An Old School Catholic Message Board

Priests And Cufflinks

the_rev

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1232237' date='Apr 6 2007, 12:07 PM']My husband still has the cufflinks that he wore when we got married... but he's never worn them since. I don't think I've ever seen anyone where cufflinks. Don't most shirts have buttons...?[/quote]Wow, the tuxedo rental place wouldn't let me keep the cufflinks that I wore at my wedding. :lol:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1238345' date='Apr 10 2007, 10:40 PM']me too... (would a drool smiley be inappropriate? Cappie uses it all the time)[/quote]
My initial thought was yes ... but then I felt a little weird posting it ... :unsure:

homeschoolmom
:lol:
It would seem a little Thornbirds-ish... so no...

Very handsome... nice authoritative look... no drool.

definite drool. i :love: cassocks!! i really equate it with holiness and orthodoxy in priests, which pry isn't always the case, but the only priests i've ever known to wear them were indeed holy and wonderful :saint:

in fact, i was so infatuated with them in college, that we had a "cassock" tally board. everytime my roommate and i would get excited about how great cassocks were, we'd tally it on the board. :blush: um yea.... lots of tallys :P:

Speaking as a member of the diocesan clergy, :disguise:

I would just like to say, that I wear cuff links and I own three pairs of them. My favorite are the ones I wore for Easter, gold with black onyx circles with gold crosses inlaid. They were a gift. I certainly think that Jesus deserves them, not me, but him. Since I stand in his person, I look at it as a way of honoring him. It is the same mentality when it comes to vestments.

RANT: Cheap vestments or not taking care of vestments in the name of poverty, in my opinion is lame. I know guys in the priesthood who say, "Why would you spend so much money on a chalice or a vestment?" but they drive brand new cars. My thought to my brothers is, "So you are carried in a nice vessel but Jesus can't be?" :annoyed:

Cassocks rock. House of Hansen in Chicago makes the best ones. Mine was tailored by them with 33 buttons down the front, one for each year of the life of Christ. It also has five buttons on each sleeve, for the wounds of Christ. Cassocks are really not looked upon favorably here, but I wear it.

peace.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='cappie' post='1231690' date='Apr 5 2007, 06:53 PM']They don't go with my habit :whistle:[/quote]
haha, yeah, that's why I was careful to indicate that my comments pertained to "secular clergy" because obviously religious clergy may not have the option of cufflinks in the first place. :-)

Suddenly I'm thinking of the medieval debates surrounding mendicancy and the alleged materialism of the secular clergy. haha The one thing in the middle ages that the Franciscans and Dominicans "almost" agreed on. I say almost because I seem to recall Franciscans and Dominicans of the time who, while agreeing in substance, still chose to quibble over details. hehe

*sigh* That whole subject never gets old (Fran. & Dom. rivalry that is).

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1232237' date='Apr 6 2007, 10:07 AM']My husband still has the cufflinks that he wore when we got married... but he's never worn them since. I don't think I've ever seen anyone where cufflinks. Don't most shirts have buttons...?[/quote]
I wear cufflinks on a regular basis.. Probably about once a week. Well, when I wear a suit anyway.

I suppose common shirts do simply have buttons, but the french cuff style is my fave and you need cufflinks for that. It would be a disgrace in my opinion to wear a buttoned cuff shirt with a truly nice suit.

Well, maybe "disgrace" is too strong a word, but it would be a little bit out of place anyway; at least according to my sensibilities.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Pontifex' post='1238407' date='Apr 10 2007, 11:09 PM']Speaking as a member of the diocesan clergy, :disguise:

I would just like to say, that I wear cuff links and I own three pairs of them. My favorite are the ones I wore for Easter, gold with black onyx circles with gold crosses inlaid. They were a gift. I certainly think that Jesus deserves them, not me, but him. Since I stand in his person, I look at it as a way of honoring him. It is the same mentality when it comes to vestments.[/quote]
:applause:

That's exactly how I tend to interpret things when I happen to see a well dressed priest. It is the dignity of the office that deserves the outward sign of respect which distinguished dress brings.

I highly doubt this discussion would have left much for debate 50 years ago. It used to be that a man of self respect would not be seen in public without a tie and suit jacket.

I also think it is silly that people would assume that a priest with some decent threads and cufflinks is some kind of high roller. I've had friends (not priests per se) who always had phat clothes and maybe a pimped out ride but in fact lived in a roach infested shack and were on welfare. You never know. lol.