An Old School Catholic Message Board

Going To A Protestant "praise" Gathering?

N/A Gone

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1215223' date='Mar 17 2007, 07:47 PM']hehe,

protestants would say the same thing brother. that catholic mass is repeatitive and boring[/quote]
:yes:

but they are missing out. Seriously.

I am staying with my brother and sister-in-law this weekend; she's a former Catholic, I'm a former Protestant. Pray for me ... maybe we can get some good talks going ...

if they understand then they are missing, if they dont understand then they think we are lacking.

Terra, understand the litugry if you want to engage your famly

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1215793' date='Mar 19 2007, 10:22 AM']if they understand then they are missing, if they dont understand then they think we are lacking.
Terra, understand the litugry if you want to engage your famly[/quote]
Oh I had the BEST talk with my brother tonight. He and my sister-in-law went to Mass with me on Sunday, and today he and I started talking about love and self-giving and how we should model Jesus' gift of unconditional love and sacrifice in our relationships ... then he made a comment about how he felt like he needed to be reminded more regularly about what it means to love, and how he connected communion with a reminder of Jesus' love for us. He's on his own practically come to a belief in the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and feels like he needs communion more than once a month ... we talked about how the Mass is structured, he was impressed with much of what he saw and wants me to give him books. I also shared with him more details about my conversion than we've talked about in the past, and I think he was really moved. It was SUCH a great talk, and he really sounds like he wants to learn more. I also told him that one of the things that convinced me that the Catholic Church was right was in examining the reformation ... I talked about how I came to see it not as people standing up for their personal beliefs, but as family members stepping back from the common table and breaking ties -- like if he and I were to fight, and he were to go off and never eat at the same table again and instead start up his own Thanksgiving traditions. I told him that we want him to come home ... he got a little misty. I get to spend some extended time with he and his wife later this week ... we're doing a road trip to the Grand Canyon ... so I'm hoping we can pick up the conversation with her around.

I am trying not to push too hard ... I want to be responsive rather than invasive, but I am really, really thinking that God is working in my brother's heart.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1216322' date='Mar 20 2007, 05:54 AM']Oh I had the BEST talk with my brother tonight. He and my sister-in-law went to Mass with me on Sunday, and today he and I started talking about love and self-giving and how we should model Jesus' gift of unconditional love and sacrifice in our relationships ... then he made a comment about how he felt like he needed to be reminded more regularly about what it means to love, and how he connected communion with a reminder of Jesus' love for us. He's on his own practically come to a belief in the Presence of Christ in the Eucharist, and feels like he needs communion more than once a month ... we talked about how the Mass is structured, he was impressed with much of what he saw and wants me to give him books. I also shared with him more details about my conversion than we've talked about in the past, and I think he was really moved. It was SUCH a great talk, and he really sounds like he wants to learn more. I also told him that one of the things that convinced me that the Catholic Church was right was in examining the reformation ... I talked about how I came to see it not as people standing up for their personal beliefs, but as family members stepping back from the common table and breaking ties -- like if he and I were to fight, and he were to go off and never eat at the same table again and instead start up his own Thanksgiving traditions. I told him that we want him to come home ... he got a little misty. I get to spend some extended time with he and his wife later this week ... we're doing a road trip to the Grand Canyon ... so I'm hoping we can pick up the conversation with her around.

I am trying not to push too hard ... I want to be responsive rather than invasive, but I am really, really thinking that God is working in my brother's heart.[/quote]

I'll be praying! :)

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1216322' date='Mar 20 2007, 12:54 AM']I also told him that one of the things that convinced me that the Catholic Church was right was in examining the reformation ... I talked about how I came to see it not as people standing up for their personal beliefs, but as family members stepping back from the common table and breaking ties -- like if he and I were to fight, and he were to go off and never eat at the same table again and instead start up his own Thanksgiving traditions. I told him that we want him to come home ... he got a little misty.

I am trying not to push too hard ... I want to be responsive rather than invasive, but I am really, really thinking that God is working in my brother's heart.[/quote]

That is an awesome analogy.

let me know if i can help

theculturewarrior

I used to feel alone in the faith. Unsolicited suggestion... pray for the circle of friends that God wants you to have. He doesn't feed us stones. :)