An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Vatican's Bad Art: Pagan In Design

Budge

Archaeology cat

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1217318' date='Mar 22 2007, 07:03 PM']There's something to be said for the form of his body, and his hands look like he is conducting a symphony, which I like.[/quote]

That's a great description! Thanks. :)

[quote name='Azriel' post='1217249' date='Mar 22 2007, 11:05 AM']It is quite ugly. I agree with Maria, I think they stuck it somewhere where they wouldn't have to look at it all the time.[/quote]

Actually, thats where they have the Wednesday audiences in the wintertime... so thousands of people see it every week.

I don't really like it much either. However, not knowing any of the background of the sculpture, my friends and I concluded when we went to the audience a couple weeks ago that it was probably Christ leading the Resurrection on the last day, pulling all the other souls up with Him.

And I don't think the hands look wimp at all. The second picture Budge posted is at a weird angle, but in the first you can definitely see that the right hand is facing upward, like in most pictures of Jesus, and the other hand is kind of pointing out and up. He's definietly not getting sucked DOWN into anything, it looks like He's coming up.

KnightofChrist

While I can see where someone may not like it, I think its pretty cool looking. It's no michelangelo, but it is quite awesome, in the true meaning of the word.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1217264' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:32 AM']While I also agree that it's ugly, I don't think that just because one artist has done lots of non-Christian art, their Christian art is somehow tainted. It could be the case, but I don't think it's necessarily the case.[/quote]

Oh, absolutely. Just because someone has done non Christian art doesn't make their Christian art "less" then.

I just happen to think this is ugly. To each their own. I may find something else he's done quite beautiful. :idontknow:

I think it's a cool sculpture. First thing I thought when I opened the thread was not "what the heck is Budge complaining about now", but "ooh fascinating sculpture of Christ!". I don't think I needed any background of the piece to see that it was Christ in a glorious state. The earthy tones sort of make it look a little tangled but it gives a certain quality to it which is inspiring. After all, Christ took on the matter He created! It's a wonderful thing.

Budge your still in a catholic bashing fest? you must be a miserable person if this is all you can do. I bet Catholicism is right at the top of your bashing list too huh? How sad. I can only imagine what kind of creed you've made up. Ya super pope. Out side the Catholic Church there is no salvation. Besides you can make up your own way to salvation. Christ already did that. You have not been given any authority so I advise you to quiet down.

[quote]You have not been given any authority so I advise you to quiet down.[/quote]

Hey if that applies to me, it applies to YOU.

Anyhow that is how your church shuts down all thinking, all false cults and churches claim unaccountable authority of man at the top.

Groo the Wanderer

[quote name='Budge' post='1217612' date='Mar 23 2007, 09:19 AM']Anyhow that is how your church shuts down all thinking, all false cults and churches claim unaccountable authority of man at the top.[/quote]

Sounds like Protestantism to me, actually. They place their tens of thousands of personal interpretations as the 'truth', each holding to their own version and claiming they are each correct.

The Holy Catholic Church however, clings only to the truth revealed to it by God, through Jesus Christ, and guided by the Holy Spirit. Our authority is that of Christ, given to us to share in and spread his ministry No other church even claims this....wonder why? :idontknow:

desertwoman

[quote name='jnorm888' post='1217498' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:27 PM']I think it's dope. It looks real cool!!![/quote]

Word. I really like it myself.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1217612' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:19 AM']Hey if that applies to me, it applies to YOU.

Anyhow that is how your church shuts down all thinking, all false cults and churches claim unaccountable authority of man at the top.[/quote]
So what about the true Church? Will it claim authority, or will it just go: "Whatever... :idontknow:"

The true Church is authoritative. That's because Jesus gave her authority.

Ok heres more weirdo Vatican art, this one is in one of the gardens it looks like it fell off a Nephilim Space Ship...

[img]http://lloydi.com/travel-writing/italy/images/modern-art-vatican-rome.jpg[/img]

cathoholic_anonymous

You should visit the Pompidou Centre in France. It's got even more unusual pieces than this in it.

Budge, this thread says nothing about Catholicism. It is all about the interpretation and appreciation of modern artwork. Interesting as that is, it's not really what this forum is for.