Joey1976 Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 Getting close to Lent. Anybody have a ny good ideas of what to give up for Lent? Or what you have done in the past? I want to really make a good sacrifice this year but i can't think of anything to give up. Any suggestions? Thanks
goldenchild17 Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 Not sure what I'm going to do. I thought for starters I might go vegetarian for lent, but don't think that's really enough. So we'll see what else I decide.
ReinnieR Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 my brother gave up church 4 years ago. he's still doing it to this day.
MissScripture Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 My brother gave up church for 3 years. He came back. I'll say a prayer for your brother Rei.
Tony Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 here's something I did a couple years ago [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=29035&hl="]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...c=29035&hl=[/url]
Sojourner Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 one year I gave up speeding that was really difficult
missionseeker Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 I'm going to give up at least facebook and myspace. maybe more
MissScripture Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 [quote name='missionseeker' post='1191828' date='Feb 11 2007, 06:17 PM'] I'm going to give up at least facebook and myspace. maybe more [/quote] I could give up Myspace...my computer tries to eat itself when it goes there, anyway!
VeniteAdoremus Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 I'm giving up candy... hard, since I'm addicted Also, I'll just eat plainer meals, no dessert, cut down on television, and cover my head on Wednesdays, Fridays, and weekends. Maybe I'll get inspiration for more... don't know yet.
Phoenix Reborn Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 Giving up all sweets and snacks. Those two are auto give-ups no matter what. I'm planning to give up video games, possibly Phatmass. And yeah, probably cut down on T.V., also.
Moneybags Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 [quote name='Joey1976' post='1191809' date='Feb 11 2007, 05:39 PM'] Getting close to Lent. Anybody have a ny good ideas of what to give up for Lent? Or what you have done in the past? I want to really make a good sacrifice this year but i can't think of anything to give up. Any suggestions? Thanks [/quote] I suggest this Resource Webpage of mine. Check out "General Lenten Information": [url="http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/02/everything-lent.html"]http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/02/...thing-lent.html[/url]
Didymus Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 I think I might give up fast food. I eat way too much of it because I like it. Probably sweets too.
journeyman Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 last year I "gave up" an hour of free time to pray the Liturgy of the Hours - I added St. Gertrude's prayer after the evening prayer and the Angelus to my lunch hour. shortly after Lent, corporate blocked ewtn's morning and evening prayer audio feeds, so I've sort of been winging it since then
MissScripture Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 [quote name='journeyman' post='1191860' date='Feb 11 2007, 06:37 PM'] last year I "gave up" an hour of free time to pray the Liturgy of the Hours - I added St. Gertrude's prayer after the evening prayer and the Angelus to my lunch hour. shortly after Lent, corporate blocked ewtn's morning and evening prayer audio feeds, so I've sort of been winging it since then [/quote] At least they waited until after Lent!
cmotherofpirl Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 I giving up everything thats immoral illegal and fattening
Catholictothecore Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 I am NOT letting Lent sneak up on me like Advent did! I am having two disciplines; 1 is to read this book Fr. Gabriel gave everyone at Newman everyday. 2 is to make it to mass/rosary everyday I possibly can and not make excuses.
traichuoi Posted February 11, 2007 Posted February 11, 2007 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1191870' date='Feb 11 2007, 03:44 PM'] I giving up everything thats immoral illegal and fattening [/quote] woah Cmom...don't you think that's going overboard? I'm giving up hitting the snooze button. Seriously. So that way I can wake up, give good, focused time to prayer (maybe work out), and discipline myself so that my will learns how to sacrifice in all the little things. But I'm not giving up everything illegal or fattening. crazy.
Akalyte Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 Let's see, I gave up soda for new years, i havent drank soda since before new years. I'm not sure what to give up for lent yet..
journeyman Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='MissScripture' post='1191864' date='Feb 11 2007, 07:39 PM'] At least they waited until after Lent! [/quote] That's what I say when I'm feeling kind . . . when I'm less charitable, I wonder why the audio feeds at various music and video sites are still open and the prayers feed was closed . . . but since we're not supposed to superfluously burden the corporate network, I've decided not to pursue that line of thought since it may be my Lenten usage that identified them for the IT folks and led to the blocking (I'm not sure I buy into that completely, especially since it was "after hours," but it is possible) there's an idea . . . I'll give up dial up for Lent - moving to someplace with high speed access at home . . . somehow I don't think that fits the definition of abstinence or fasting . . . I'll need to think on this some more
djc08 Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 (edited) Hey if it's good for your prayer life go for it. Personally a friend and I are going to try and truly fast this Lent and try to abstain from meat. It's hard because public school food doesn't always try their hardest to meet the needs of Orthodox Catholics. Edited February 12, 2007 by djc08
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now