An Old School Catholic Message Board

Call No Man Master Or Magisterium

Budge

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1216661' date='Mar 20 2007, 06:50 PM']Actually I believe it applies to all Christian believers.

The sad thing is, i asked this the other day, what role does the Holy Spirit play in your life as a Catholic? When it seems that He is reserved only for the APOSTLES and your "apostolic successors" to lead THEM into truth and NOT YOU.[/quote]
Actually, I received the Holy Spirit at Baptism. So did everyone who had a valid Baptism. By that gift of the Holy Spirit, the Love of God poured into our hearts, we are justified and converted to God through the action of the Holy Spirit, with whom we are collaborators. Though I often fail to keep Him in mind (mea culpa), He is within me, opening my eyes to grace when I am willing to have them opened, and allowing me to be one with Christ in the glory of God the Father. Thank you, Budge, for allowing me to express my appreciation for the Holy Spirit, who guides me to follow the sayings of His teachers, the bishops, to whom He has revealed the Truth through Divine Revelation, allowing me also to partake in that Truth by following their instruction.

God bless,

Micah

In my college Latin course, our professor had us call him "Magister Andrews." I loved him because he was a great [b]teacher[/b] - in other words, a wonderful [i][b]magister [/b][/i]- and because he gave me an A. In that order, of course. ;)

By the way, this was a course in classical Latin, not ecclesiastical Latin. Magister Andrews was not part of any Catholic conspiracy :)

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Budge' post='1216661' date='Mar 20 2007, 05:50 PM']Actually I believe it applies to all Christian believers.

The sad thing is, i asked this the other day, what role does the Holy Spirit play in your life as a Catholic? When it seems that He is reserved only for the APOSTLES and your "apostolic successors" to lead THEM into truth and NOT YOU.[/quote]

I never said that the Holy Spirit was reserved strictly for the Apostles, what I said was that certain aspects that Jesus spoke to the Apostles [check the context], were meant just for them [IE: St. Peter was given the authority to bind and loose, not everyone of the apostles and not everyone of the believers, it was strictly given to him]. Therefore, when Jesus said "call no man father", it was said strictly to the Apostles and therefore if put inside of the proper context, it only applies to them [as St. Paul told Timothy to call him Father], not to mention the proper context as a whole [as others have mentioned] is referencing a higher spiritual calling.

If you reject this context, and continue to approach the scriptures as Jesus saying it to everyone and not just the Apostles [and in the case of St. Peter, Jesus saying it solely to St. Peter], then you're being guided by the Holy Spirit in doing so and are implying your own context within the scriptures, despite their clear meaning and purpose.

Reza

[quote]The sad thing is, i asked this the other day, what role does the Holy Spirit play in your life as a Catholic? When it seems that He is reserved only for the APOSTLES and your "apostolic successors" to lead THEM into truth and NOT YOU.[/quote]

Do you believe this verse APPLIES to YOU PERSONALLY or NOT?

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

I believe because Rome emphasizes the Holy Spirit dealing with their EXPERTS--clergy, rather then the individuals in the church, Roman Catholics have been denied even the GIFTS of the Spirit.

When are Catholics ever preached to on Discernment? or following the promptings of the Holy Spirit?

No you poor folks are told to follow men.

[quote]Therefore, when Jesus said "call no man father", it was said strictly to the Apostles and therefore if put inside of the proper context, it only applies to them [as St. Paul told Timothy to call him Father], not to mention the proper context as a whole [as others have mentioned] is referencing a higher spiritual calling.[/quote]

So this only applied to the apostles too, and that means the rest of you can ignore it and just call any relgiious leader you want FATHER.

See that is one way your church obliterates the meaning of scripture, it doesnt apply to this group but only applies to this one, stripping everything of its meaning.

St, Paul never told Timothy to call him father, he referred to himself as a "father" but this was NOT a demanded TITLE!

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1216801' date='Mar 21 2007, 07:40 AM']Do you believe this verse APPLIES to YOU PERSONALLY or NOT?

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

I believe because Rome emphasizes the Holy Spirit dealing with their EXPERTS--clergy, rather then the individuals in the church, Roman Catholics have been denied even the GIFTS of the Spirit.

When are Catholics ever preached to on Discernment? or following the promptings of the Holy Spirit?

No you poor folks are told to follow men.[/quote]
No, we're told to follow God. God revealed Himself in Scripture and Tradition and promised to guide the apostles in teaching the proper interpretation of that Revelation. Therefore, in following the teachings of the Magisterium, we follow God.

You ignored my post again, Budge. Please respond to it.

So you dont believe that verse applies to you?
[quote]Therefore, in following the teachings of the Magisterium, we follow God.[/quote]

I left because the teachings of the Magisterium were contradictory to those of God in the BIble.

I know Catholicism teaches at that point you are to repress what your mind is telling you and submit to the leadership.

The interfaith movement was enough for me to know that "apostolic succession" as claimed by the Catholic Church was not true.

thessalonian

[quote]I believe because Rome emphasizes the Holy Spirit dealing with their EXPERTS--clergy, rather then the individuals in the church, Roman Catholics have been denied even the GIFTS of the Spirit.

When are Catholics ever preached to on Discernment? or following the promptings of the Holy Spirit?[/quote]

Ya, that is what confirmation is all about. It is quite clear that you have not spent much time for a long time in a Catholic Church. Kinda like Catholics don't quote the Bible on this board. I hear about these things often. It's simply prejudice speaking from your hard heart budge. Ya don't know what your talking about.

Come on are you going to start with the you never were Catholic stuff?

I was even a RE teacher for a short time. Yeah I know horrors...;) they didnt allow us to teach away from the book

This has nothing to do with prejudice but realizing the place of the HOly Spirit in a good Bible church is different then in a Catholic one.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1216814' date='Mar 21 2007, 07:57 AM']So you dont believe that verse applies to you?
I left because the teachings of the Magisterium were contradictory to those of God in the BIble.

I know Catholicism teaches at that point you are to repress what your mind is telling you and submit to the leadership.

The interfaith movement was enough for me to know that "apostolic succession" as claimed by the Catholic Church was not true.[/quote]
Of course I believe that verse applies to me.

The Magisterium does not contradict the Bible.

The Catholic Church does not teach us to suppress what our mind tells us. My mind has always told me to follow the Magisterium.

Your view of the interfaith movement is a farce and a strawman fallacy. Please stick to what the Church actually teaches instead of making it up as you go along.

God bless,

Micah

thessalonian

Budge, I know you were Catholic but either you were at one screwed up parish or you slept during mass. Only two options. My experience is considerably different than yours. yes, its prejudice.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1216847' date='Mar 21 2007, 09:08 AM']Come on are you going to start with the you never were Catholic stuff?

I was even a RE teacher for a short time. Yeah I know horrors...;) they didnt allow us to teach away from the book

This has nothing to do with prejudice but realizing the place of the HOly Spirit in a good Bible church is different then in a Catholic one.[/quote]
Oh, then as a religious educator, you should have known that there are a lot of crummy religious education texts and teachings out there that don't line up with Church teaching. Perhaps this is why you don't seem to know what the Church teaches.

Budge, the Holy Spirit built the Catholic Church. He deliberately revealed the Scriptures to the Catholic Church. It is in her that I receive the Holy Spirit.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Budge' post='1216360' date='Mar 20 2007, 07:30 AM']Bible SAYS NO MAGISTERIUM!

:[b] 1Jo 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and[u] ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him[/u][/b]
So Catholics do you believe this verse or do you not?
Here is another verse to show you that Jesus Christ never meant for there to be a Magisterium.

[b]
Mat 23:10 Neither be ye called masters>: for one is your Master, [even] Christ.

[/b]

Jesus is saying right there, that the apostles are NOT to be called MASTERS.

Now lets look what the word MAGISTERIUM means...

from dictionary.com

Of ALL the names to pick!

:idontknow:[/quote]
Hey!! This thread is a rerun! I feel like copy/pasting the old version of this thread into this one. *shakes head*

Usually I check to make sure I dont do repeats, but since the board was revamped, I cant get to my old posts.

Sorry about that.