Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smoking.. Is It Gross Or Cool?


Recommended Posts

Posted

If you could only hear me clap Pedro! :P

Posted

Please don't take any offense by this, but when I hear someone say they smoke because it looks cool, it says to me that they are either a) ignorant, b) vain, or c) just disconcerned with their physical well-being. It really gives me a bad impression of the person.

But I love you anyway hyper! *hugs* ^_^

-Mark

that's kinda what i think

Posted

I'm very confused by this thread... Isn't there something morally wrong with smoking? You're causing yourself bodily harm! How can anyone trivialize such a matter? Or maybe I'm just being a prude.

-Mark

Posted

Its definately wrong and I wish i could quit, I actually quit for long periods and some how pick it up again.

Posted

Geetar Player,

Do you drink Milk? Unless its organic, it has Bovine Growth Hormone in it, which seriously messes you up. Do you eat deep fried food? Fat at high temperatures is a carcinogen. Do you ever microwave something with plastic wrap? When condensation forms on the wrap and drips back onto the food it takes with it cancer causing agents. Look I don't promote smoking usually, but I certainly don't make any apologies for it either. You don't like it? Fine, don't do it. However, until you don't willingly take any health risks, don't knock my smoking either.

peace...

hyperdulia again
Posted

I wish we could exorcise every single Protestant Puritanism from our minds...if you smoke to get cancer...you are sinning...otherwise you are dumb.

Posted

Smoking . . . cussing . . . drinking . . . the three Cardinal sins of Puritanical Protestantism . . .

May our Lady, Exterminatrix of Heresies, destroy the Puritanical idiocy from our midst!

Posted

I come from a family of smokers on both sides, but I don't smoke. I suppose it has something to do with growing up with friends that don't and everyone always telling me it was bad (cigarette in hand).

I look at it like this: we are all fallen and struggle with our won "thorns in our sides."

However, nicotine cravings come from a physical dependency and sometimes that physical dependency distracts us from God, making us miss the mark (ie sin).

So smoking is a sin. I don't say this to judge, only for clarifications, because God knows I am a sinnner and I won't deny that they are sins, sins I struggle with.

Posted

I guess I also have to admit that I constantly entain the thought of smoking a pipe...if I could find something to smoke that smells good and doesn't kill me, I would buy a pipe and lesurely(sp) smoke

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

I guess I also have to admit that I constantly entain the thought of smoking a pipe...if I could find something to smoke that smells good and doesn't kill me, I would buy a pipe and lesurely(sp) smoke

I have some good whiskey flavoured tobacco. I've gone weeks without smoking it, but since I've quit cigarettes I've been smoking it once or twice a day. I smoke inside my house (I'd do cigs outside) because it smells really good! But I think pipe tobacco is still bad for you. It doesn't cause lung cancer, emphyzema(sp?), or throat cancer, it actually doesn't effect your lungs at all and that's the big thing with cigs. It's still tobacco though so if you smoke it a lot over a long period it will stain your teeth and can cause mouth cancer (same with cigars and chewing tobacco). But in moderation it's just a fun thing in my opinion. And the pipe is not crazy addictive like cigarettes because you only get a little bit of nicotine from it.

I think it's soothing to relax with a good smelling pipe, I like making smoke rings and stuff. Heck, if Gandalf does it it can't be that bad.

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

Heck, if Gandalf does it it can't be that bad.

I realize this isn't the best argument in the world, but seriously, plenty of respectable gentlemen smoke an occassional pipe. I know a very holy man who is into the craft of making fine handmade pipes. I wonder if any saints have smoked pipes? Ah! Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassatti smoked a pipe, I've seen a picture of it.

Posted

Smoking . . . cussing . . . drinking . . . the three Cardinal sins of Puritanical Protestantism . . .

May our Lady, Exterminatrix of Heresies, destroy the Puritanical idiocy from our midst!

That straightens things out for me! I'll think of that next time I light up a ceegar! :D

Posted

people who smoke make me wanna hurl something at them :punch:

Posted

I dunno but during March for Life I saw about 4 or 5 kids, about my age smoking cigs. After they'd finish, they'd smoke another one. One kid behind him was inhaling a pipe breath after breath, probably for the sake of being "cool". Smokings not for me but for you? Hey, free country.

Posted

i think women should start too...end the male domination of the cigar.

There is a city near my town called Ybor. Thousands of Cubans came there a century or so back and they're like a top producer of tabako and alchohol. Many women back then and now smoke cigars there.

I don't know, I just don't think smoking is attractive. :huh:

Posted

In response to the questions of whether smoking is immoral/a sin, let me throw what the Catechism says.

CCC 2290: "The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine".

Laudate_Dominum
Posted

In response to the questions of whether smoking is immoral/a sin, let me throw what the Catechism says.

CCC 2290: "The virtue of temperance disposes us to avoid every kind of excess: the abuse of food, alcohol, tobacco, or medicine".

Dang! Hmm... Since it says "excess" and "abuse" I suppose my theory that smoking an occassional pipe is ok still stands.

Thanks Norseman!

Posted

Whenever someone's smoking around my girlfriend, I start coughing really really loud because she's allergic to tobacco smoke. They usually put it out or go somewhere else.

-Mark

Posted

Title:

Smoking: Is it gross or cool

Gross.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...