abercius24 Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 This topic is set to discuss what Catholic music is, what good and bad experiences we all have with Catholic music, and where Catholic music should go from here. I'm particularly interested in everyone helping Catholic musicians define their own identities and group objectives, but also to help audiences see what possibilites may lie ahead for us to support. Try to keep criticisms as polite as possible without loosing your meaning (unitive language instead of divisive language). Please take the polls, too! Alright, now let's have at it!
RezaMikhaeil Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 Thou I'm not Roman Catholic, I participated anyways because it equally applies to Orthodox. I don't believe that we should "move away" from any musical forms. That hymns are equally [and for liturgical reasons] vitally important still but that we should also encourage other genres outside of Church. Statistically over 75% of all music played on the radios worldwide is Hiphop, and it's obviously the most popular musical genre in the world. Hiphop artists gross the most revenues, push the most records, etc. Therefore if that particular genre does the best financially, then obviously that is the genre that should be pushed. I'd also like to see [thou I didn't vote for it] some more "contemporary praise and worship" music. I don't like it myself [infact I can't stand it] but it's controlled at the moment by these "word of faith / prosperity doctrine" protestant charismatic christians and I'd like there to be some sanity injected in there. Reza
misereremi Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 Oh my days, this is an interesting discussion! A topic that I think about almost daily. I voted "other" in the first and second questions- because I don't believe it's so much one particular music genre that we should be moving towards or away from, but a greater effort to bring out orthodox Catholic messages in all these genres (if they are lyrics-based). I think within the Catholic community there should be more openness to experimentation with unpopular genres. Sometimes hip-hop or extreme metal musicians are put down by fellow Catholics because they are not "into" our music. Fairplay to that, but we should all be in this together, whatever the genre, whether you like it or not- we are all Catholics and we should try to support the Catholic music movement as a whole. I dislike chartsy pop music, but if a good Catholic got into the mainstream charts with a lyrically sound track, I would support it. I think we should be "all things to all men", and have a foothold in every kind of genre. By the way, this is all strictly OUTSIDE the mass, of course!!! I'd love to hear more[b] traditional [/b]hymns and [b]chant [/b]in mass and much much less of the hippie stuff. The younger generations want hard-core Catholicism, not wishy-washiness. Praise and worship music doesn't have to be cheesy or camp. In the Uk we have some young composers like E. Fawcett who are going in intersting directions with it. I did some collaborations with eletronika/drum&bass/garage instrumental collectives e.g. New Jerusalem Projekt which incorporated a lot of Gregorian chant. Our direction now is to get more into the [i]Eastern[/i] influences. I'm very much into Mozarabic chant. I think we can develop our own contemporary styles based on the ancient chants- just like there is modern Sufi music (which was taken from our chant ayways), we can and should have our own- and take pride in our own ancient music heritage. With hip-hop and metal I think we should be more explicitly and less subtley Catholic, in our lyrics and lifestyles. This doesn't mean every track has to be about the history of the Church, but it should aim to develop an orthodox Catholic youth culture. I admire a lot of the rappers on phatmass, esp Era Might, and the people in the unblack metal movement and other extreme metal musicians (go Didymus!) and so on, who are able to appeal to secular crowds while keeping strictly Catholic. My two pence.
misereremi Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 and I forgot to mention that it'd be nice to have our own reggae/ragga artists, too.
Franimus Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 ditto what misereremi said about most everything. ditto what reza said about not "moving away" from anything btw reza - check out matt maher, martin doman, and tom booth for contemporary catholic p&w, but i have no idea about who it's controlled by since i only hear p&w at steubenville anywho, there is an extreme shortage of Catholic and Christian rock. I mean good rock. There's plenty of a mix between p&w and soft rock, which i can't stand to listen to, but there's virtually no good-sounding rock. I'm not even talking hard rock, either, although that would be nice too. Just plain rock. I'd say Catholic music is that which [u]promotes[/u] a true Catholic lifestyle, and is written by a Catholic or maybe "nearly Catholic" artist. Good (in the moral sense) music is that which promotes a moral lifestyle (which is practically synonymous with a Catholic lifestyle) and is written by any artist. Acceptable music is that which does not promote an immoral lifestyle and is not offensive to the faith (or persons of the faith). As far as the Mass goes, I'd like to see a movement back towards traditional hymns. Technically, those are p&w too, but I don't like contemporary p&w at Mass. The reason I like hymns at Mass is that they are musically simple and thus focus on the lyrics. They promote praying through singing. Contemporary p&w is musically (not the lyrics) more focused on empowering people or making them feel good and is not as simple as hymns. The lyrics are often still prayerful, though, but it is not as easy to focus on them as a prayer (although I realize this may not be the case with others).
EJames Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 (edited) Good discussion on the best Liturgical website is below - All forms of music belong at Mass? posted by Jeffrey Tucker -opening article [url="http://thenewliturgicalmovement.blogspot.com/2007/06/all-forms-of-music-belong-at-mass.html"]http://thenewliturgicalmovement.blogspot.c...ng-at-mass.html[/url] - discussion here: [url="http://www.haloscan.com/comments/stribe/8906988166243780756/"]http://www.haloscan.com/comments/stribe/8906988166243780756/[/url] - and i'll end with this quote from it and this relates a bit to your poll. "Personally, I find it incredible that that [u]a central mandate [/u]of the Second Vatican Council, so clearly stated in the conciliar documents, could be so easily passed over: namely, [u]that Gregorian chant and polyphony are uniquely suited to Roman Rite[/u] worship. Paul VI reinforced this and [u]mandated chant[/u] in strong terms. John Paul II further stated that the closer a piece of music approaches the sensibility of chant, the more appropriate it is. Pope Benedict has said the same and more." PAX!! Catholic Apostolic Church---- its not a democracy... Edited June 28, 2007 by EJames
abercius24 Posted June 28, 2007 Author Posted June 28, 2007 One of the reasons why I ask where we should go from here is more for economic reasons -- allocating limited resources. Catholic music is still in its infancy. Apart from just a few blessed folks, most Catholic musicians have daytime jobs and practice/perform on the weekends. There is still a lot of volunteer work and personal sacrifice that goes into making things happen. The good majority of resources today are geared toward traditional and praise&worship artists, which make up the majority of Catholic albums you will find. Many original and contemporary artists find themselves as a minority among the P&Wers and Trads. The two bands I've played in experienced many canceled venues after the booking agent discovered we would not be playing P&W covers. The Life Teen movement, for example, is almost entirely made up of P&W artists. Even Catholic producers who support contemporary Catholic music have to share the greater part of their resources with P&W bands. Many state that P&W is what Catholics want and nothing else. They say Catholics like to sing along to songs they know. So I'd like to know if this is true. Assuming resources are limited, what does everyone want to hear?
Didymus Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 i think most all Catholics want to hear more than just praise and worship, but many don't know it yet because they don't trust that it can be done. Many have heard what they thought would be the limit to how 'real' Catholic music could sound, and they were very dissapointed because what was passed off as rock and what was passed off as pop was sorely lacking and felt like it emphasized the Catholic part of it rather than the music part. One should start with the fact that it's music and then go from there, whereas alot of it sounded like some youth ministers or whoever decided to pick up a guitar and start writing about all the Catholic theology and experience they know well about - without actually knowing how to play the guitar. This of course is an extreme, as the music is not that bad, but sometimes Catholic music sounds like the artist had no experience whatsoever in the secular version of their particular genre. This is why Phatmass has been such an inspiration to me, even though I was never really too much into hip-hop. The phatmass artists actually sound like they would make it in the secular hip-hop world, and they still have hardcore Catholic lyrics. I want so badly for that to be the case with Catholic rock, it's just happening very slowly. I think one of the main reasons is this: say Joe and Sally play rock n roll in a mainstream rock band. One day, they all of a sudden just feel they have a calling to get into doing Catholic music. So they start writing music for Catholics, but instead of writing just like they did before, they soften it up so that more of the Catholics will be into it, and none of their fans would be turned away by their extremely heavy guitar riffs and screaming solos. Now it's toned down so they don't turn away some musically, but they have lost the respect of the masses because they sound like a boring band with some Catholic lyrics. Instead, they should have kept the [i]exact[/i] same style that brought them success in the secular world, and directly apply it to their Catholic lyrics. This way, all of the Catholics who enjoy heavy rock actually get into them to the point that they would support them like they do their favorite secular bands - not because they're Catholic - but becuase they freakin rawk... This would in turn inspire other artists and bands to do the same - to best maintain the genre they associate with in the secular world and use it in the Catholic world...
misereremi Posted June 28, 2007 Posted June 28, 2007 [quote name='abercius24' post='1304490' date='Jun 28 2007, 10:56 PM']The two bands I've played in experienced many canceled venues after the booking agent discovered we would not be playing P&W covers.[/quote] That's typical and very frustrating (been there, too...)- I get what you're saying about resources. People play it safe and go with the more glossy singalong P&W soft rock or whatever- because it [i]does[/i] appeal to that circle of Catholics who go to those retreats/concerts etc. and like that type of thing (I don't know what life teen is, we haven't got that here ). We need some Catholic labels/producers that are willing to take risks, but I guess we need to make the case for it. Phatmass is already doing this with hip-hop in the US. I echo what Didymus was saying about trusting that it can take off. All we need is one mic... I suppose one of the questions is: who is our target audience? Just Catholics in our tight circles, or everybody? Who and what are we making this music for? I think many of the organisers/promoters who allocate resources should think about this. Music is an awesome means of evangelisation. Musical genres like hip-hop and metal reach out to wider audiences and can be used to bring non-Catholics into the Church a lot more quickly than P&W ever will. You'll get much larger crowds coming if your band... rawks.
abercius24 Posted June 29, 2007 Author Posted June 29, 2007 [quote name='Didymus' post='1304533' date='Jun 28 2007, 05:28 PM']say Joe and Sally play rock n roll in a mainstream rock band. One day, they all of a sudden just feel they have a calling to get into doing Catholic music. So they start writing music for Catholics, but instead of writing just like they did before, they soften it up so that more of the Catholics will be into it, and none of their fans would be turned away by their extremely heavy guitar riffs and screaming solos. Now it's toned down so they don't turn away some musically, but they have lost the respect of the masses because they sound like a boring band with some Catholic lyrics. Instead, they should have kept the [i]exact[/i] same style that brought them success in the secular world, and directly apply it to their Catholic lyrics. This way, all of the Catholics who enjoy heavy rock actually get into them to the point that they would support them like they do their favorite secular bands - not because they're Catholic - but becuase they freakin rawk... This would in turn inspire other artists and bands to do the same - to best maintain the genre they associate with in the secular world and use it in the Catholic world...[/quote] This is a very interesting point you make. When Catholics get that calling, its usually quite profound and intimidating. As a result, they play it safe because they feel like they are in uncharted territory. Probably the greatest fear is that they will do something associated with the rock lifestyle that other Catholics may find offensive or uncomfortable. For example, the headbanger hand signal. Many Catholics understand this sign to be the sign of the devil. Have a Catholic rocker do that once, and they'll have Youth Minister Ted all over them after the gig. I guess there are two things that must happen to make it easier for artists like that to make the transition. First, we gotta be a bit more understanding with such instances. To jump all over people for such petty things like that is destructive at best. When people are in a situation that makes them more emotionally sensitive, you gotta give them space to grow. Second, we need to communicate more within our different networks so that this new culture can be unified and understood. I found that the simple "I love you" sign works just as good as the headbanger sign, and it adds a flavor of righteousness, too. I was only exposed to that idea within the last year, though. But I guess this second need is just what this website and this thread are meant to do -- communicate. We just gotta get more people on here! :-) [quote name='misereremi' post='1304534' date='Jun 28 2007, 07:14 PM']I suppose one of the questions is: who is our target audience? Just Catholics in our tight circles, or everybody? Who and what are we making this music for? I think many of the organisers/promoters who allocate resources should think about this. Music is an awesome means of evangelisation. Musical genres like hip-hop and metal reach out to wider audiences and can be used to bring non-Catholics into the Church a lot more quickly than P&W ever will. You'll get much larger crowds coming if your band... rawks.[/quote] Man oh man...that has been the question kicking me in the gut for the longest time. I've played in front of youth groups that were dancing on the chairs one night, and then other youth groups that looked like they were watching their parole officer perform on stage the next. I still have yet to figure out what the difference was between the two groups. And yes, music is a shockingly effective form of evangelization -- one of the reasons I moved from door-to-door evangelization to mass evangelization on-stage. My friend Barbra Nicoloisi from Act One Productions once said to me: "The biggest problem with evangelization is that everyone does it one-on-one. After you speak with that one person, they return to the community they live in and they go back to their old lifestyle. They find it too hard to deny their environment just to become Catholic. What we need is to do is evangelize their community. If we make changes to their community, we make the one-on-one more effective. And you can only change a community with culture -- music, film, literature and art. That's where evangelization need to go." [paraphrasing] After almost 10 years working as an evangelist, I've come to realize that Barbra is sooooo right. I've seen people on fire for the Lord after a good talk, and the next day they are out clubbing with their not-so-holy friends doing those not-so-holy activities. Imagine if they went to a show and found a Catholic band convicting them and their friends. Imagine the conversations they and their friends would have afterwards. That's what it's about, and that what Catholic musicians are called to do.
Era Might Posted June 29, 2007 Posted June 29, 2007 [quote name='misereremi' post='1304713' date='Jun 28 2007, 07:14 PM']Musical genres like hip-hop and metal reach out to wider audiences and can be used to bring non-Catholics into the Church a lot more quickly than P&W ever will. You'll get much larger crowds coming if your band... rawks.[/quote] And the great thing about Hip Hop is that it's not just music, it's a culture, so we can even build in other ways besides music if we have the people to do so. I would love to see some kind of youth outreach in city parishes where Hip Hop is common. The youth could come and learn how to scratch, breakdance, graffiti, stuff like that (and keep it clean). It could be used as a way to build a relationship with the parish and hopefully sow seeds of the Gospel while giving the youth something positive to build with. I don't expect 60 year old Priests to do that, but maybe in the future it will happen with younger Priests who grew up with Hip Hop. We can use Hip Hop to become a real presence in the community, and the music can be the first step in that direction that gets their attention.
abercius24 Posted June 29, 2007 Author Posted June 29, 2007 [quote name='Era Might' post='1304808' date='Jun 28 2007, 09:39 PM']And the great thing about Hip Hop is that it's not just music, it's a culture, so we can even build in other ways besides music if we have the people to do so. I would love to see some kind of youth outreach in city parishes where Hip Hop is common. The youth could come and learn how to scratch, breakdance, graffiti, stuff like that (and keep it clean). It could be used as a way to build a relationship with the parish and hopefully sow seeds of the Gospel while giving the youth something positive to build with. I don't expect 60 year old Priests to do that, but maybe in the future it will happen with younger Priests who grew up with Hip Hop. We can use Hip Hop to become a real presence in the community, and the music can be the first step in that direction that gets their attention.[/quote] You know, I haven't been a fan of Hip Hop since the days of Run-DMC. I still can't identify with some of the styles, but within the last year or so, I've been seeing exactly what you are talking about. I'm truly beginning to find myself a big fan of Catholic Hip Hop's mission within the Church.
Socrates Posted June 29, 2007 Posted June 29, 2007 This is a weird poll, as it basically compares apples and oranges, so I really couldn't answer. Basically, some of the categories were about Church/liturgical music, while others were about "secular" styles. I'd say only traditional hymns and chant/polyphony be used in the liturgy, and everything else be done away with (including "glory & praise" type tunes). Outside the liturgy, I'd say whatever's effective for evangelizing. I'm personally not a fan of rap/hip-hop as a genre (and not just for moral reasons), but I applaud phatmass's work, if it helps spread the Gospel and the Faith. But some forms of music I don't think would be very compatible with overtly religious messages (such as club/techno or industrial). And I think truly Catholic music should not just be a "religious" rip-off of whatever's popular in the secular scene. Just my .02.
Didymus Posted June 29, 2007 Posted June 29, 2007 [quote name='Socrates' post='1304879' date='Jun 28 2007, 10:50 PM']And I think truly Catholic music should not just be a "religious" rip-off of whatever's popular in the secular scene.[/quote] exactly. Catholic artists need to have a sense of musical originality. Otherwise we're giving the world reason to believe that it's ripped-off of popular music. Not all Catholic bands/artisits have 'converted' from secular music, but they all should write and perform as if they did. Make an atheist want to buy your cd because it just [i]sounds good[/i].
saint_wannabe Posted June 29, 2007 Posted June 29, 2007 (edited) electric guitars with distortion in church. + some new songs i dont like the old school hymns. eg "trading my sorrows"<< new school Edited June 29, 2007 by saint_wannabe
abercius24 Posted June 29, 2007 Author Posted June 29, 2007 (edited) [quote name='Socrates' post='1304879' date='Jun 28 2007, 10:50 PM']This is a weird poll, as it basically compares apples and oranges, so I really couldn't answer. Basically, some of the categories were about Church/liturgical music, while others were about "secular" styles. I'd say only traditional hymns and chant/polyphony be used in the liturgy, and everything else be done away with (including "glory & praise" type tunes). Outside the liturgy, I'd say whatever's effective for evangelizing. I'm personally not a fan of rap/hip-hop as a genre (and not just for moral reasons), but I applaud phatmass's work, if it helps spread the Gospel and the Faith. But some forms of music I don't think would be very compatible with overtly religious messages (such as club/techno or industrial). And I think truly Catholic music should not just be a "religious" rip-off of whatever's popular in the secular scene. Just my .02.[/quote] Just to clarify, you can vote for more than one option in all the polls. The idea is to get a general consensus of what Catholics would like, or not like to see happen. I am assuming that the proper music is used for the proper venue if you think someone in the Church should devote themselves to the particular expression. The last poll is to help understand what people think of when they say "Catholic Music", particularly when it comes to supporting it. You and I can have two totally different definitions for it and find ourselves in a disagreement as to where limited resources should go even though we both "support Catholic music." Again, just to clarify. Edited June 29, 2007 by abercius24
misereremi Posted June 29, 2007 Posted June 29, 2007 [quote name='abercius24' post='1304781' date='Jun 29 2007, 02:50 AM']I guess there are two things that must happen to make it easier for artists like that to make the transition. First, we gotta be a bit more understanding with such instances. To jump all over people for such petty things like that is destructive at best. When people are in a situation that makes them more emotionally sensitive, you gotta give them space to grow. Second, we need to communicate more within our different networks so that this new culture can be unified and understood. I found that the simple "I love you" sign works just as good as the headbanger sign, and it adds a flavor of righteousness, too. I was only exposed to that idea within the last year, though. But I guess this second need is just what this website and this thread are meant to do -- communicate. We just gotta get more people on here! :-)[/quote] I'm with you. I think every artist needs a spiritual director to help him/her to grow the right way. I remember being told to dress a bit more modestly once. It hit me hard and I learnt from it. I liked what you said about the headbanger sign. We throw up "icon"signs instead of gang signs, lol. [quote name='Era Might' post='1304808' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:39 AM']And the great thing about Hip Hop is that it's not just music, it's a culture, so we can even build in other ways besides music if we have the people to do so. I would love to see some kind of youth outreach in city parishes where Hip Hop is common. The youth could come and learn how to scratch, breakdance, graffiti, stuff like that (and keep it clean). It could be used as a way to build a relationship with the parish and hopefully sow seeds of the Gospel while giving the youth something positive to build with.[/quote] We're totally on the same page. I spent many years evaluating the work of secular youth clubs that are doing "positive" music and these kinds of things to divert young people from criminal lifestyles, and always dreamed of having a Catholic one. The Methodist and Pentecostal churches here are a lot more active in coming up with youth projects like these. I've seen some of our Catholic youths go there. I'd like to set up something "Oratorio" style but (frustratingly) haven't got much time at the moment. I even had to give up my volunteering at the Salesian youth club. But yes, I think it takes for one person to get one started at one parish and then others will follow. Prayers for this to happen!!!!
abercius24 Posted June 30, 2007 Author Posted June 30, 2007 (edited) [quote name='misereremi' post='1305247' date='Jun 29 2007, 06:47 AM']I'm with you. I think every artist needs a spiritual director to help him/her to grow the right way. I remember being told to dress a bit more modestly once. It hit me hard and I learnt from it. I liked what you said about the headbanger sign. We throw up "icon"signs instead of gang signs, lol. We're totally on the same page. I spent many years evaluating the work of secular youth clubs that are doing "positive" music and these kinds of things to divert young people from criminal lifestyles, and always dreamed of having a Catholic one. The Methodist and Pentecostal churches here are a lot more active in coming up with youth projects like these. I've seen some of our Catholic youths go there. I'd like to set up something "Oratorio" style but (frustratingly) haven't got much time at the moment. I even had to give up my volunteering at the Salesian youth club. But yes, I think it takes for one person to get one started at one parish and then others will follow. Prayers for this to happen!!!![/quote] There's another point you bring to my mind. At one point, we the Church were the greatest patrons of the arts. The massive museums held by the Vatican prove this. Today, our separated brethren, the Fundamentalist Christians have been much more successful in producing Contemporary Christian music. In fact, one of the bands I played with was only 1 of 2 Catholic bands that auditioned for the Spirit West Coast festival -- 2 out of 5000 bands. Any ideas why they have us beat on our own proven territory? Edited June 30, 2007 by abercius24
hope4thenew Posted June 30, 2007 Posted June 30, 2007 i think i've read through the all posts replies and this is a good discussion...and i'm sure this is not that the 1st time nor should it b the last about this subject... there is so much 2 say and 2 b said about this topic...we could probably go on 4ever... as a catholic artist i believe Catholic music could've only just NOW made a sound in the new way that it is... i'm sure we all know that contemporary Catholic music has been around 4 sometime...it's just now that this music is syncing up once again with the musical stylings of the culture ----------------------------------------------------------------------- with the teachings and love 4 the youth of John Paul II, a generation was CATECHISED and found a deep LOVE and APPRECIATION 4 their catholic faith...a huge re-conversion if u will...there4, through prayer and the God-given talents in music, the arts, dance or what-have-u, we r just now re-learning how 2 apply and incorparate r gifts with the love and knowledge of this great Church that Christ himself has established... if we can combine the Sacraments, prayer, studying the sacred scriptures, prayer, liturigal catechisis, and prayer...and unite this with r love 4 music in all it's forms...the Lord will provide the people who want 2 hear it...this is ultimately the Word of God in melodies...and all christian denominations love the Word of God, do they not? and if u add the technology aspect of being able 2 record music via home studios that has the capability 2 sound as clean and crisp as a professional studio if u know how 2 utilize what u have, then play-on!!! the discussion of good production versus crappy production in Catholic music has been discussed on this forum, and does play a key role in the way the music can b heard...and the future of the music has got 2 b presented better and clearer without a doubt...pray 4 this -------------------------------------------------------------------- so here's the 10,000 dollar question...why now does the Protestant/Evangelical churches big and small have the best produced albums and artists? if we as the Catholic Church once upon a time were the standard 4 sacred art?...well here is what i think... The Catholic Church has it's ultimate form of worship in the Sacrifice of the Mass. We lay r eyes on Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. In Adoration. In his 7 Sacraments...We venerate the Holy Mother of God. We have, as u all know, several ways of praying...devotions...litanies...novenas After the hottest speaker on the Evangelical circuit has spoken in whatever auditorium hosts this "church"...how r they 2 worship? It is in their music... ----------------------------------------------------------------------- The "revenue" so-to-speak of the congregation has got 2 go in2 the music...the artists...the production...the festivals...the concerts...the studio...the lighting...the SOUND...the more glorious the sound, the more powerful the prayer!!! I am by no means saying these brothers and sisters do not pray outside a musical number, or that we in ways r better and holier because we have the Mass...not at all...i am strictly talking about the music aspect of worship in the lenses of the Protestant Churches and the Catholic Church... We simply don't have the audience yet that is ready 4 rap/hip-hop 2 b a form prayer/worship...or catholic soul music or rock or techno or whatever... ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Zealous, Sammy Blaze, M.A.S., and myself just did a show in Indiana...a Catholic Family Fest!!! we had NOBODY there...and this gal who promoted and put 2gether this wonderful day, which included prayers and a Mass, did ALOT of promotion...but nobody came... 2 the average Catholic family and parish...this is so new, they don't know what it's all about...if this was a Protestant event, it would of been packed? why? because this would have been an all day Mass 4 them...an all day of prayer! the thing is, if u read the lyrical content of these catholic artists such as those on phatmass and aftermass records...u'll find a form of encyclicals speaking the fullness of the faith!!! so it's not bcuz of the Word? is it the music and beats itself? mayb...i mean, if ur 50 years old u don't wanna hear this music no matter what it says!!! BUT, the youth...the young adults who r seriously in love with the faith, like those here on this site...it is up 2 U...u have got 2 support this music...BUY it...PRAY 4 it...spread the word about IT...tell ur parish u want some artists 2 come 2 the church...tell ur YOUTH GROUP...tell ur YOUTH PASTOR..."i think we should have some Catholic artists come 2 r retreat this year!" -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- and 2 the Crossroads and Proud2bCatholic Festivals of the world...GET SOME FRESH BLOOD IN THE MIX...i challenge u 2 incorporate new Catholic artists in2 ur line-up...we count on u 2 help us evangelize the WORD of GOD through this new music...we cannot do this if will not invite us... and 2 Catholic Radio Stations in Florida, please play Catholic artists along with ur Grits tracks!!! 2 the Catholic Radio Stations both local and on the Internet, we challenge u 2 devote a 1/2 hour 2 NEW Catholic Music...i love Dana, and i have all her albums, but please play ME... and 2 all those websites and radio stations who R devoted 2 the Catholic faith and Catholic Music...i thank u and pray 4 u so much!!! U r the light in the darkness of the world that will introduce this new music 2 the masses...keep learning about what is hot in the world of Catholic Music... --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- i realize this is long, so thank u 4 listening...this only stems from my love 4 Holy Mother Church and the gift of music...i know how powerful music is and can b... so we have only 2 persevere in holiness, and pray 4 the Lord 2 use us musicians as he did the Virgin 2 bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ in2 the world... God Love U
the Apologist Posted June 30, 2007 Posted June 30, 2007 This topic is not new... I have had various thoughts on this myself and i basically think that as it is our mission to evangelize we should use our talents, in whatever genre of music or art form they may be, to preach our faith. The problem has been and still is, that in the Catholic Church, there are many that still frown upon certian types of music... such as rap. As many of you know, i was kicked off of EWTN for that reason and many Catholic bookstores don't want to sell Catholic rock or hip hop. (not that there is a lot of it anyway) But also, the Catholics themselves don't support their own artists that much... i mean just look here on Phatmass how few even visit the artists phorums or ask questions or show support. Yet you go to the "What are listening to now" link and everyone is posting 99% secular groups... and this is the home of Catholic hip hop. But in the Protestant realm, they are given much support... and that is why the flourish. However, music is a bigger part of the Protestant worship, whereas we as Catholic have the Mass and many other devotions such as the Rosary and Stations of the Cross, Adoration, etc. Nevertheless, we all need some entertainment... and until Catholics start to opt for Catholic entertainment, we will go slow. The whole Praise and Worship promotion is just by those who mainly like that. I tried to talk with OCP about doing my first album and with Heart Beat Records and they wanted nothing to do with me. I think they were afraid. Fr. Stan and John Michael Talbot have been my biggest supporters over the years... and they do Praise and Worship music too. It's just that they see the value of the Catholic faith being reflected in the other genres. My goal is to create a Catholic youth culture with my future albums and eventually get into animation and videos because lets face it, MTV won't play us, the Protestants won't play us, EWTN won't play us, so we have to create our own means for promoting and getting our material out there and work harder at making good music... but more support is definitely needed.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now