An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hannity And Fr. Etenauer

rkwright

It would be immoral for a married couple to restrict their conjugal relations to the woman's infertile periods alone with the intention of never having children, since that would be a form of "contraception."

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='isilzha' post='1211632' date='Mar 10 2007, 10:05 PM']I love Fr. Euteneuer he's the best. I'm really sad at the way Hannity treated him. I used to be a big fan of Sean (didn't really know about his BC stance), but after this thats it.[/quote]Yeah, as a Catholic listening to Hannity's vitriolic tirade, it was pretty ugly. While claiming to be Catholic he took every cheap shot in the book against the priest. I thought of the saying, "With friends like this, who needs enemies?"

It seems like Hannity wants to give O'Reilly a run for his money to claim the title "king of Cafeteria Catholics."

Edited by Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1211776' date='Mar 10 2007, 11:16 PM']Yeah, as a Catholic listening to Hannity's vitriolic tirade, it was pretty ugly. While claiming to be Catholic he took every cheap shot in the book against the priest. I thought of the saying, "With friends like this, who needs enemies?"

It seems like Hannity wants to give O'Reilly a run for his money to claim the title "king of Cafeteria Catholics."[/quote]

I used to like O'Reilly a lot too (I have a few of his books and a few of Hannity's too), but after I started hearing the stuff he was saying about the church and JPII he really fell off for me too. Seems that this is what is going to happen to Hannity too. I thought Hannity was better since I'd seen him interviewed on Raymond Arroyo's show and he seemed pretty good there. I guess not. It seems like Euteneuer hit a nerve and Hannity went full out on the attack for it.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='rkwright' post='1211696' date='Mar 10 2007, 09:10 PM']NFP does not render procreation impossible.[/quote] Neither do oral contraceptives, alot of contraceptives fail [as Fr. Etenauer mentioned in saying that 60% of women at an abortion clinic are there because their contraceptive pill failed them] but like oral contraceptives and condoms its still attempting to control a situation that may or may not be ours to control.

[quote]It would be immoral for a married couple to restrict their conjugal relations to the woman's infertile periods alone with the intention of never having children, since that would be a form of "contraception."[/quote] Agreed, it would be the attempt to control the situation, have the benefits of intimacy without the responsibilities.

Reza

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1212059' date='Mar 11 2007, 10:57 AM']Neither do oral contraceptives, alot of contraceptives fail [as Fr. Etenauer mentioned in saying that 60% of women at an abortion clinic are there because their contraceptive pill failed them] but like oral contraceptives and condoms its still attempting to control a situation that may or may not be ours to control.

Agreed, it would be the attempt to control the situation, have the benefits of intimacy without the responsibilities.

Reza[/quote]

Just because the mechanism failed it was still put in place in order to stop life. One who uses contraceptives is not open to the gift of life.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='rkwright' post='1212066' date='Mar 11 2007, 10:39 AM']Just because the mechanism failed it was still put in place in order to stop life. One who uses contraceptives is not open to the gift of life.[/quote]

Natural Birth Control is the same thing, and even taught in schools as such. Whats the point of "the rhythem method" [as it used to be known as]? It's to avoid a woman's most furtal points, in order to avoid the conception of life.

Reza

I agree taht Hannity did see to have his back up with this priest. But then this priest had publicly attacked him. I don't approve of Hannitys behavior during the interview. He attacked the priest personally and was very defensive. All in all I think it was a mistake to have had him on the program with Sean.

I will continue to listen to Sean Hannity on the occasions that I have the chance to hear him. I have not heard Hannity say the things that he is accused of saying.

well, I have been to busy reading a newspaper to even know that Hannity was a catholic or know that this such thing happened. i guess I am to busy watching TV. I only get to watch a couple hours of TV each week. The last time I was able to watch more thatn 2 hours of tv was last summer, when I was on break.

Good on Fr. Etenauer. Hannity passes himself off as some orthodox Catholic, but like all neoconservatives, he will compromise the faith for his sacred ideology. He's been doing it for years in his books.

I love how Hannity tries the classic neocon Catholic ploy, "How DARE you criticize me? I'm not YOUR side!" Well, sometimes heresy happens on the right too, and thankfully there are some who aren't afraid to call it when they see it.

I won't even comment on Hannity's feeble attempts at attacking the Church, other than he sounded like a token anti-Catholic/atheist. True colors?

Edited by Nathan

[quote name='Nathan' post='1212282' date='Mar 11 2007, 07:45 PM']Good on Fr. Etenauer. Hannity passes himself off as some orthodox Catholic, but like all neoconservatives, he will compromise the faith for his sacred ideology. He's been doing it for years in his books.[/quote]

Painting a lot of people with a very broad brush aren't you?

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1212287' date='Mar 11 2007, 07:00 PM']Painting a lot of people with a very broad brush aren't you?[/quote]

You're damned right I am. Richard John Neuhaus, George Weigel, Robert Novak, Peggy Noonan, (in recent years) Joseph Fessio... they're all the same. Their views warrant criticism. Just because they're more orthodox than liberal Catholics does not mean that they don't hold heretical views. All of them do; it's called Americanism and Zionism.

Edited by Nathan

[quote name='Nathan' post='1212288' date='Mar 11 2007, 09:02 PM']You're damned right I am. Richard John Neuhaus, George Weigel, Robert Novak, Peggy Noonan, (in recent years) Joseph Fessio... they're all the same. Their views warrant criticism. Just because they're more orthodox than liberal Catholics does not mean that they don't hold heretical views. All of them do; it's called Americanism and Zionism.[/quote]

It is a very, very broad brush... it's hard to be charitable when you feel strongly about something and a whole group disagrees with you! I know because I personally stink at it. I do not agree with everything I have ever read from Fr. Neuahus, Mr. Weigel etc (noooo way) but heresy is a word with a legal meaning, and it's probably not best to throw it around when the situation isn't clear. I really don't think Mr. Weigel fits the definition of heretic, for instance - he was the authorized biographer of John Paul II, wasn't he? :idontknow:

[quote name='Nathan' post='1212288' date='Mar 11 2007, 07:02 PM']You're damned right I am. Richard John Neuhaus, George Weigel, Robert Novak, Peggy Noonan, (in recent years) Joseph Fessio... they're all the same. Their views warrant criticism. Just because they're more orthodox than liberal Catholics does not mean that they don't hold heretical views. All of them do; it's called Americanism and Zionism.[/quote]
As far as I'm aware, none of the people you listed here support contraception nor attack the Church's teaching on contraception like Sean Hannity (though I don't know enough about Peggy Noonan to be sure). In fact, most of these people have publicly defended the Church's teaching on this topic.

Heresy is a serious charge; it should not be bantered about lightly to attack those you disagree with politically. You have provided not a single example of the alleged heresy of these people. I'm sorry, Nathan, but when you resort to calumny and slander, you are acting no better than Sean Hannity or anyone else.