An Old School Catholic Message Board

Awww... Pope!

Ash Wednesday

MissScripture

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1272747' date='May 13 2007, 10:11 PM']The thing is, the kids might have done some introduction or customary bowing/genuflection beforehand. I don't even know if this was a ceremony, a mass, or what. It's not right to assume there was some "wrongdoing" (sorry kids, it's off to hell for you for hugging the pope!) from just a single picture.

If I was a kid I'd want to hug the pope! Or even if I wasn't a kid.[/quote]
I know! If I got to hug the Pope, I'd probably be in shock for DAYS afterwards!

Church Punk

We genuflect on our left knee to show our reverance to the pope, cardinal, bishop for their position in the Church. That is by genuflecting and kissing the ring we show that we are in fact reconizing that the person who you are genuflecting to holds the among the highest positions in the Church on Earth and you are in fact testifing that this true.

In the case of these children...Why get worked up over this, they are only Children, and by the look on Papa's face, I dont think he minds giving these kids a hug rather than having them genuflect to him. What is a greater sign by child, genuflecting or welcoming him with open arms?

[quote name='XIX' post='1272450' date='May 13 2007, 03:23 PM']I'm not sure about the Pope, but I do know that we normally supposed to genuflect to the Tabernacle (God) on our right knee.

I have no idea why, but it's in the GIRM, so I roll with it.

That said, there' nothing wrong with huggin the Pope...[/quote]
Actually, STM is right about there being a tradition to reserve the right knee for God and using the left knee for temporal powers. That goes back to when there were kings and feudal lords and people actually did genuflect a lot though.

I love the picture, though. And how is it more respectful to genuflect to the Pope than to hug him? If you think about it the two gestures are both signs of some degree of love and devotion.... genuflecting is just more reserved. :mellow:

Phoenix Reborn

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1272036' date='May 12 2007, 06:04 PM'][img]http://us.yimg.com/p/rids/20070512/i/r3304401400.jpg[/img][/quote]

I don't know about you, but the Pope looks pretty happy even though they didn't genuflect.

Edited by Phoenix Reborn

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1272738' date='May 13 2007, 09:06 PM']ME TOO! And it would be really cool to get to ride in the Popemobile![/quote]

Heck yes. :punk:

[quote name='Phoenix Reborn' post='1272739' date='May 13 2007, 09:07 PM']The Pope loves children, just as Jesus does.[/quote]
[quote name='Tindomiel' post='1273972' date='May 15 2007, 09:12 AM']I love the picture, though. And how is it more respectful to genuflect to the Pope than to hug him? If you think about it the two gestures are both signs of some degree of love and devotion.... genuflecting is just more reserved. :mellow:[/quote]

Yeah, that is what I was thinking.

[quote name='Phoenix Reborn' post='1273975' date='May 15 2007, 09:23 AM']I don't know about you, but the Pope looks pretty happy even though they didn't genuflect.[/quote]

Yes. He does.

Speaking of the Pope and children, I found this picture at the [url="http://freeforumzone.leonardo.it/viewforum.aspx?f=65482"]Papa Ratzinger Forums[/url]:

:rolleyes: Sooo cute...

[img]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r30/prophet_o_peace/TK-riddle/geschwisteregyutt3a_1930.jpg[/img]

misereremi

aww..these pics are cute. I caught that moment on EWTN when the kids hugged the Pope...my 4 year old was watching with me and she went "Mama, I sure hope they washed their hands first, they'll mess up his white dress" :rolleyes: