An Old School Catholic Message Board

Call No Man Master Or Magisterium

Budge

Bible SAYS NO MAGISTERIUM!

:[b] 1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and[u] ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him[/u][/b]

So Catholics do you believe this verse or do you not?

Here is another verse to show you that Jesus Christ never meant for there to be a Magisterium.

[b]
Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called masters>: for one is your Master, [even] Christ.

[/b]

Jesus is saying right there, that the apostles are NOT to be called MASTERS.

Now lets look what the word MAGISTERIUM means...

from dictionary.com

[quote]

mag·is·te·ri·um Audio pronunciation of "magisterium" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (mj-stîr-m)
n. Roman Catholic Church

The authority to teach religious doctrine.

[Latin, the office of a teacher or other person in authority, from magister, [b]master[/b]. See magisterial.[/quote]

Of ALL the names to pick!

:idontknow:

Edited by Budge

thessalonian

If noboby is supposed to be taught then I guess James and Paul contradict Jesus.

James said that few should be teachers in James 3:1.

Paul said:

Chapter
Book

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11: And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,

Now if some are teachers there must be someone they are supposed to be teaching. So I guess those people violate the command somehow. This is just a quick scan. All I have time for.

Your inability to reconcile these things is not surprizing budge. You don't see the depth and breadth of scripture but use it as a club against the Catholic Church from which it sprang forth. You will forever bang your head against a wall.

Blessings

Nothing wrong with teachers but Jesus is supposed to be your only MASTER.

not men...
[b]
~{Matt.20:25}~
Jesus called them unto him, and said,
Ye know
that the princes of the Gentiles
exercise dominion over them,
and they that are great
exercise authority upon them.
26 But it shall not be among you..[/b]

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1216360' date='Mar 20 2007, 07:30 AM']Bible SAYS NO MAGISTERIUM!

:[b] 1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and[u] ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him[/u][/b][/quote]

[quote name='Budge' post='1216373' date='Mar 20 2007, 08:33 AM']Nothing wrong with teachers but Jesus is supposed to be your only MASTER.[/quote]

So you don't believe in 1 John 2:27 when it says you don't need teachers, because you say there's nothing wrong with teachers, but you are against us for having masters?

Anyway, Budge, "magister" can mean "master," but it can also mean "teacher." It's the Latin word for both. You yourself said there's nothing wrong with teachers. We simply have a teaching office in the Church.

[quote]not men...
[b]~{Matt.20:25}~
Ye know
and they that are great
26 But it shall not be among you..[/b][/quote]

Your translation isn't completely accurate. Jesus adds that Gentile rulers make their authority felt and "lord it over," implying that they push people around. The Magisterium doesn't do that in the sense that Jesus implies. Jesus said that He would give us shepherds; sometimes shepherds have to push their sheep to get them to go in the right direction. That's not the same as making the sheep run here and there and jump through hoops just because the shepherd can make them do it. The Magisterium, likewise, doesn't do that (or shouldn't, but we can't always have the ideal, can we?).

God bless,

Micah

Groo the Wanderer

Jeez Budgie..now yer resurrecting your old posts. You posted this tripe last year....same tired spewage...same tired arguments...same faulty personal and private misinterpretation of Scripture as last time.

Find some new material....please? :idontknow:

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='Budge' post='1216373' date='Mar 20 2007, 08:33 AM']Nothing wrong with teachers but Jesus is supposed to be your only MASTER.

not men...
[b]
~{Matt.20:25}~
Ye know
and they that are great
26 But it shall not be among you..[/b][/quote]

How many times are you going to flog this topic, Budge? Jesus gave the Apostles teaching authority. Deal with it.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1216387' date='Mar 20 2007, 10:50 AM']How many times are you going to flog this topic, Budge? Jesus gave the Apostles teaching authority. Deal with it.

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.[/quote]Well said.

"[i]Call none your father upon earth[/i]"... Neither be ye called masters. The meaning is that our Father in heaven is incomparably more to be regarded, than any father upon earth: and no master to be followed, who would lead us away from Christ. But this does not hinder but that we are by the law of God to have a due respect both for our parents and spiritual fathers, ([b]1 Cor. 4. 23:15[/b]) and for our masters and teachers.

"[i]You have no need[/i]"... You want not to be taught by any of these men, who, under pretence of imparting more knowledge to you, seek to seduce you ([b]ver. 26[/b]), since you are sufficiently taught already, and have all knowledge and grace in the church, with the unction of the Holy Ghost; which these new teachers have no share in.

KnightofChrist

[quote]Clearly, Christ did not literally mean that we can call NO man father, for in the sacred scriptures many people called "Father". For example in the Old Testament persons with governmental of spiritual authority in the Old Testament are addressed as "father." Priests (Jdg 17:10; 18:19) and prophets (2 Ki 2:12; 6:21) as well as Kings were sometimes called "father" as a sigh of respect. The Governor of Jerusalem was called "Father of those who live in Jerusalem" (Isa. 22:21). The scriptures tell us that Joseph became a "Father to Pharaoh" (Gen. 45:8).

In The New Testament, Christ himself called Abraham [Mk 11:9-10]and David [Lk 16:24] "Father". Both Stephan [Acts 7:2] and Paul [Acts 22:1] called the members of the Sanhedrin "Fathers". Paul, Called Abraham [Rom 4:1] our "forefather" and later referred to himself our "'Father in Christ" [1 Cor. 4-15]. Through out the NT epistles, God's OT people were often referred to as "our fathers" in a spiritual sense (1 Cor. 10:1; Heb. 1:1; cf. Rom. 9-11). The Apostle John called early Christian leaders "father" [1 Jn. 2:13].[/quote]

[url="http://www.catholicapologetics.net/apolo_115.htm"]http://www.catholicapologetics.net/apolo_115.htm[/url]

RezaMikhaeil

Really this is just a common protestant rhetoric and the reason why so many Protestants interpret the scriptures differently. Not everything in the scriptures is to be applied to those that read it. This particular scripture was said specifically to the Apostles. I know Protestants that apply the powers [to bind and loose] that were specifically given to St. Peter to themselves [IE: every believer in Jesus Christ was given these powers] completely ignoring the context.

Reza

theculturewarrior

We can't call anyone Rabbi, so we should probably do away with education. Oh, yeah, and you're now on a first name basis with your physicians and professors. We can't call anyone master, so now were on a first name basis with our teachers, except we did away with teachers, because we did away with rabbis. But don't call anyone mister, whatever you do.

And I guess we can't call anyone our father anymore. Sorry, Bill. I only have one Father now.

Edited by theculturewarrior

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1216565' date='Mar 20 2007, 02:36 PM']And I guess we can't call anyone our father anymore. Sorry, Bill. I only have one Father now.[/quote] :lol_roll:

[quote]Not everything in the scriptures is to be applied to those that read it. This particular scripture was said specifically to the Apostles.[/quote]

Actually I believe it applies to all Christian believers.

The sad thing is, i asked this the other day, what role does the Holy Spirit play in your life as a Catholic? When it seems that He is reserved only for the APOSTLES and your "apostolic successors" to lead THEM into truth and NOT YOU.