An Old School Catholic Message Board

Benedict To Canonize Brazilian Folk Magician

Budge

Akalyte...

its all about the "men in silk" when it comes to your church.

This means they can do whatever they want, including the forsaking of God, and you all will follow them and disdain anyone who exposes their universalism.

[quote]Sorry, I'm a Christian.[/quote]

So if you are,....

Why arent you standing up agianst hirelings who worship hindu deities?

Paladin D

[quote name='Budge' post='1269325' date='May 9 2007, 04:30 PM']This means they can do whatever they want, including the forsaking of God...[/quote]

Sounds a lot like... [b]Budge[/b]?

Brother Adam

[quote name='Budge' post='1269326' date='May 9 2007, 06:31 PM']So if you are,....

Why arent you standing up agianst hirelings who worship hindu deities?[/quote]

You mean why do I pray for them, as God commands?

Brother Adam

[quote name='Budge' post='1269331' date='May 9 2007, 06:33 PM']Yeah pray for him, I will,

that he ACTUALLY BECOMES A CHRISTIAN.[/quote]

Good, we should pray for anyone who does something that the Catholic Church specifically forbids. That's why I pray for you too.

Budge, you are making yourself out to be a "superpope". Thinking you can judge everyone who doesnt think like you..

Brother Adam

"So why is he bishop?"

Why is the man a bishop who forbade the nuns to make the pills?

[quote]I don't believe it is false. I believe that was only PART of the story. A half truth is still not the truth.

The Catholic Church doesn't randomly approve miracles. It is a long process. The "magic pills" you are referring to are not the ones that this man is creditted for. They are made by nun's who were, in fact, disobeying what the Church told them.[/quote]

Are you going to respond to this?

homeschoolmom

[quote name='prose' post='1269351' date='May 9 2007, 03:50 PM']Are you going to respond to this?[/quote]
You'll have to wait. budge is vacationing. :tumbleweed:

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]Yes, in fact, as I read that I was making my own magic pills.[/quote]

:lol_roll:
props for the funny.

HollyDolly
:idontknow: I agree with Cardnial Lorscheinder in Budge's article that the magic pills is indeed a ridiculous devotion and yes the nuns are disobedient for continuing to make them.
I think I understand the point Budge is trying to make about the canonization.The magic pills are a very peculair devotion and have nothing to do with Jesus and His teachings to the apostles. IF Father Antonio Galvao did instruct people to make them ,etc,then one could by rights say this was a form of heresy and goes against I would think the teachings of the Church .

I know it is a long process to sainthood.I know also the life of the candidate is closely examined,or used to be.There was even the office of the Devil's Advocate in these cases,who argued why a person might not be worthy to become a saint.

With the business of the falling off of Catholics in Brazil,what the vatican hopes to achieve by this canonization or declaring Galvao Blessed is to try to give brazilians a sense of pride in the church amongst other things and therefore perhasp slowly reverse the losses there.Better religious instruction from cradle to grave would be more effective in my opinion.
The church has neglected the poor and lower middle class in Latin America,hence the inroads fundementalists have made in Central and South America.What religious instruction they recieve if any,I have no idea.

I don't think Budge would have a problem with Rose Hawthorne Lathrop.I believe her cause is before Rome.She was the daughter of the writer,Nathaniel Hawthorne,and later in life became a convert to Catholicism.She founded the Servants of Relief of Incurable Cancer,also known as the Dominican Sisters of St.Rose of Lima.or there is also St.katherine Drexel,founder of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament who spent her life and vast wealth helping blacks and native americans when they were neglected and ignored by many.
But thispill thing smacks of magic,and has nothing to do with the gospels,which maybe the point budge is trying to make in a not so subtle way.,and it is hard to avoid,since it has been reported in the press.Magic and spiritualism is very big in brazil
and sometimes they combine the two.

It is also possible that Father Galvao was making a joke to someone about the pills,and they took him literally.One would have to do more research on the true origin of them and how they came about.

If past behavior is any indication of future perfomance, I would have to say no it won't impress her. I would suspect that she would say something to the effect that they were stuck in the Roman Catholic System(tm) and the poor things were deceived into believing in a Works Righteousness(tm). At least that's how she's acted in the past regarding discerners on this board on at least two threads.

DISCLAIMER: Nothing in the above statement involves reading anyone's heart. Past Performance does not guarantee Future Behavior.

Katholikos

[quote]One would have to do more research on the true origin of them and how they came about.[/quote]

However they came about, it was [i][b]not[/b][/i] from the teaching of the Church. The Church can't control these abberations, anymore than she can stop Americans from leaving those superstitious Saint Jude flyers in the Churches.

The Church is responsible for what she teaches, not for what every kooky Catholic may do. The Church's job is to teach; our job is to learn and obey. If these ppl were following the Church's teaching, you (and Budge) would have a point. But they're going [b]against[/b] the Church's teaching.

Disobedience is rampant all over the world, it primarily stems from the influence of Protestant individualism.

Likos