An Old School Catholic Message Board

Gay Bishop Says No To Ultimatum

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1263615' date='May 3 2007, 08:52 PM']yikes. I FOR ONE LIKE EPISCOPALIANS AND ANGLICANS. *cough*

my professor once described herself and the Anglicans as "baby Catholics" and that we are closely related compared to other protestants. they often volunteer their school children at the Catholic Worker homeless shelter, and we serve food at their Church often. what's my point? i dunno. King Henry VIII was.. interesting.[/quote]
While there are some "good" Anglicans and Episcopalians, they (especially the Episcopalians) have long been infamous for their predominant liberalism.

Katholikos

[quote name='Ellenita' post='1263540' date='May 3 2007, 07:58 PM']They were a church born out of challenging tradition - marriage - since Henry VIII desired a divorce.
:lol: Does that include ex-anglicans at phatmass? :lol:[/quote]

You are indeed the best and the brightest, dear friend. So glad to see your name again at phatmass. How's Mum? Send me a PM.

Interestingly, I was looking at threads and this one came up on the list just a few threads after one about how do we attract more Protestants to Phatmass. My suggestion would be that this thread is exhibit A of how not to do so! I don't think I would be alone in taking offense at posts, in an interreligious dialogue thread, that knock down other religious groups- for example, by listing all the possible bad things one can think of and attributing them as being caused by one (Protestant, in this case) denomination. And if one is hoping to draw people toward the Roman Catholic Church, such an approach seems to me to be unlikely to be fruitful.

Perhaps ince the interreligious dialogue threads are listed on the debate table, the real point is not interreligious dialogue and my expectation was incorrect.

The Anglican church is joined at the hip with your church.

Google "The Gift of Authority"

So while you all get upset {understandably so} that they preach FOR homosexuality given their ACTIVE AND OPEN homosexual bishops and priests...

Ask yoruself why your church is so steadily trying to hook up with these guys?

[img]http://i11.tinypic.com/66xo9xf.jpg[/img]

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Budge' post='1264085' date='May 4 2007, 07:58 AM']The Anglican church is joined at the hip with your church.

So while you all get upset {understandably so} that they preach FOR homosexuality given their ACTIVE AND OPEN homosexual bishops and priests...

[img]http://i11.tinypic.com/66xo9xf.jpg[/img][/quote]

That's a misrepresentation of the situation, as I'm sure you know. The Catholic Church is not trying to "hook up" with the Anglican Church -- the point is that the Anglican Church and all schismatic churches acknowledge the grave error of separating from the Catholic Church and come home.

we're trying to get the whole Anglican Church to convert. Their women-priest thing basically killed that, though we don't give up; so now we just take whole parishes one by one.

I wonder how many parishes would have to convert before we get our act together, realize the whole church itself is too far gone, and set up a rival Archbishop of Canterbury? Once upon a time that would've been the course of action once we started getting whole Anglican-use parishes, we'd need to give them a patriarch at set them up as the uniate Anglican Catholic Sui Juris Church.

homeschoolmom

Budge... If you were able to obtain a photo of Jesus talking to a prostitute would you post it and accuse Him of trying to hook up with her?

johnnydigit

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1264106' date='May 4 2007, 07:39 AM']Budge... If you were able to obtain a photo of Jesus talking to a prostitute would you post it and accuse Him of trying to hook up with her?[/quote]

:lol_roll: honestly, some *people* have the most jacked up reasoning i've ever encountered.

i'm reminded of The Simpsons.. "Be like the boy.." everyone, "BE LIKE BOY! BE LIKE BOY!" now the senior citizens, "WE LIKE ROY! WE LIKE ROY!" Lisa, "Don't you guys know you're just being fed simple answers?" "AND HOW!"

dairygirl4u2c

***a lie closest to the truth is when the conscious screams the loudest.***
it's not your conscious telling you what's objectively right, it's you conscious telling you what's taught by the CC. it's creaming because there's merit to it.

if accepting gays is truth, then he should be willing to allow the church to split, if they insist on the split. it'd be better if they stayed dispite their differences but.
if you were teaching about baptism, and people contested its use, and so they were gonna split, would you stop teaching about baptism instead of let them leave?

if they want to split, that's their call.
he wants to stop the petty things about gays and work on the gosple. they are the problem the way i see it

so, i think a debate on the merit or lackthereof of gay accepting is warranted, without reference to just bc the CC says so. (arguments about ROmans in the bible and gays would be interesting)

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Budge' post='1264085' date='May 4 2007, 09:58 AM']The Anglican church is joined at the hip with your church.

[img]http://i11.tinypic.com/66xo9xf.jpg[/img][/quote]The Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, is not to blaim for American Episcopalians' homosexual agenda. We may be tempted to criticize him for not having enough backbone; but his position of authority as head of the Anglican Communion is not anything like the Pope in the Catholic Church. Hence the impending schism among Anglicans...

[quote]The Archbishop of Canterbury, Rowan Williams, is not to blaim for American Episcopalians' homosexual agenda. We may be tempted to criticize him for not having enough backbone; but his position of authority as head of the Anglican Communion is not anything like the Pope in the Catholic Church. Hence the impending schism among Anglicans...[/quote]

The Anglican church in England {europe} is just as liberal as here.

Its the Africans and others who want to do the split off..

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/25/world/africa/25episcopal.html?ex=1324702800&en=2d3ee7997f4872d7&ei=5088"]LINK[/url]

Rowan Williams even participated in a Druid ceremony, he is not the picture of what you all would consider ORThODOXY...

[url="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2002/08/06/ndruid06.xml&sSheet=/news/2002/08/06/ixhome.html"]ARCHBISHOP BECOMES A DRUID[/url]

homeschoolmom

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1264106' date='May 4 2007, 09:39 AM']Budge... If you were able to obtain a photo of Jesus talking to a prostitute would you post it and accuse Him of trying to hook up with her?[/quote]
:smokey:

No,

Because Jesus would be preaching the truth to her, rather then joining the prostitutes coalition for peace and pimp awareness.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1264100' date='May 4 2007, 08:20 AM']That's a misrepresentation of the situation, as I'm sure you know. The Catholic Church is not trying to "hook up" with the Anglican Church -- the point is that the Anglican Church and all schismatic churches acknowledge the grave error of separating from the Catholic Church and come home.[/quote]

[quote name='Budge' post='1264361' date='May 4 2007, 01:49 PM']No,

Because Jesus would be preaching the truth to her, rather then joining the prostitutes coalition for peace and pimp awareness.[/quote]

As I noted, this is a misrepresentation of the situation. There's no question of the Catholic Church "joining the prostitutes coalition for peace and pimp awareness." Does that mean that its leaders shouldn't talk to anyone? What's wonderful to see, in fact, is the Catholic Church standing firm on this issue in spite of the expectations of secular culture, as opposed to "growing" or "evolving" as with the Episcopalian Church in the US, or the Anglican Church in the UK.