An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priests And Cufflinks

the_rev

I have a question for phatmassers. It is quite simple, what do you think when you see a priest wearing cufflinks. What is your opinion.

Most commonly cufflinks are worn by priests under cassocks, or when wearing a clerical vest or Toomy. Just curious.

Bishops also commonly wear cufflinks, but one does not need to be a Bishop to do so.

I don't think I've ever seen my priest in anything [i]less[/i] than cufflinks. It doesn't bother me much. I know they're not expensive, and he only has one pair. Hardly breaking the vows of poverty.

Now priests driving late model Lincoln Town Cars... :rolleyes:

Noel's angel

Never seen a priest in cufflinks. Not that I've noticed. But I do usually notice things like that. Hmmm

Laudate_Dominum

I think it's cool and I don't understand why it would be a problem at all. I own a few sets of cufflinks and while some of them are expensive it is still possible to get a nice looking pair for like 40 bucks. But I still don't see why clerics with cufflinks should be considered scandalous. What bothers me is things like priests who dress in jeans and t-shirts all the time as if they aren't priests.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Paladin' post='1231576' date='Apr 5 2007, 04:20 PM']I don't think I've ever seen my priest in anything [i]less[/i] than cufflinks. It doesn't bother me much. I know they're not expensive, and he only has one pair. Hardly breaking the vows of poverty.

Now priests driving late model Lincoln Town Cars... :rolleyes:[/quote]
Secular clergy are not bound to some sort of extreme Franciscan poverty.
Cufflinks are not necessarily expensive at all (probably cheaper than his watch), and for all you know they were a gift from him mum or something.
Either way I think it could be considered a cool witness when a priest respects his priestly status enough to dress respectably.

Another point: secular clergy are regularly called upon to be present at weddings, funerals, baptisms, Mass, formal meetings, dinners, etc. and it seems respectful and proper in light of this for a priest to hold himself to a certain standard of formality in dress.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1231643' date='Apr 5 2007, 07:49 PM']Secular clergy are not bound to some sort of extreme Franciscan poverty.
Cufflinks are not necessarily expensive at all (probably cheaper than his watch), and for all you know they were a gift from him mum or something.
Either way I think it could be considered a cool witness when a priest respects his priestly status enough to dress respectably.

Another point: secular clergy are regularly called upon to be present at weddings, funerals, baptisms, Mass, formal meetings, dinners, etc. and it seems respectful and proper in light of this for a priest to hold himself to a certain standard of formality in dress.[/quote]
I don't mind cufflinks a bit. The Town Car crack was a joke: my priest drives a nicer car than I do. :lol_roll:

Noel's angel

[quote name='cappie' post='1231690' date='Apr 6 2007, 01:53 AM']They don't go with my habit :whistle:[/quote]

:lol_roll:

I was asking becasue I am a fan of cufflinks, I wear them on Sundays and on special occasions, I have several shirts and several pairs. My "spiritual director" hates cufflinks and told me to rid myself of them, though really he has no reasoning, he is surrounded by cufflinks, with the Monsignor, and the deacon of the parish, and me! I'm gald people don't mind if priests wear cufflinks, gives me something to think about in eight years from now. ;)

homeschoolmom

My husband still has the cufflinks that he wore when we got married... but he's never worn them since. I don't think I've ever seen anyone where cufflinks. Don't most shirts have buttons...?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1232237' date='Apr 6 2007, 10:07 AM']My husband still has the cufflinks that he wore when we got married... but he's never worn them since. I don't think I've ever seen anyone where cufflinks. Don't most shirts have buttons...?[/quote]
:idontknow:

can't say I've given it much thought either

diocesan priests do not have a vow of poverty and ought to have the same standard of living economically of the average person in their parish area. nothing wrong with cuff links.

A good friend of mine who is a retired priest has over 200 pairs. He got one as a Christmas gift from a parishioner many years ago and it became "the" gift to buy for him. Consequently, I've never seen the man in anything less than full clerical vestfront and white French cuff dress shirt and a different pair of cuffs everyday (sometimes 2 a day). He drives a Mercury Sable....

Funny story: I called him at 4:45pm once because my scheduled presider for 5pm Mass was ill. My friend said he was in his lounge attire (a running suit) but he would be over straight away. Expecting him in street clothing, I dug out the only amice I had in the sacristy to cover his running suit. But true to form, he arrived in full clerical clothing and Mass began on time. Bless his little soul!

Lounge Daddy

I think anybody wearing cufflinks, tie tacks, suspenders and any other such items is very very :cool: