An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Vatican's Bad Art: Pagan In Design

Budge

I am trained in art.

I believe that the type of art the Vatican chooses shows something about it.

The big gold ball above looks like an eye of Sauron too...

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Budge' post='1219861' date='Mar 26 2007, 09:31 AM']I am trained in art.

The big gold ball above looks like an eye of Sauron too...[/quote]

The Pope is a servant of Sauron too? :unsure:

hoosieranna

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1217269' date='Mar 22 2007, 10:38 AM']what is a protestant doing saying WE have bad art..at least we have something visual in mass rather than just the big hats on the hat ladies[/quote]

Hey, some of those hats cost a lot of money! The bigger and uglier, the most expensive.

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1220035' date='Mar 26 2007, 06:16 PM']The bigger and uglier, the most expensive.[/quote]

Sculptures, or hats?

thessalonian

I find it interesting that when Paul came strolling in to Athens he didn't come in condemning their art and their altars. He in fact used one of their altars to explain Christ to them. He even quoted a pagan sage or two "kicked in the goads" "in him we live and move and have our being".

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Budge' post='1219861' date='Mar 26 2007, 08:31 AM']I am trained in art.

You're right, the type of art the Vatican chooses shows something about it...

The Vatican is obviously obsessed with:

[img]http://faculty.eicc.edu/ckrumbein/images/rome98-creation-of-man.jpg[/img]

Nudity...

[img]http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/2/26/300px-Laoconte.jpg[/img]

Snakes, pagans, and nudity...

[img]http://images.worldofstock.com/slides/AAB1486.jpg[/img]

Gold...

[img]http://www.windows.ucar.edu/mythology/images/perseus_vatican_sm.jpg[/img]

...and more nudity! Not to mention severed heads...

If only the rest of the world could see these and realize that the Catholic Church isn't at all the prude it thinks she is...

:P:

There may be some crummy art in the Vatican, Budge, but if you're going to claim that the art defines the organization, then you're going to have to consider all the art...and I've been to the Vatican...I think there's more art there than any other place on earth.

God bless,

Micah

What the hell is the big golden ball anyways?

Well i do think that particular statue in question is rather ugly and i would not recommend supporting the artist in the future, i do think supporting artists in general is good, especially if that is jazz that people like.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Templari' post='1220204' date='Mar 26 2007, 11:57 PM']What the hell is the big golden ball anyways?[/quote]

It's the eye of Sauron. The Vatican wants the ring. :ohmy:

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Templari' post='1220204' date='Mar 26 2007, 11:57 PM']What the hell is the big golden ball anyways?[/quote]

It's the eye of Sauron. The Vatican wants the ring. :ohmy:

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote]I am trained in art.[/quote]

Budge, what does that mean? Does it mean that you have taken a degree in Art and the History of Art at a reputable university? I study literature and linguistics at Cambridge, but we are encouraged to learn as much as possible about music, art, and visual culture, as these inform our understanding of literature and language. I recently completed a study of cubist art, and I've discovered that a lot of the artwork that I don't 'like' has a challenging beauty of its own. You seem to be working on the primitive assumption that if it 'looks' ugly then it must be evil.

I also remember the time when you wrote that the Turks must be moon-worshippers because they have a crescent on their flag. I'm sorry, but that kind of superficial assessment doesn't bode well for your art criticism.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1220383' date='Mar 27 2007, 07:31 AM']It's the eye of Sauron. The Vatican wants the ring. :ohmy:[/quote]
Pffft...you and I both know that the Vatican already has the ring. :rolleyes:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Budge' post='1219861' date='Mar 26 2007, 10:31 AM']I am trained in art.

And your point? The Vatican has 3000 years of art, so if you think about it, it merely points out the Church is universal and so is the love of beautiful things.

[quote name='Templari' post='1220204' date='Mar 27 2007, 12:57 AM']What the hell is the big golden ball anyways?
Well i do think that particular statue in question is rather ugly and i would not recommend supporting the artist in the future, i do think supporting artists in general is good, especially if that is jazz that people like.[/quote]

Hey buddy, good to see ya posting! I dunno I sort of like the art as I mentioned earlier. Budge, the fact that you've been schooled in art is a non-sequiteur on your main argument. It's one of those, "who cares?" moments (side note, I do care, but not as far as the argument). It's all about the creator's intent. The art has beauty because it reflects Christ. Let me get this straight though, I don't think an impressionist attempt at Christ would go so well... :detective:

[quote]he art has beauty because it reflects Christ.[/quote]

How does that big sauron eyeball golden ball reflect Christ?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Budge' post='1221115' date='Mar 28 2007, 11:49 AM']How does that big sauron eyeball golden ball reflect Christ?[/quote]
It be nice if you bothered to get your facts at least semi-straight. The[b] bronze[/b] sculpture is 4m in diameter and was the first piece of modern art to be displayed at the Vatican [b]Museum[/b]. It was sculptured by an Italian Arnaldo Pamadoro. Its called modern art, so of course its ugly.
[url="http://www.travelpost.com/photo-large.aspx?imid=31524"]http://www.travelpost.com/photo-large.aspx?imid=31524[/url]