jmj Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 I'm giving up T.V. and swearing. I'd like to use the open time to pray more, do some spiritual reading, and work more on my prayer life. Yay for Lent!
Tony Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='St. Benedict' post='1191851' date='Feb 11 2007, 07:33 PM'] I suggest this Resource Webpage of mine. Check out "General Lenten Information": [url="http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/02/everything-lent.html"]http://acatholiclife.blogspot.com/2006/02/...thing-lent.html[/url] [/quote] I like this a lot.. Thank you!
xTrishaxLynnx Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 Movies (if you know me, you know how big of a deal that is... lol) Also thinking of giving up soda... Definitely want to give up more than that, but these were things I thought of in just the last few minutes... I've got a little more time to think of some more.
cathoholic_anonymous Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 I haven't really decided yet. I think I will give up lunch, going to Mass instead so that He can be my only food in between breakfast and tea.
gonzaga Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='Tony' post='1191824' date='Feb 12 2007, 12:07 AM'] here's something I did a couple years ago [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=29035&hl="]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?s...c=29035&hl=[/url] [/quote] Alright Tony bhoy! Hows it goin? Looking forward to the Chmapions League game with AC!
cmotherofpirl Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='djc08' post='1192005' date='Feb 11 2007, 11:31 PM'] Hey if it's good for your prayer life go for it. Personally a friend and I are going to try and truly fast this Lent and try to abstain from meat. It's hard because public school food doesn't always try their hardest to meet the needs of Orthodox Catholics. [/quote] Well ya know everybody claims to be for tolerance and diversity so I would definitely complain to the school administrators they are not meeting your needs and demand healthy nin-meat dishes on a daily basis.
homeschoolmom Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='journeyman' post='1191913' date='Feb 11 2007, 08:07 PM']there's an idea . . . I'll give up dial up for Lent - moving to someplace with high speed access at home . . . somehow I don't think that fits the definition of abstinence or fasting . . . I'll need to think on this some more [/quote] I would think that since dial-up is much slower than high speed access, making the switch would certainly be a form of... (okay... all together!)... fasting.
cmotherofpirl Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 I am excited this year my birthday is before Ash WEdnesday : I remember years when it was in Lent and I couldn't have a birthday party.
HeavenlyCalling Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 I gave up all junk food one year, that was really, really hard ( I felt great until Easter morning, when I gained back like 20 lbs ) My sister and I are thinking about sleeping on the floor ( and we just ripped up our carpet ), getting up when we're supposed to ( we never do ), and saying the rosary every day.
MissScripture Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 (edited) [quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1192273' date='Feb 12 2007, 04:43 AM'] Movies (if you know me, you know how big of a deal that is... lol) Also thinking of giving up soda... Definitely want to give up more than that, but these were things I thought of in just the last few minutes... I've got a little more time to think of some more. [/quote] So, how're you going to fall asleep? (Just curious, and I won't let you give up sleep for lent!!) I am going to give up swearing, I want to say the rosary every day (which I should be doing anyway and if we ever get this darn microphone figured out, or if I get a new one, you're helping me with that, Trisha!), and I am going to make a list of 40 people and every day, I will devote my prayers to a different person for that day. Edited February 12, 2007 by MissScripture
traichuoi Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='MissScripture' post='1192323' date='Feb 12 2007, 06:41 AM'] I want to say the rosary every day (which I should be doing anyway and if we ever get this darn microphone figured out, or if I get a new one, you're helping me with that, Trisha!), and I am going to make a list of 40 people and every day, I will devote my prayers to a different person for that day. [/quote] I like that idea!
son_of_angels Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 I think I may try to give up caffeine for Lent, in addition to a strict Fast on at least Wednesday and Friday. Since Septuagesima I've been careful to say Morning and Evening Prayer each day, along with Compline.
homeschoolmom Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 HStot's giving up his nuk and diapers.
Red Knight Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 (edited) I found that themost rewarding sacrifice is that of time. Make a committment to Adoration, daily mass, prayer, etc. I'm thinkig Adoration myself. Edited February 12, 2007 by Red Knight
Sojourner Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1192347' date='Feb 12 2007, 09:39 AM'] HStot's giving up his nuk and diapers. [/quote] That's sweet of him to be so thoughtful of you.
cathoholic_anonymous Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote]Personally a friend and I are going to try and truly fast this Lent and try to abstain from meat. It's hard because public school food doesn't always try their hardest to meet the needs of Orthodox Catholics.[/quote] I experienced something similar in my boarding school. Even though they claimed to have a menu suitable for vegetarians, I found out that this 'menu' consisted of endless coagulated milk rolls when I decided to go vegetarian for Lent. Admittedly I didn't tell anyone in the school about my fast, as I wanted to keep it private, but I was still a little annoyed when the cooks began preparing a special meal for a Buddhist girl towards the end of Lent because of her religious vegetarianism. There were lots of petty complaints about that from other girls (Kimi's food looked nicer, basically) and so when I asked the matron if I could have the same privilege during Lent she didn't believe that I was asking out of religious conviction at all. Perhaps I should have said something at the beginning.
123 Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 probably sweets, even though I love them so much.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now