SJRod55 Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 I am giving up Mars and Bounty bars and cutting back on Chocolate in general. (Chocoholic here)
catholimaniac Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 I'm going to give up participating on Protestant forums.
MissScripture Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='Rod' post='1192385' date='Feb 12 2007, 11:32 AM'] I am giving up Mars and Bounty bars and cutting back on Chocolate in general. (Chocoholic here) [/quote] I thought about doing that, but I think that as much of a sacrifice it would be for me, it would be more of a sacrifice to the people around me...
Piccoli Fiori JMJ Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 I'd like to give up elevators. I also want to get to bed by 10 every night I am not on duty or have meetings and get up at 7am. And read. I need to read my many many many unread books.
Lil Red Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 last year i gave up coffee - very hard for me. but it was good because then it prepared me for getting pregnant and cutting coffee/caffeine out of my diet totally! : this year i'll be nursing, so i will probably add something, not give something up.
franciscanheart Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 i think i'll be giving up soda. i don't drink a whole lot of it anyway (since it makes me sick to my stomach) but i'd like to give up the little i do have. this may change before now and ash wednesday but we'll see. i'm still praying about it...
Chiquitunga Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 I think, the internet all together .. though maybe not email, every week or so
traichuoi Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='FutureNunJMJ' post='1192499' date='Feb 12 2007, 10:41 AM'] I'd like to give up elevators. [/quote] wow...I like this one. Honestly, it's a really good one.
Tony Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1192304' date='Feb 12 2007, 10:03 AM'] I am excited this year my birthday is before Ash WEdnesday : I remember years when it was in Lent and I couldn't have a birthday party. [/quote] just have your B-day Party on Shrove Tuesday when that happens
homeschoolmom Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 My daughter's birthday is on the tail end of Lent this year (Apr. 2)... can't see having her party in Feb..... She'll just have to wait a week.
cmotherofpirl Posted February 12, 2007 Posted February 12, 2007 [quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1192358' date='Feb 12 2007, 11:49 AM'] I experienced something similar in my boarding school. Even though they claimed to have a menu suitable for vegetarians, I found out that this 'menu' consisted of endless coagulated milk rolls when I decided to go vegetarian for Lent. Admittedly I didn't tell anyone in the school about my fast, as I wanted to keep it private, but I was still a little annoyed when the cooks began preparing a special meal for a Buddhist girl towards the end of Lent because of her religious vegetarianism. There were lots of petty complaints about that from other girls (Kimi's food looked nicer, basically) and so when I asked the matron if I could have the same privilege during Lent she didn't believe that I was asking out of religious conviction at all. Perhaps I should have said something at the beginning. [/quote] Give her advanced warning now. Tell her you are doing the Great Fast.
PadrePioOfPietrelcino Posted February 13, 2007 Posted February 13, 2007 Since, I'm in a military training environment, I don't have much to give up. I've decided however to give up all beverages except water.
zwergel88 Posted February 13, 2007 Posted February 13, 2007 I don't know. I always used to give up junk food, but this past year I've turned into a health nut and I don't really eat junk food anyway. Therefore, I have to think of something else. I guess I better get on that.
mariahLVzJP2 Posted February 13, 2007 Posted February 13, 2007 procrastinating and sleeping in too much.
AlterDominicus Posted February 13, 2007 Posted February 13, 2007 I dont know, I think I'm going to try and give up making bad judgements about people, meaning to think TRIPLE before I speak - I will be in a convent on the 1st Sunday of Lent, that shall be a hoot!
The Mater Dolorosa Posted February 13, 2007 Posted February 13, 2007 Going to give up sugar, less time on the puter, and tv. More time in prayer!
xTrishaxLynnx Posted February 13, 2007 Posted February 13, 2007 (edited) [quote name='MissScripture' post='1192323' date='Feb 12 2007, 09:41 AM'] So, how're you going to fall asleep? (Just curious, and I won't let you give up sleep for lent!!) I am going to give up swearing, I want to say the rosary every day (which I should be doing anyway and if we ever get this darn microphone figured out, or if I get a new one, you're helping me with that, Trisha!), and I am going to make a list of 40 people and every day, I will devote my prayers to a different person for that day. [/quote] Well, before I started watching movies before bed, I usually read for a few hours before I fell asleep. So I'm thinking of finishing Theology of the Body, and I'm hopefully gonna pick up a copy of The Confessions of St. Augustine or something. No guarantee that I'll get to sleep before dawn, but at least I'll get some good reading in rather than watching the same movie for the 80th time (give or take : ) I'm really glad we got our mics working! Are we gonna wait til next week to start?... cuz I'm cool with starting anytime. : Edited February 13, 2007 by xTrishaxLynnx
Groo the Wanderer Posted February 13, 2007 Posted February 13, 2007 Confessions....yum! I'm on Book 4 now....so good....so good. Gonna give up coffee (serious addict), desserts (serious belly), and overeating (serious ditto)
homeschoolmom Posted February 13, 2007 Posted February 13, 2007 [quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1193660' date='Feb 13 2007, 01:13 PM'] Confessions....yum! I'm on Book 4 now....so good....so good. Gonna give up coffee (serious addict), desserts (serious belly), and overeating (serious ditto) [/quote] Giving up confession?
Groo the Wanderer Posted February 13, 2007 Posted February 13, 2007 nonononononono! Trisha was saying she was gonna give up tv to make more time to read ad Confessions was on her list. I was commenting on the book. Giving up sacraments for Lent? nonononononono!!! I need to express myself better.....
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now