An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Thoughts On Praying The Rosary, To Mary, And Other Saints

GodChaser

Regarding the "Hail Mary" and giving praise to Mary:
[quote]And in the sixth month, the angel Gabriel was sent from God into a city of Galilee, called Nazareth, to a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David: and the virgin's name was Mary. And the angel being come in, said unto her: [b]Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. [/b][/quote]~ Luke 1:26-28

[quote]And Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost. And she cried out with a loud voice and said: [b]Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.[/b][/quote]Luke 1:42

[quote]Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid: [b]for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed[/b].[/quote]Luke 1:48

Doesn't get much more Biblical than that.

As for "graven images" do we really have to go over the Cherubim on the Ark of the Covenenant and the Bronze Serpent, etc. again?

Edited by Socrates

[quote name='carrdero' post='1278068' date='May 20 2007, 01:01 PM']Actually this most powerful instrument would be our minds.[/quote]

nope

I got it right

[quote name='journeyman' post='1278186' date='May 20 2007, 06:30 PM']The Rosary is all about the Gospel, it's all about Jesus.[/quote]
Amen.

When I first became Catholic I had trouble praying the rosary ... really took me a long time to get comfortable mentally with it. But I had a couple of really powerful experiences that helped me with it, and now I carry mine with me everywhere and pray it when I can.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1278333' date='May 21 2007, 05:43 AM']Amen.

When I first became Catholic I had trouble praying the rosary ... really took me a long time to get comfortable mentally with it. But I had a couple of really powerful experiences that helped me with it, and now I carry mine with me everywhere and pray it when I can.[/quote]

I was the same way! Even though I'd been exposed to the Rosary a lot (would listen to it or even say it with my cousins growing up), when I converted it took me a little while to truly see the beauty in it. But now, I can't imagine not praying it! It focuses me so much, and the mysteries are so beautiful! :love:

Ragamuffin

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1277926' date='May 19 2007, 11:58 PM']As a former Protestant, I can tell you that there's nothing more "vainly repetitious" than "Lord, I just praise you," "Lord, I just thank you," Lord, I just ask you," "Lord, I just want to," "Lord, I just (fill in the blank)" over and over again. Thank God for beautiful Catholic meditations and prayers!

Likos[/quote]
As a current Protestant I can tell you that drives me nuts. If I had tapes of the Bible study groups I went to in college and we played a drinking game where we all take a swig when someone says "Lord" or "God" or "I just", we'd be passed out in three minutes.

I wonder what God thinks when we talk to Him that way? What would my mom think if I said, "Mom, how are you doing Mom? Mom? I love you so much, Mom. I just wanted to tell you, Mom, that you are an awesome Mom."

You don't have to be Catholic or even "high church" to appreciate beautifully written prayers.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Ragamuffin' post='1278337' date='May 21 2007, 05:57 AM']As a current Protestant I can tell you that drives me nuts. If I had tapes of the Bible study groups I went to in college and we played a drinking game where we all take a swig when someone says "Lord" or "God" or "I just", we'd be passed out in three minutes.

I wonder what God thinks when we talk to Him that way? What would my mom think if I said, "Mom, how are you doing Mom? Mom? I love you so much, Mom. I just wanted to tell you, Mom, that you are an awesome Mom."

You don't have to be Catholic or even "high church" to appreciate beautifully written prayers.[/quote]

Good point. That always drove me crazy, too. It took me a little while for the written prayers (I was Southern Baptist, after all), but they are beautiful.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1278336' date='May 20 2007, 11:55 PM']I was the same way! Even though I'd been exposed to the Rosary a lot (would listen to it or even say it with my cousins growing up), when I converted it took me a little while to truly see the beauty in it. But now, I can't imagine not praying it! It focuses me so much, and the mysteries are so beautiful! :love:[/quote]
I totally agree ... the first few times I tried it I was like, "Well, guess I should give this a go," and for a while nothing all that great happened. But then there was a time when it really clicked. Although not every rosary I pray is a WOW experience I now see it as a wonderful prayer and meditative tool. If prayer were like music, I see the rosary as being the bass notes that provide the rhythm and shape of my prayer, and my intentions and meditations are the melody building on that foundation.

[quote name='Ragamuffin' post='1278337' date='May 20 2007, 11:57 PM']As a current Protestant I can tell you that drives me nuts. If I had tapes of the Bible study groups I went to in college and we played a drinking game where we all take a swig when someone says "Lord" or "God" or "I just", we'd be passed out in three minutes.

You don't have to be Catholic or even "high church" to appreciate beautifully written prayers.[/quote]
Oh, that totally used to drive me nuts. I used to absolutely dread group prayers for that reason.

Edited by Terra Firma

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1278349' date='May 21 2007, 06:16 AM']If prayer were like music, I see the rosary as being the bass notes that provide the rhythm and shape of my prayer, and my intentions and meditations build are the melody building on that foundation.[/quote]

That is a great illustration!

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1278289' date='May 20 2007, 09:07 PM']Sort of need a will and a mind to pray the rosary though...[/quote]

You sort of need a will and a mind to play guitar, organ, sousaphone, etc.

But no one would say that the greatest instrument of music is the mind.

"What's the greatest cooking tool?"

"the mind"

"What's the greatest car for getting around?"

"the mind"

"What's the greatest hair conditioner?"

"the mind"

Unowned

[quote name='mortify' post='1278616' date='May 21 2007, 12:32 PM']Hey hot stuff, ownage was referring to Godchaser, not you bro.

God bless[/quote]

LOL

Thanks for the clarification!!

Godchaser..your writing is in [color="#FF0000"]red.[/color]

[color="#FF0000"]
First, I want to re-introduce a definition to describe what I am talking about -

Theology. the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God.[/color]

Where did you get that from? Seriously..

[color="#FF0000"]Thou shalt have no other gods before Me! When I first came into the simplicity of following Jesus Christ, I heard this said. If you sacrifice time with God to spend time with a girl, your girlfriend is a god before Jesus Christ. If you don't want to give thithes and offerings to God, than money is a god before Jesus Christ. If you're more willing to spend time gardening than in prayer, than gardening is god befre Jesus Christ![/color]

the flaw in fundamentalism is that it does not make sense. in reading this board you are putting a God above God. In thinking about a response you are putting your will and desire to talk to me above God. In sleeping, in pooping, in eating, in exercise, in work. See the problem?