An Old School Catholic Message Board

Your Thoughts On Praying The Rosary, To Mary, And Other Saints

GodChaser

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1278694' date='May 21 2007, 04:50 PM']God doesn't want me to mushy mud pie anymore?

:pinch:[/quote]

oh noooooooooess

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1278349' date='May 21 2007, 02:16 AM']I totally agree ... the first few times I tried it I was like, "Well, guess I should give this a go," and for a while nothing all that great happened. But then there was a time when it really clicked. Although not every rosary I pray is a WOW experience I now see it as a wonderful prayer and meditative tool. If prayer were like music, I see the rosary as being the bass notes that provide the rhythm and shape of my prayer, and my intentions and meditations are the melody building on that foundation.
Oh, that totally used to drive me nuts. I used to absolutely dread group prayers for that reason.[/quote]

Yeah, I see what you're saying. The Rosary is the rhythm and bass section, the Tenors are the intentions and the altos sopranos are the meditation... Sometimes... I get it going in Fugue :hehe:

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1278436' date='May 21 2007, 10:53 AM']You sort of need a will and a mind to play guitar, organ, sousaphone, etc.

But no one would say that the greatest instrument of music is the mind.

"What's the greatest cooking tool?"

"the mind"

"What's the greatest car for getting around?"

"the mind"

"What's the greatest hair conditioner?"

"the mind"
Unowned[/quote]

Hardly... That was pure pwnage...

[quote name='mortify' post='1278616' date='May 21 2007, 03:32 PM']Hey hot stuff, ownage was referring to Godchaser, not you bro.

God bless[/quote]
.... doh! That wasn't me? Gah. too bad. Made me laugh for a while. Never pwn'd the hot stuff before. Oh well.

Katholikos

God Chaser,

If your reason for returning to phatmass was to see how offensive and insulting to Catholics you could be, you are over the top.

[size=3][font="Arial Black"][b][i]The title of this thread creeps me out!
[/i] [/b] [/font][/size]

Likos.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1278742' date='May 21 2007, 05:24 PM']Yeah, I see what you're saying. The Rosary is the rhythm and bass section, the Tenors are the intentions and the altos sopranos are the meditation... Sometimes... I get it going in Fugue :hehe:
Hardly... That was pure pwnage...
.... doh! That wasn't me? Gah. too bad. Made me laugh for a while. Never pwn'd the hot stuff before. Oh well.[/quote]

you crack me up dude!!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1278804' date='May 22 2007, 09:34 AM']you crack me up dude!![/quote]

hot stuff - I just love your signature quotes - too great!

As for the rosary -- that is how Mary pulled me to God. I was raised by parents who didn't believe in God but our neighbors were Catholics who prayed the rosary every night - I would sneak next door to pray it with them. I converted 30 years ago and am entering a convent in two months -- Mary brought me to Her Son - fact!

Wow! That is amazing!!!! Totally!!!! I can't get over the fact you just snuck out and prayed it behind your folks' backs! God Bless you!

You guys are funny! He does this all the time! You see,here is a guy who just needs confession and some prayers from our older brothers and sisters that have gone before us! Now really.....You need to, for once read very carefully, what we are trying to tell you, mark! In your head, try not to keep thinking of re-buttles to every question you feel you have every answer for! If you really want to know Christ,you will listen closely in prayer. Truly thinking about all the answers we have giving you,and weigh very carefully why you think it is millions of people are falling in love each day with the church that Christ has given to us! .............. he holds you in his hands! JC

Edited by jckinsman

Katholikos

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1278780' date='May 21 2007, 09:12 PM']I fail to see the offense, Likos.

SMM[/quote]

Here's the title of the thread:

[b]Your Thoughts On Praying The Rosary, To Mary, And Other Saints, That stuff just creeps me out, I will not do that stuff![/b]

"that stuff just creeps me out" -- referring to prayers to the BVM, the saints, and the rosary -- is disrespectful. If God Chaser really wanted an answer to his question (which I doubt) he could have asked the question without the insults. He could have put a period after "Saints" and spared us his commentary. I don't like it when my Mama is disrespected.

Likos

I think something I take offense to sometimes in Phatmass is the crudeness of thread titles. I don't know if mods can change them, but some of them are downright awful.

This thread is one, and the "Folk Magician" thread is another. It seems like people can get away with putting whatever title they want on a thread even if it is offensive to Catholics.

my .02.

Sorry. :hijack: Return to thread.

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='GodChaser' post='1277642' date='May 19 2007, 02:08 PM']Lets talk about praying to the Saints and Mary!

<snip>

And looking at the definition above, asking a saint or mary to pray for you is putting prayer time that should go to God to someone other than God. You put them before God! Well that's one commandment broken by well meaning Catholics who love God.

<snip>[/quote]

Three words: Communion of Saints.

If you believe that those who have gone before us in faith are alive with God, then there is no difference between asking them to pray for you or asking your mother to pray for you. No one "prays to" the saints -- we pray [i]with[/i] the saints in our intercessions and petitions.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1279215' date='May 22 2007, 03:36 PM']Three words: Communion of Saints.

If you believe that those who have gone before us in faith are alive with God, then there is no difference between asking them to pray for you or asking your mother to pray for you. No one "prays to" the saints -- we pray [i]with[/i] the saints in our intercessions and petitions.[/quote]
Though you must admit, Catholics are [i]very[/i] sloppy with their language in this regard...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1279285' date='May 22 2007, 03:40 PM']Though you must admit, Catholics are [i]very[/i] sloppy with their language in this regard...[/quote]

But we do pray TO saints. The definitions of pray are:

1 : ENTREAT, IMPLORE -- often used as a function word in introducing a question, request, or plea <pray be careful>
2 : to get or bring by praying
intransitive verb
1 : to make a request in a humble manner
2 : to address God or a god with adoration, confession, supplication, or thanksgiving

The we pray to Saints would fit the first and thrid definitions.