An Old School Catholic Message Board

One True Church

reyb

[indent]Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 811[/indent]
[indent][indent][color="#0000FF"]This is the sole Church of Christ, which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic and apostolic."256 These four characteristics, inseparably linked with each other,257 indicate essential features of the Church and her mission. The Church does not possess them of herself; it is Christ who, through the Holy Spirit, makes his Church one, holy, catholic, and apostolic, and it is he who calls her to realize each of these qualities[/color]. [/indent][/indent]

[indent][indent]Because of many different kinds of religion and even denomination within Christian religion, claiming this subject ‘One True Church’; May I ask;
When was the Roman Catholic Church started? How it was formed? Who started it? Where it was first organized? Is it true or just a belief as the only church? Is it biblical?[/indent][/indent]

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='reyb' post='1295060' date='Jun 14 2007, 04:24 AM'][indent]Catechism of the Catholic Church, paragraph 811[/indent]
[indent][indent][color="#0000FF"]This is the sole Church of Christ, which in the Creed we profess to be one, holy, catholic and apostolic."256 These four characteristics, inseparably linked with each other,257 indicate essential features of the Church and her mission. The Church does not possess them of herself; it is Christ who, through the Holy Spirit, makes his Church one, holy, catholic, and apostolic, and it is he who calls her to realize each of these qualities[/color]. [/indent][/indent]

[indent][indent]Because of many different kinds of religion and even denomination within Christian religion, claiming this subject ‘One True Church’; May I ask;
When was the Roman Catholic Church started? How it was formed? Who started it? Where it was first organized? Is it true or just a belief as the only church? Is it biblical?[/indent][/indent][/quote]

1. [i]When was the Catholic Church started?[/i] When Jesus said to Peter, "...you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld shall not prevail against it." (Matt. 16:18)
2. [i]How was it formed, who started it?[/i] Jesus.
3. [i]Where was it first organized?[/i] Amongst the disciples.
4. [i]Is it true, is it biblical?[/i] Let me ask you this: what other Church was there before the Catholic Church?

[quote name='reyb' post='1295125' date='Jun 14 2007, 11:25 AM'][indent]The Church of the Jews?[/indent][/quote]

Jesus was the Messiah, therefore fulfilling the Jewish religion, becoming the Christ. He formed the Catholic church from the Jewish.

Someone, please explain this better. I know what I mean but I'm not using the right words.

[quote name='reyb' post='1295060' date='Jun 14 2007, 05:24 AM']Because of many different kinds of religion and even denomination within Christian religion, claiming this subject ‘One True Church’; May I ask;
When was the Roman Catholic Church started? How it was formed? Who started it? Where it was first organized?[/quote]

The Universal (Catholic) Church was founded in 33 A,D. when Jesus Christ said to St. Peter, "You are Kepha (Greek for Rock; in English, Peter) and on this kepha (rock) I will build my Church, and the powers of death [RSV] gates of hell [KJV] shall not prevail against it" Mt 16:18.

Jesus promised the Apostles (the leaders of the Church) that He would send the Holy Spirit to remind them of all He had taught them, to lead them to all truth, and to be with them forever (John 14:16-18, 14:26, 15:26, 16:1-5; Acts 1:1-2; et al.).

Jesus Himself promised that He would be with the Church "till the end of the world" Mt 28:20 KJV.

The birthday of the Church is the day of Pentecost, 33 A.D., in Jerusalem, when the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles in the Upper Room, empowering them to do all that Jesus had taught and commanded. "About three thousand were added [to the Church] that day" as they responded to St. Peter's preaching (Acts 2:41).

[quote]Is it true or just a belief as the only church?[/quote]There was one unified Church until the end of the fifth century when the Oriental Orthodox went into schism. The rest of the Church remained united until the eleventh century, when the Eastern Orthodox joined in the schism.

A member of the Coptic Orthodox Church posts at phatmass, and he claims HIS is the true Church. The Catholic Church considers all the Orthodox Churches as sisters. They were indeed founded by the Apostles and were once part of the ancient, undivided Church. We pray that they will again be unitied with us under the umbrella of Peter and with each other.

According to the Scriptures and the Church Fathers, the Church is where Peter and his successors are.

[quote]Is it biblical?[/quote]

The Catholic Church canonized twenty-seven of her own writings as Scripture, together with the writings the Church inherited from Jesus and the Apostles, when she was nearly 400 years old. So the Church is much older than the NT and the Bible as we know it. The Bible is a product of the Church, acting as the Agent of the Holy Spirit. Not everything God revealed to man about Himself or His plan for salvation is written in the Scriptures. There are two sources of Divine Revelation: sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

Thank you for your questions. I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will reply.

Recommended reading:

The Church Fathers. A good introduction is [i]Four Witnesses, The Early Church in Her Own Words,[/i] by Rod Bennett (Ignatius Press).

[i]The History of Christendom[/i] in six volumes by Dr. Warren H. Carroll (Christendom Press).

Likos

Kirisutodo333

I always find it fascinating when people ask for a Biblical passage supporting the Catholic church. I would like to remind you people that the Bible itself was put together by the early Apostolic Fathers...who belonged to the Catholic Church!

The actual term "Catholic" or "Katholikos" is traced back to St. Ignatius of Antioch:

[i][b]Wherever the bishop appears, there let the people be; as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful to baptize or give communion without the consent of the bishop. On the other hand, whatever has his approval is pleasing to God. Thus, whatever is done will be safe and valid. — Letter to the Smyrnaeans 8.[/b][/i]

From here we can see a hint of the workings of a structured Catholic hierarchy, which scholars believed to have already been formed before St. Ignatius' letter.

[indent]Meaning, after the Church of the Jews, Roman Catholic Church was formed. Thank you and I will read the Catechism about this as well as the Holy Scripture.[/indent]
[indent]By the way, how do they address the Church of the Jews? I mean, in christianity they call it church but during the time of the Jews- how do they call it?[/indent]

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='reyb' post='1295159' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:46 AM']By the way, how do they address the Church of the Jews? I mean, in Christianity they call it church but during the time of the Jews- how do they call it?[/quote]

Israel.

[quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1295158' date='Jun 14 2007, 10:45 AM']I always find it fascinating when people ask for a Biblical passage supporting the Catholic church. [b]I would like to remind you people that the Bible itself was put together by the early Apostolic Fathers..[/b].who belonged to the Catholic Church!

The actual term "Catholic" or "Katholikos" is traced back to St. Ignatius of Antioch:

[i][b]Wherever the bishop appears, there let the people be; as wherever Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church. It is not lawful to baptize or give communion without the consent of the bishop. On the other hand, whatever has his approval is pleasing to God. Thus, whatever is done will be safe and valid. — Letter to the Smyrnaeans 8.[/b][/i]

From here we can see a hint of the workings of a structured Catholic hierarchy, which scholars believed to have already been formed before St. Ignatius' letter.[/quote]
------------------
[indent]who formed it? [/indent]. Ok I will search for it.
[indent]Why then only during the time of St. Ignatius of Antioch that the church member was called catholic? [/indent]

[indent][quote name='Kirisutodo333' post='1295158' date='Jun 14 2007, 10:45 AM'][b]I always find it fascinating when people ask for a Biblical passage supporting the Catholic church. I would like to remind you people that the Bible itself was put together by the early Apostolic Fathers...who belonged to the Catholic Church![/b][[/quote][/indent]

[indent]Well, because many believers accept the holy scriptures as word of God - including me.[/indent]

kenrockthefirst

[quote name='reyb' post='1295165' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:57 AM']who formed it?[/quote]

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1295155' date='Jun 14 2007, 09:44 AM']The Universal (Catholic) Church was founded in 33 A,D. when Jesus Christ said to St. Peter, "You are Kepha (Greek for Rock; in English, Peter) and on this kepha (rock) I will build my Church, and the powers of death [RSV] gates of hell [KJV] shall not prevail against it" Mt 16:18.

The birthday of the Church is the day of Pentecost, 33 A.D., in Jerusalem, when the Holy Spirit descended upon the Apostles in the Upper Room, empowering them to do all that Jesus had taught and commanded. "About three thousand were added [to the Church] that day" as they responded to St. Peter's preaching (Acts 2:41).[/quote]

Kirisutodo333

[quote name='reyb' post='1295181' date='Jun 14 2007, 12:11 PM'][indent][/indent]

[indent]Well, because many believers accept the holy scriptures as word of God - including me.[/indent][/quote]

The Word is critical. The Word is eternal. The Word is of utmost importance. But the Way is more than the Word. Unlike the Word, the Way shares more than just revelation. It shares tradition. It shares the personal, spiritual connection to God. God's church is built upon the Way. Learn to see outside of the Bible. God exists inside the Bible, but most importantly, he also exists outside of it. To be part of the Catholic Church (Way + Word/Scripture + Tradition) is to truly know God. Jesus built his Church outside of the Bible. And his Word has been captured inside. Don't focus too much on the inside, or you will miss, as Bruce Lee once put it..."all that Heavenly Glory."

thessalonian

[quote name='reyb' post='1295181' date='Jun 14 2007, 11:11 AM'][indent][/indent]

[indent]Well, because many believers accept the holy scriptures as word of God - including me.[/indent][/quote]

Hi reyb,

Welcome. I think in coming here you have to understand that we look at things differently than you and therefore when you read something it may not say what you think it does. Case in point, your reply to kiris does not address the issue he raises. We fully and completely hold scripture as the Word of God. But one must have the correct understanding, i.e. interpretatoin of it, not just the scriptures, to actually have the word of God. For instance there is a passage in Corinthians that speaks of baptizing the dead. Paul basically says why would they baptize the dead if Christ had not been raised. Now one could use this passage to justify the practice of baptizing the dead. But only the Mormons as far as I know do such a thing, because they have an incorrect understanding of the passage. You don't baptize the dead do you? So the point is that there are understandings that go along with scripture, carried throughout the ages in the Church, that are called sacred oral tradition. Paul says in 2 thes 2:15 "Hold fast to the TRADITIONS which you have recieved, whether BY WORD OF MOUTH or in writing from us.". Note that scripture itself is a tradition. But also Paul gives authority to these oral teachings that go along with scripture. In 2 Tim 2:2 he directs a passing along of teachings from one to another, not just in writing but also by word of mouth by the faithful witness of the Church. Tell me, what do you think is the pillar and support of the truth?

If scripture stood on it's own, there would not be thousands if not tens of thousands of Churches that proclaim Sola Scriptura, contradicting eachother. Nowhere in scripture does it say scripture alone! If it does please show me where. Once again we hold scripture very high and consider it the Word of God.

God bless

thessalonian

As for your question, regarding who started the Catholic Church, we know who started the Lutheran Church, the Presbyterian Church, the Baptist Church, Islam, Mormonism, JW's, etc. etc.. Oddly enough noone has a good answer for who started the Catholic Church, at least one that holds water if history is studied, except Jesus through his apostles. Interestingly the only other religion that cannot claim an author other than God is Judaism. Interesting, isn't it.