007 Posted July 9, 2007 I wish I knew more musicals--there are some that I've seen and some I only know the music for, and some I've only seen the movies for... I love Rent! Risque subject matter be darned. Avenue Q--I know the music for this and it's coming to Pittsburgh while I'm at school, so I'll be seeing this one soon Same for Hairspray, except instead of coming to Pittsburgh it's coming to a theater near me...woohoo I sang songs from Thoroughly Modern Millie (I was in show choir), and I'd love to see that one... I LOVE Singin' in the Rain. So good. I've seen Lion King on stage--it was amazing. I also saw The Producers as my first Broadway musical--also so good! It was so much fun. I got the movie because of how much I loved the musical. And just recently, I saw Wicked in LA--I nearly cried, it was so amazing. I had wanted to to watch it for so long and to finally see it was so wonderful. I'm missing tons from this list, but it'll take too much time..
stargirl3:16 Posted July 10, 2007 Author Posted July 10, 2007 [quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1316254' date='Jul 7 2007, 12:35 AM']Really...I never really cared for that show. The music seemed lackluster. Loud and exciting, but just didn't have the panache I was looking for.[/quote] Look up the lyrics sometime, especially for the songs "30/90" and "Louder than Words". [quote name='VaticanIILiturgist' post='1316261' date='Jul 7 2007, 12:41 AM']No, it's just a tourist trap.[/quote] Michael Crawford's voice is not a tourist trap. An addictive substance, maybe... I do have to admit that some of the shows on Broadway, like Phantom, are largely spectacle shows. It's about the sets and costumes as much as, if not more, that the talent and acting on stage. I could go on, but I'll save that for another time.
stargirl3:16 Posted August 28, 2007 Author Posted August 28, 2007 [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-63q88zpmc"]Video of Raul Esparza[/url] Watch and be amazed.
MissyP89 Posted August 30, 2007 Posted August 30, 2007 RENT is one of my favorite musicals of all time. Wicked Hairspray Mamma Mia! Grease Les Mis Tommy Lion King Beauty and the Beast
age the magnificent Posted August 30, 2007 Posted August 30, 2007 (some of these are musical movies .. but still considered a musical in my book. ) Spamalot Phantom of the Opera Drowsey Chaperone Wicked Seven Brides for Seven Brothers My Fair Lady Sound of Music Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Lion King Hairspray 42nd Street Wizard of Oz Grease Les Mis Mary Poppins Fancy Pants WAnt to see: Tarzan on Broadway Lion King on Broadway Beauty and the Best on Broadway Mary Poppins on Broadway Chitty Chiity Bang Bang on Broadway Jersey Boys on Broadway
greentea Posted September 4, 2007 Posted September 4, 2007 Oook so I'm kind of a musical theatre geek and I just HAD to reply :D My tops are definately Aida, Phantom (not the movie though, blagh), and of course Les Mis. I enjoyed some of the music in Rent, and the subject matter didn't bother me, but I just never cared for the characters. Plus, it's a terrible adaptation of one of the greatest Operas ever written If you want Rent with without all the sketchy morals and with 10x better music, see La Boheme! Can't go wrong with Puccini... When I first saw Wicked I wasn't really into it, I had just seen Les Mis the day before and it kind of paled in comparison. But after reading the book I have this whole new appreciation for it, and I'm totally in love with the soundtrack <3 I bought a Wicked Witch of the West barbie the other day because she reminds me to 'defy gravity' hahaha. ^ dork.
stargirl3:16 Posted September 5, 2007 Author Posted September 5, 2007 Yay, more musical theatre geeks! :
stargirl3:16 Posted October 18, 2007 Author Posted October 18, 2007 Anyone catch the trailer for the Sweeney Todd movie yet?
FutureSister2009 Posted December 2, 2011 Posted December 2, 2011 Why is this thread so old? Why didn't I find it a long time ago? I am bringing it back to life for my benefit since I am a musical freak. I love Wicked, Beauty and the Beast, Joseph, Godspell, Hair, Next to Normal, Legally Blonde, Les Mis and more! Oh and Sister Act! Sister Act is amazing! I like Chicago too!
i<3franciscans Posted December 2, 2011 Posted December 2, 2011 Beauty and the Beast is coming my way in MAY!!!!!!
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now