An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Vatican's Bad Art: Pagan In Design

Budge

[img]http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/3923/1165480686paparim6uj1.jpg[/img]

from another board...

[quote]
But isn't this a bloody hint as who the catholic "lord" really is?[/quote]I found out this creepy "statue" is in one of the buildings at the Vatican,
and it is in the Pope PAUL VI Theatre...

More information on the artist who made this monstrosity...

[quote] Quote:
Ive been trying to track down the 'inspiration' or at least a description for the sculpture "Earnest Hope" which was donated in 1964 by Yuyu Yang to the Vatican and placed in Pope Paul VI Hall.

Initially the 'main' subject looks to be a lizard type creature rising, but in actuality, it is a human figure with long hair, facing down to its left.

I cannot seem to find any type of explanation on Yang's sites or the Vatican's, but Pope Paul VI Hall is typically used for Christmas ceremonies and concerts which are of a more modern nature (vs classical/devotional).

Some of Yuyu Yang's other sculptures are:

[b] "Everlasting"
"Phoenix Scales the Heavens"
"Flying Dragon"[/b]
"Harmony"
[b] "Dragon's Song in a Cosmic Void"
"Solar Brilliance"
"Goddess Kuan-yin & Prayer Shan-tsai"[/b]
"Satisfaction"
"Reclining"
"Dreaming"
[b]"Goddess of Mercy"
"Budddha of Praying for Peace"[/b]
"Apothecary"
"Philosopher"
"Smell, Think & Cultivate"
"[b]Benefit Buddah"
"Puxian Buddah"
"Wenshu Buddha"[/b]

The names themselves reveal enough of the 'inspiration' to me to want to stay away from strange images.

[url="http://www.artnetworking.com/allpic1.asp?authorid=YangYuYu0223252115"]http://www.artnetworking.com/allpic1.asp?a...gYuYu0223252115[/url]

[b] It certainly confirms some of the reasoning behind the mandate regarding the making of 'graven images.'

This particular 'image' certainly does not require much spiritual discernment to understand how many or what type of unclean spirits are attached to it.[/b]

You didn't happen to see this when you were at the Vatican, did you Bridget?

About Yuyu Yang:
Quote:
1964 - Chosen to meet and donated sculpture "Earnest Hope" to Pope Paul at the Vatican as an alumni representative of FuJen Catholic University, Taiwan. Studied in the Sculpture Department of the National Academy of Art, Rome. Convened works and organized "Contemporary Chinese Art" exhibition for Modern Fine Arts Museum, Rome.[/quote]
[quote][b]It is also clear that the figure is moving downward, not up. This is evidenced by the hair flowing upward. If the artist had intended to depict a body rising, the hair would not also be rising.

Also, look at the flopping wrists, the uncontrolled hands and fingers, and the weak physique. This sculpture is a depiction of a beaten, helpless person getting sucked into some dismal abyss of confusion. In other words, this is a picture of someone getting sucked into hell.[/b]

But most Catholics are so trusting of the Vatican and its agents that they cannot see the obvious. These Roman hierarchs are so confident that their flock is ***** and naive. They know that they can be photographed, sitting on thrones before such a repulsive and disgusting image. Their 100% brainwashed followers will dare not recognize and flee from the in-your-face evil.[/quote]

[img]http://www.christiantoday.com/files/church/church_20040826_thu3art.jpg[/img]

Edited by Budge

theculturewarrior

While I personally don't like the sculpture, I think it is somewhat blasphemous to describe a statue of the Risen Lord as pagan. I don't think the artist's other works make a difference.

Edited by theculturewarrior

theculturewarrior

By the way, Catholics believe Christ descended to Sheol and rose again in three days. That said, he doesn't appear to be being "sucked into hell." It looks like he is rising to me.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='theculturewarrior' post='1217227' date='Mar 22 2007, 09:11 AM']Either way, it's blasphemous to call it pagan.[/quote]

[url="http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=christ%27s+descent+into+hell&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2"]http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&...mages&gbv=2[/url]

You know, there could have been a breeze or strong wind or something at such a momentous event that would account for the hair...
I don't like the sculpture either, btw. I wonder if anyone does... d'ya think they stuck it in that building so they wouldn't have to see it when they were actually trying to pray? Not like they could throw it away, and it's too big to be tucked away somewhere...

It is quite ugly. I agree with Maria, I think they stuck it somewhere where they wouldn't have to look at it all the time.

Thy Geekdom Come

While I also agree that it's ugly, I don't think that just because one artist has done lots of non-Christian art, their Christian art is somehow tainted. It could be the case, but I don't think it's necessarily the case.

what is a protestant doing saying WE have bad art..at least we have something visual in mass rather than just the big hats on the hat ladies

Archaeology cat

Okay, so I'll be the odd man out here, but I actually like it. I don't usually like modern art really, but I do like this piece. To me, it brings out both natures of Jesus, though I can't really describe it at the moment. For some reason it made me think a little bit of Isaiah 53, as well.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1217264' date='Mar 22 2007, 03:32 PM']I don't think that just because one artist has done lots of non-Christian art, their Christian art is somehow tainted. It could be the case, but I don't think it's necessarily the case.[/quote]

And this is a good point. If it were the case, then most Renaissance artists would be out, too, since many of them also painted or sculpted things from Greek and Roman mythology, in addition to Christian works.

Oh, and culturewarrior, I think it's called "Earnest Hope".

Edited by Archaeology cat

theculturewarrior

A defeated, weak, and battered Christ being sucked into hell doesn't quite fit the title, does it?

theculturewarrior

He's probably making those other statues within the Tibetan school of Buddhism, which one could argue is not polytheistic, and statues of Buddha are anything but idolatrous.

theculturewarrior

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1217305' date='Mar 22 2007, 01:52 PM']Okay, so I'll be the odd man out here, but I actually like it. I don't usually like modern art really, but I do like this piece. To me, it brings out both natures of Jesus, though I can't really describe it at the moment. For some reason it made me think a little bit of Isaiah 53, as well.
And this is a good point. If it were the case, then most Renaissance artists would be out, too, since many of them also painted or sculpted things from Greek and Roman mythology, in addition to Christian works.

Oh, and culturewarrior, I think it's called "Earnest Hope".[/quote]

There's something to be said for the form of his body, and his hands look like he is conducting a symphony, which I like. It is really hard to judge from the pictures. I find the background busy, and I think the hair could use some work. (Reminds me of the Cure).

looks rather earthy for me (sooo brown) but the fact is that its art, and art can draw people closer to God. As long as there is no evil placed upon it, then who really cares who designed it. The quality of the art should rest on its finaly product (and ability to use it to draw close to God) with intention of the maker, not on the intention of the artist's other works.