An Old School Catholic Message Board

One True Church

reyb

[quote name='Giolla' post='1730263' date='Dec 17 2008, 09:53 AM']Hold up. When did Moses see Jesus?[/quote]
[indent]Moses see Jesus in the Burning Bush. [/indent]

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1731473' date='Dec 18 2008, 05:18 PM']Actually I thought it was an Angel in the Bush delivering God's words?[/quote]
[indent]Okay. so who is that angel?[/indent]

[quote name='reyb' post='1731869' date='Dec 19 2008, 04:48 AM'][indent]Okay. so who is that angel?[/indent][/quote]
[indent]What did he say? I mean the one in the Bush, Did he say 'So what?' :D [/indent]

Galloglasses' Alt

The Metatron, (I hope I spelled that right), its the angel that has been attributed to have carried God's words to man through the Old Testament.Bush said.

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1732282' date='Dec 19 2008, 10:05 PM']The Metatron, (I hope I spelled that right), its the angel that has been attributed to have carried God's words to man through the Old Testament.Bush said.[/quote]
[indent] :) Thank you for the info. I will look into it.
[/indent]

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1732282' date='Dec 19 2008, 09:05 PM']The Metatron, (I hope I spelled that right), its the angel that has been attributed to have carried God's words to man through the Old Testament.Bush said.[/quote]

[indent]This is our subject verse:
[color="#FF0000"][indent]Ex 3:2-6
2 There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3 So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight — why the bush does not burn up."

4 When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!"

And Moses said, "Here I am."

5 "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." 6 Then[size=4][b] he [/b][/size]said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.
NIV[/indent]
-----------------------
[/color]In the above verse what is the angel (Metatron) of the Lord said to Moses (If there is any)? and Who is that '[size=4]he[/size]' [color="#FF0000"]who said 'I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob[/color]." ?

[/indent]

• 2 weeks later...

Dear All,

As most of us probably already know, the word 'angel' means 'messenger'.

The most common opinion in the Church on this (and 'opinion' is all it is - there is no defined Doctrine in the Church on whether it is God Himself or an angel representing him at first, --- is that it is God Himself appearing in the bush, OR, you can also believe that it is a created angel per se.

Here is the text from the foremost English language modern Scriptural Commentary;
'A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture, authorized by Bernard Cardinal Griffin of Great Britain. He asked 43 of the greatest English language Catholic Scripture scholars to assist in the task of writing the articles in the commentary. It's editorial board who had the last say in the article were men of the greatest rank as faithful Catholic Scriprure Scholars of the late 20th century. They are men whom the priests on the list will most surely recognize as some fo the very top men in their field - even serving on or consulting the Pontifical Biblical Commission in Rome.

It is the largest most indepth and Academically qualified Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture in the last few centuries.

The article on Exodus is written by Rev. Fr. E. Power, SJ, Doctor of Linguistics, Prof of Sacred Scripture at Milltown Park, Dublin, sometime Prof. of Archeology and Geography, Arabic and Suriac at the Pontifical Biblical Institute, Rome. Here are the salient passages being discussed here Ex 3: 2-6:

" The angel of Yahwey designates Yahwey as manifesting Himself ([i]cf[/i] Gen 16:7) or less probably an angel sent by Yahwey. The substitution of an angel for Yahwey as the leader of the people is a threatened punishment of sin (32:32; 33:3). God, being a pure spirit, releals Himself by fire as the least material of the elements (cf Gen 15:17). A thorn-bush attracts the attention of Moses by burning without being consumed. God speaks to him from it, ordering him to take off his shoes through reverence according to the Eastern custom and declaring Himself the God of his father, or Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob. Moses hides his face lest he should see God and die (cf Jg 13:22)."

So, as we can see, it is not a metter of Doctrine/Faith for a Catholic whether one views Ex 3:2-6 as representing God Himself representing Himself through the Son (as is commonly but not exclusively taught thoughout the history of the Church), or an angel sent by God. We as Catholics are free to believe either one. But we may not require anyone else to agree with our opinion - as the Church leaves us free to believe either way. But the predominant opinion is that it is God Himself [the Father speaking through His Son] who speaks to Moses from the Bush.

All my love in Christ

Desmond

[quote name='reyb' post='1733006' date='Dec 21 2008, 02:16 AM'][indent]This is our subject verse:
[color="#FF0000"][indent]Ex 3:2-6
2 There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in flames of fire from within a bush. Moses saw that though the bush was on fire it did not burn up. 3 So Moses thought, "I will go over and see this strange sight — why the bush does not burn up."

4 When the LORD saw that he had gone over to look, God called to him from within the bush, "Moses! Moses!"

And Moses said, "Here I am."

5 "Do not come any closer," God said. "Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." 6 Then[size=4][b] he [/b][/size]said, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob." At this, Moses hid his face, because he was afraid to look at God.
NIV[/indent]
-----------------------
[/color]In the above verse what is the angel (Metatron) of the Lord said to Moses (If there is any)? and Who is that '[size=4]he[/size]' [color="#FF0000"]who said 'I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob[/color]." ?

[/indent][/quote]

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Desmond' post='1742829' date='Jan 4 2009, 06:15 PM']Dear All,

[color="#0000FF"]So, as we can see, it is not a metter of Doctrine/Faith for a Catholic whether one views Ex 3:2-6 as representing God Himself representing Himself through the Son (as is commonly but not exclusively taught thoughout the history of the Church), or an angel sent by God. [b]We as Catholics are free to believe either one.[/b] But we may not require anyone else to agree with our opinion - as the Church leaves us free to believe either way. But the predominant opinion is that it is God Himself [the Father speaking through His Son] who speaks to Moses from the Bush.[/color]
All my love in Christ

Desmond[/quote]

[indent]Therefore, it is either thru an angel or thru His Son - and both of them are acceptable as true or correct (according to your Church)?.[/indent]