An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope Restoring Vatican's Muslim Office

kenrockthefirst

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1284457' date='May 30 2007, 02:19 PM']But here's the point: you have to go back to The Inquisition as an example of Catholic violence, 400-500 years ago, or to the Crusades, almost 1,000 years. When was the last suicide attack? This afternoon?[/quote] That doesn't matter, if the Roman Catholic Church was under attack in this very moment, you can't honestly tell me that people wouldn't take the crusades again, and partake in violence. Muslims in the middle east, see the war in Iraq, etc. as an attack on Islam, therefore some of them fight as such. I think it's more intelligent to notice the vast amount of Muslims that haven't taken to violence, despite feeling that the west is attacking Islam. During the Roman Catholic Crusades, it wasn't just a few crusaders, but a mass amount of them, but in Iraq, the majority [thou disagree with the US occupation and see it as an attack on Islam] aren't taking to suicide attacks, etc.

[quote name='chelsea' post='1284513' date='May 30 2007, 03:37 PM']You cannot characterize a religion by the few people who do such things. While yes, there are Muslims who are violent and carry on these attacks, the entire Islamic faith isnt like that.[/quote]

Point taken! Roman Catholics don't want it's religion judged upon the crusades and child molesting priests, but rather the doctrines of their church, so should Islam be judged according to it's doctrines.

[quote name='mortify' post='1284527' date='May 30 2007, 03:56 PM']Chelsea, the unfortunate reality is that Islam is intrinsically violent. Muslims who act out in violence only do so because their religion teaches that violence is a legitimate means of spreading religion.
Sacred Music Man, I'm talking about the present. The West is the most tolerant and accepting place in the world.[/quote]

No mortify, that's your interpretation and over stereotype. Rather then sitting her claiming this, why don't you open a new thread on the Qur'an and prove everyone wrong? Since you seem to claim to know their religion so well, seriously open a thread and let's debate it, Surah for Surah. Man, I'll start it for you.

Reza

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='chelsea' post='1284513' date='May 30 2007, 04:37 PM']You cannot characterize a religion by the few people who do such things. While yes, there are Muslims who are violent and carry on these attacks, the entire Islamic faith isnt like that.[/quote]

Yes, that's what the conventional wisdom says. But where are the "moderate" Muslims denouncing the use of suicide attacks? Why is it that the Saudi flag features two crossed swords?

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1284644' date='May 30 2007, 07:20 PM']Actually much of Judaism is also manmade, research the Talmud and you'll find that out.[/quote]

Yes, you're right, [i]modern[/i] Judaism is man-made. For the purpose of clarity, I meant Old Covenant Judaism.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1284648' date='May 30 2007, 07:26 PM']That doesn't matter, if the Roman Catholic Church was under attack in this very moment, you can't honestly tell me that people wouldn't take the crusades again, and partake in violence. Muslims in the middle east, see the war in Iraq, etc. as an attack on Islam, therefore some of them fight as such. I think it's more intelligent to notice the vast amount of Muslims that haven't taken to violence, despite feeling that the west is attacking Islam. During the Roman Catholic Crusades, it wasn't just a few crusaders, but a mass amount of them, but in Iraq, the majority [thou disagree with the US occupation and see it as an attack on Islam] aren't taking to suicide attacks, etc.[/quote]

The Catholic Church isn't under attack? How about Nigeria, or China, or Iraq, or the Palestinian territories, or any majority Muslim country for that matter?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='kenrockthefirst' post='1285755' date='Jun 1 2007, 07:23 AM']Yes, that's what the conventional wisdom says. But where are the "moderate" Muslims denouncing the use of suicide attacks? Why is it that the Saudi flag features two crossed swords?[/quote]

There are a vast amount of moderate Muslims denouncing the suicide attacks, they just don't get that much media coverage in our countries. Are you aware of FreeMuslims.org? What about the Harper Colins Author Asma Hasan [www.asmahasan.com]? You should read Asma's book, "the American Muslims" and particularly "Why I Am A Muslim", her history goes back further then Gangas Khan and she gives a very historical and clear perspective of the religion, and a bit of her own history of being raised in a Roman Catholic Private School. What about the Grammy Award Winning Islamic Pop Artist Ani [www.a-n-i.net]?

[quote]Yes, you're right, [i]modern[/i] Judaism is man-made. For the purpose of clarity, I meant Old Covenant Judaism.
The Catholic Church isn't under attack? How about Nigeria, or China, or Iraq, or the Palestinian territories, or any majority Muslim country for that matter?[/quote]

That's the thing, there isn't any Jews that follow the Old Covenant pre-council of Jamnia, etc. Even the most Orthodox of Jews today follow the Talmud, which came after Jesus's Crucifixion/Resurrection.

In regards to the Roman Catholic Church being under attack, I wouldn't nessessarily call that "under attack", and for clerification, in Palestine it's the Secular Jewish Country that's oppressing the Church, Hamas even used their forces to prevent the Christian Churches from being burnt by Fateh a year or so ago.

Reza

Guest T-Bone

[quote name='chelsea' post='1283932' date='May 29 2007, 08:30 PM']is there a reason he shouldnt?[/quote]

My point exactly.

CatholicCid

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1286049' date='Jun 1 2007, 05:41 PM']In regards to the Roman Catholic Church being under attack, I wouldn't nessessarily call that "under attack", and for clerification, in Palestine it's the Secular Jewish Country that's oppressing the Church, Hamas even used their forces to prevent the Christian Churches from being burnt by Fateh a year or so ago.

Reza[/quote]

For clarification, how would the China situation with the Catholic Church not classify as being 'under attack'? One would think that would be a prime example of the Church being under attack today.

Were not the forces used to prevent Christian churches from being burned partially there to prevent other Muslim groups from burning churches? I might be thinking of a different situation. I remember reading about local Muslims who kept vigils outside guarding churches after the rash of firebombings due to the misrepresentation of the Pope's comments in his speech regarding Islam and violence.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1286173' date='Jun 1 2007, 08:11 PM']For clarification, how would the China situation with the Catholic Church not classify as being 'under attack'? One would think that would be a prime example of the Church being under attack today.[/quote] That might be a better example, but it's not a religious war, so much as a political war and it's not under attack in the same sense as how Muslims see Islam under attack, as China is suppressing not just Roman Catholics but Orthodox, Protestants, and I think Muslims too.

[quote]Were not the forces used to prevent Christian churches from being burned partially there to prevent other Muslim groups from burning churches? I might be thinking of a different situation.[/quote]Fateh has some Muslims in it, but it's not a Muslim organization, as Mahmoud Abbas isn't a Muslim.

[quote]I remember reading about local Muslims who kept vigils outside guarding churches after the rash of firebombings due to the misrepresentation of the Pope's comments in his speech regarding Islam and violence.[/quote]

I wouldn't doubt it. I believe that the Roman Pope's words were greatly misinterpreted to a great degree, and that he isn't perfect, so he didn't appear to be perfect in light of those attempting to slay him in the world.

CatholicCid

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1286182' date='Jun 1 2007, 09:17 PM']That might be a better example, but it's not a religious war, so much as a political war and it's not under attack in the same sense as how Muslims see Islam under attack, as China is suppressing not just Roman Catholics but Orthodox, Protestants, and I think Muslims too.

[color="#FF0000"]I'm afraid I don't understand the difference. Could you explain what you mean by 'how Muslims see Islam under attack'? Would it be like how all religions, excluding Islam, are 'under attack' in Saudi Arabia?[/color]

Fateh has some Muslims in it, but it's not a Muslim organization, as Mahmoud Abbas isn't a Muslim.
I wouldn't doubt it. I believe that the Roman Pope's words were greatly misinterpreted to a great degree, and that he isn't perfect, so he didn't appear to be perfect in light of those attempting to slay him in the world.[/quote]
Yes, then I'm thinking of something else.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote]I'm afraid I don't understand the difference. Could you explain what you mean by 'how Muslims see Islam under attack'? Would it be like how all religions, excluding Islam, are 'under attack' in Saudi Arabia?[/quote] It's quite different because Saudi Arabia is Muslim land, and they are outward about their agenda. In the situation of Iraq thou, it's primarily Muslim land being occupied by, what most Iraqis see as, a Christian Nation. Therefore it's Islam VS Christianity. Sadly thou, this is just the tip of the Ice Burg, compared to the situation in Palestine. Palestinians see Isreal as a Secular Nation supported by the United States, a Christian Nation. Palestinians know that Isreal is getting their funding [which results in their oppression] from the United States.

Therefore, when little 6 year old Palestinian boys are shot dead, it's seen as Christianity/Jewdaism killing Muslims [VS Islam]. Most people don't see the whole picture, in which Palestinians are assaulted. Maysoon Zayid is one of my favorite stand up commedians, and she has cerebral palsy, she's from the Gaza Strip, Palestine. She makes it a point to go back for 3 months out of the year. Once upon going through a checkpoint, because she is Palestinian she was detained, she was strip searched, and was on her period [sorry for the vulgarity]. After being searched, because of her disability [she was even in a wheel chair], she couldn't get herself dressed and the guards [some women] wouldn't help her get dressed, even worse, they confinscated her maxi-pad and wouldn't give her another, they also wouldn't let her go buy more and wouldn't let her have her bag that had more. They forced her to get on the plain, in a wheelchair bleeding all over herself for the sake of humiliation. As bad as that sounds, some Muslim women go through that frequently. Now some Muslim women are very sensetive about their modesty, but after having their dignity and honor stripped from them like this, image what they are feeling in their heads? Imagine what a father is feelinig after his daughter has to go through this? Probably ain't very "loving" if you know what I mean, and I don't blame them for wanting to kill each and everyone of those bastards.

Now it's sad because alot of Muslims see Christianity as doing this, and that's sad because I know that Christianity isn't doing that, that politics are doing it. It's situations like those that cause Muslims to seek guidence and amnesty from groups like Hezbollah. People want to talk about oppression, this is the worst form of oppression, and it's sickening.

Reza

CatholicCid

I still don't get how it would be different. As you said, it seems to not be 'a religious war, so much as a political war', and what you just said seemed more political to me.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1286416' date='Jun 1 2007, 10:23 PM']I still don't get how it would be different. As you said, it seems to not be 'a religious war, so much as a political war', and what you just said seemed more political to me.[/quote]

It is a political war but when things like this happen to Muslims it turns into a war on Islam to some degree.

CatholicCid

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1286441' date='Jun 2 2007, 12:37 AM']It is a political war but when things like this happen to Muslims it turns into a war on Islam to some degree.[/quote]

So, they are not 'under attack' in the actual sense, but prefer to look at that they are? Kind of a rose-tinted glasses point of view then.
Why do you think they would do this though?

Edited by CatholicCid

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1286456' date='Jun 2 2007, 12:58 AM']So, they are not 'under attack' in the actual sense, but prefer to look at that they are? Kind of a rose-tinted glasses point of view then.
Why do you think they would do this though?[/quote]

Personally, no I don't think Islam is under attack but it's politics. I don't think that every Muslim that believes this is a war on Islam nessessarily "prefers" to see it like this, they just do because it appears that way to them. This is kinda getting into anthropology now but I definately think that has to do with it. The mentality between the East and in the West in terms of a way of thinking is quite different, and alot of these Muslims that believe and percieve this as a war on Islam, don't have access to the internet and television, so it's based upon what is seen right infront of them.

Reza