An Old School Catholic Message Board

Where Should Catholic Music Go From Here?

abercius24

Catholic Music Questions  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1304879' date='Jun 28 2007, 10:50 PM']This is a weird poll, as it basically compares apples and oranges, so I really couldn't answer.

Basically, some of the categories were about Church/liturgical music, while others were about "secular" styles.

I'd say only traditional hymns and chant/polyphony be used in the liturgy, and everything else be done away with (including "glory & praise" type tunes).

Outside the liturgy, I'd say whatever's effective for evangelizing. I'm personally not a fan of rap/hip-hop as a genre (and not just for moral reasons), but I applaud phatmass's work, if it helps spread the Gospel and the Faith.

But some forms of music I don't think would be very compatible with overtly religious messages (such as club/techno or industrial).

And I think truly Catholic music should not just be a "religious" rip-off of whatever's popular in the secular scene.

Just my .02.[/quote]

Just to clarify, you can vote for more than one option in all the polls. The idea is to get a general consensus of what Catholics would like, or not like to see happen. I am assuming that the proper music is used for the proper venue if you think someone in the Church should devote themselves to the particular expression.

The last poll is to help understand what people think of when they say "Catholic Music", particularly when it comes to supporting it. You and I can have two totally different definitions for it and find ourselves in a disagreement as to where limited resources should go even though we both "support Catholic music." Again, just to clarify.

Edited by abercius24

[quote name='abercius24' post='1304781' date='Jun 29 2007, 02:50 AM']I guess there are two things that must happen to make it easier for artists like that to make the transition. First, we gotta be a bit more understanding with such instances. To jump all over people for such petty things like that is destructive at best. When people are in a situation that makes them more emotionally sensitive, you gotta give them space to grow. Second, we need to communicate more within our different networks so that this new culture can be unified and understood. I found that the simple "I love you" sign works just as good as the headbanger sign, and it adds a flavor of righteousness, too. I was only exposed to that idea within the last year, though. But I guess this second need is just what this website and this thread are meant to do -- communicate. We just gotta get more people on here! :-)[/quote]
I'm with you. I think every artist needs a spiritual director to help him/her to grow the right way. I remember being told to dress a bit more modestly once. It hit me hard and I learnt from it.

I liked what you said about the headbanger sign. We throw up "icon"signs instead of gang signs, lol.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1304808' date='Jun 29 2007, 03:39 AM']And the great thing about Hip Hop is that it's not just music, it's a culture, so we can even build in other ways besides music if we have the people to do so. I would love to see some kind of youth outreach in city parishes where Hip Hop is common. The youth could come and learn how to scratch, breakdance, graffiti, stuff like that (and keep it clean). It could be used as a way to build a relationship with the parish and hopefully sow seeds of the Gospel while giving the youth something positive to build with.[/quote]
We're totally on the same page. I spent many years evaluating the work of secular youth clubs that are doing "positive" music and these kinds of things to divert young people from criminal lifestyles, and always dreamed of having a Catholic one. The Methodist and Pentecostal churches here are a lot more active in coming up with youth projects like these. I've seen some of our Catholic youths go there. I'd like to set up something "Oratorio" style but (frustratingly) haven't got much time at the moment. I even had to give up my volunteering at the Salesian youth club. :sadder:

But yes, I think it takes for one person to get one started at one parish and then others will follow. Prayers for this to happen!!!!

[quote name='misereremi' post='1305247' date='Jun 29 2007, 06:47 AM']I'm with you. I think every artist needs a spiritual director to help him/her to grow the right way. I remember being told to dress a bit more modestly once. It hit me hard and I learnt from it.

I liked what you said about the headbanger sign. We throw up "icon"signs instead of gang signs, lol.
We're totally on the same page. I spent many years evaluating the work of secular youth clubs that are doing "positive" music and these kinds of things to divert young people from criminal lifestyles, and always dreamed of having a Catholic one. The Methodist and Pentecostal churches here are a lot more active in coming up with youth projects like these. I've seen some of our Catholic youths go there. I'd like to set up something "Oratorio" style but (frustratingly) haven't got much time at the moment. I even had to give up my volunteering at the Salesian youth club. :sadder:

But yes, I think it takes for one person to get one started at one parish and then others will follow. Prayers for this to happen!!!![/quote]

There's another point you bring to my mind. At one point, we the Church were the greatest patrons of the arts. The massive museums held by the Vatican prove this. Today, our separated brethren, the Fundamentalist Christians have been much more successful in producing Contemporary Christian music. In fact, one of the bands I played with was only 1 of 2 Catholic bands that auditioned for the Spirit West Coast festival -- 2 out of 5000 bands. Any ideas why they have us beat on our own proven territory?

Edited by abercius24

hope4thenew

i think i've read through the all posts replies and this is a good discussion...and i'm sure this is not that the 1st time nor should it b the last about this subject...

there is so much 2 say and 2 b said about this topic...we could probably go on 4ever...

as a catholic artist i believe Catholic music could've only just NOW made a sound in the new way that it is...
i'm sure we all know that contemporary Catholic music has been around 4 sometime...it's just now that this music is syncing up once again with the musical stylings of the culture
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
with the teachings and love 4 the youth of John Paul II, a generation was CATECHISED and found a deep LOVE and APPRECIATION 4 their catholic faith...a huge re-conversion if u will...there4, through prayer and the God-given talents in music, the arts, dance or what-have-u, we r just now re-learning how 2 apply and incorparate r gifts with the love and knowledge of this great Church that Christ himself has established...

if we can combine the Sacraments, prayer, studying the sacred scriptures, prayer, liturigal catechisis, and prayer...and unite this with r love 4 music in all it's forms...the Lord will provide the people who want 2 hear it...this is ultimately the Word of God in melodies...and all christian denominations love the Word of God, do they not?

and if u add the technology aspect of being able 2 record music via home studios that has the capability 2 sound as clean and crisp as a professional studio if u know how 2 utilize what u have, then play-on!!!

the discussion of good production versus crappy production in Catholic music has been discussed on this forum, and does play a key role in the way the music can b heard...and the future of the music has got 2 b presented better and clearer without a doubt...pray 4 this
--------------------------------------------------------------------
so here's the 10,000 dollar question...why now does the Protestant/Evangelical churches big and small have the best produced albums and artists? if we as the Catholic Church once upon a time were the standard 4 sacred art?...well here is what i think...

The Catholic Church has it's ultimate form of worship in the Sacrifice of the Mass. We lay r eyes on Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. In Adoration. In his 7 Sacraments...We venerate the Holy Mother of God. We have, as u all know, several ways of praying...devotions...litanies...novenas

After the hottest speaker on the Evangelical circuit has spoken in whatever auditorium hosts this "church"...how r they 2 worship?

It is in their music...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The "revenue" so-to-speak of the congregation has got 2 go in2 the music...the artists...the production...the festivals...the concerts...the studio...the lighting...the SOUND...the more glorious the sound, the more powerful the prayer!!!

I am by no means saying these brothers and sisters do not pray outside a musical number, or that we in ways r better and holier because we have the Mass...not at all...i am strictly talking about the music aspect of worship in the lenses of the Protestant Churches and the Catholic Church...

We simply don't have the audience yet that is ready 4 rap/hip-hop 2 b a form prayer/worship...or catholic soul music or rock or techno or whatever...
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Zealous, Sammy Blaze, M.A.S., and myself just did a show in Indiana...a Catholic Family Fest!!! we had NOBODY there...and this gal who promoted and put 2gether this wonderful day, which included prayers and a Mass, did ALOT of promotion...but nobody came...

2 the average Catholic family and parish...this is so new, they don't know what it's all about...if this was a Protestant event, it would of been packed? why? because this would have been an all day Mass 4 them...an all day of prayer!

the thing is, if u read the lyrical content of these catholic artists such as those on phatmass and aftermass records...u'll find a form of encyclicals speaking the fullness of the faith!!! so it's not bcuz of the Word? is it the music and beats itself?
mayb...i mean, if ur 50 years old u don't wanna hear this music no matter what it says!!!

BUT, the youth...the young adults who r seriously in love with the faith, like those here on this site...it is up 2 U...u have got 2 support this music...BUY it...PRAY 4 it...spread the word about IT...tell ur parish u want some artists 2 come 2 the church...tell ur YOUTH GROUP...tell ur YOUTH PASTOR..."i think we should have some Catholic artists come 2 r retreat this year!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and 2 the Crossroads and Proud2bCatholic Festivals of the world...GET SOME FRESH BLOOD IN THE MIX...i challenge u 2 incorporate new Catholic artists in2 ur line-up...we count on u 2 help us evangelize the WORD of GOD through this new music...we cannot do this if will not invite us...

and 2 Catholic Radio Stations in Florida, please play Catholic artists along with ur Grits tracks!!!
2 the Catholic Radio Stations both local and on the Internet, we challenge u 2 devote a 1/2 hour 2 NEW Catholic Music...i love Dana, and i have all her albums, but please play ME...

and 2 all those websites and radio stations who R devoted 2 the Catholic faith and Catholic Music...i thank u and pray 4 u so much!!! U r the light in the darkness of the world that will introduce this new music 2 the masses...keep learning about what is hot in the world of Catholic Music...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i realize this is long, so thank u 4 listening...this only stems from my love 4 Holy Mother Church and the gift of music...i know how powerful music is and can b...
so we have only 2 persevere in holiness, and pray 4 the Lord 2 use us musicians as he did the Virgin 2 bring the Gospel of Jesus Christ in2 the world...

God Love U

the Apologist

This topic is not new... I have had various thoughts on this myself and i basically think that as it is our mission to evangelize we should use our talents, in whatever genre of music or art form they may be, to preach our faith.

The problem has been and still is, that in the Catholic Church, there are many that still frown upon certian types of music... such as rap. As many of you know, i was kicked off of EWTN for that reason and many Catholic bookstores don't want to sell Catholic rock or hip hop. (not that there is a lot of it anyway) But also, the Catholics themselves don't support their own artists that much... i mean just look here on Phatmass how few even visit the artists phorums or ask questions or show support. Yet you go to the "What are listening to now" link and everyone is posting 99% secular groups... and this is the home of Catholic hip hop. But in the Protestant realm, they are given much support... and that is why the flourish. However, music is a bigger part of the Protestant worship, whereas we as Catholic have the Mass and many other devotions such as the Rosary and Stations of the Cross, Adoration, etc.

Nevertheless, we all need some entertainment... and until Catholics start to opt for Catholic entertainment, we will go slow. The whole Praise and Worship promotion is just by those who mainly like that. I tried to talk with OCP about doing my first album and with Heart Beat Records and they wanted nothing to do with me. I think they were afraid. Fr. Stan and John Michael Talbot have been my biggest supporters over the years... and they do Praise and Worship music too. It's just that they see the value of the Catholic faith being reflected in the other genres.

My goal is to create a Catholic youth culture with my future albums and eventually get into animation and videos because lets face it, MTV won't play us, the Protestants won't play us, EWTN won't play us, so we have to create our own means for promoting and getting our material out there and work harder at making good music... but more support is definitely needed.

[quote name='the Apologist' post='1306550' date='Jun 30 2007, 01:22 PM']But also, the Catholics themselves don't support their own artists that much... i mean just look here on Phatmass how few even visit the artists phorums or ask questions or show support. Yet you go to the "What are listening to now" link and everyone is posting 99% secular groups... and this is the home of Catholic hip hop.[/quote]
I admit that I could do more to support as a fan. But on the other side, I think the artists themselves contribute to that lack of interest. I know they're all busy with their real lives, and I'm not saying this as a negative criticism, I mean it constructively. When was the last time Phatmass really had any updates about anything? The radio has had the same stuff on it for years, Aftermass never materialized (I don't even know if it's still going to be released). The artists don't really post much on their own boards to keep us involved. I think we can all step up our game, the fans supporting but also the artists keeping their own name and music alive. Part of the reason why other Christian rappers are successful is because they put their grind in. If you want people to listen, you have to promote your music continuously and get people involved. I noticed dUSt took away the music section and it just says Hip Hop now. I think it would be a good idea to commit to really putting the emphasis on the Hip Hop and keeping interest alive, maybe by having one phorum for all the artists, maybe a separate section on PM where we get news, updates, samples on new music, stuff like that. I'm sure we could find volunteers to help do that, because it seems to me like we're stagnant as far as the Hip Hop scene at Phatmass. We could be doing so much more, we could have interviews with artists, etc. We can't expect the music to market itself just because it's Catholic music. We have to put in the work to build that fan base, we have to reach out to them as listeners and not just as Catholics.

Wow, that topic brought out some strong feelings. That's good. I think we're getting into the nitty gritty, even if it is a familar dead horse. ;-)

Some of us in California did some experimental stuff with some venues that may be of interest and an inspiration to you guys and gals. First, we eventually got around to making the event more religious than the music. It became a standard at most shows to have confession and adoration DURING performances. We kept both sacraments a stone throw away from the main room; just enough to get people interested as they walked by, and just far enough away that the music did not interefere too much. We also got into having adoration and benediction with more reverential music (including some authentic Chant) at the very end, which always gave everyone a solid feeling of conclusion to the evening. Looking back on all that, in the light of your explanation of the fundamentalists' zeal, some of our most successful venues were ones that had the sacraments available. I remember being outside of one show (trying to stop the ringing in my ears), and this one college girl came out from confession. She was so overwhealmed with emotion since she had not been to confession in about 4 years and she felt so free to have had the opportunity to go. It was almost like how our fundamentalists brothers in Christ share about the emotions they feel after an "altar call", but in this case, the "altar call" (if you will) was put in the right context. I ended up hearing of a number of other stories very similar, which made the evening really stick with me. In fact, I'm not even sure the show was that good, but I remember feeling the Holy Spirit all over everyone that night. Truly a supernatural experience for second-rate musicians.

We also had one show called "Generation Live" where we pre-sold tickets 2-4 weeks in advance to the Youth Ministers at all the local Churches. We ended selling out 340 tickets at $10 each, which included admission to the first part of the show (since we couldn't charge people to go to the sacraments during the 2nd part), plus a modest meal and drink. Because we pre-sold the tickets, we were able to get a good sound guy under contract, we balanced our budget before we made our big purchases, we paid all of the bands for their time and transportion costs, -- and we had a guaranteed number of people who would be there, which gave us some credibility when we asked some Catholic book stores and t-shirt vendors to come and setup booths. It took a lot of work to find the Youth Ministers who would go in with us, but we eventually did and everyone loved it. The strategy was so successful, it got me thinking about how a marketing person is just as important to a smooth show as a producer, a stage manager and a sound guy.

Now I'm not saying the sun always shines on Catholic music events in California. It took a lot of shows for us to figure these things out, but I offer this to all of you to consider. In fact, I would like to hear of some other successful strategies anyone else may have discovered. Please do share.

the Apologist

[quote name='Era Might' post='1306557' date='Jun 30 2007, 01:40 PM']I admit that I could do more to support as a fan. But on the other side, I think the artists themselves contribute to that lack of interest. I know they're all busy with their real lives, and I'm not saying this as a negative criticism, I mean it constructively. When was the last time Phatmass really had any updates about anything? The radio has had the same stuff on it for years, Aftermass never materialized (I don't even know if it's still going to be released). The artists don't really post much on their own boards to keep us involved. I think we can all step up our game, the fans supporting but also the artists keeping their own name and music alive. Part of the reason why other Christian rappers are successful is because they put their grind in. If you want people to listen, you have to promote your music continuously and get people involved. I noticed dUSt took away the music section and it just says Hip Hop now. I think it would be a good idea to commit to really putting the emphasis on the Hip Hop and keeping interest alive, maybe by having one phorum for all the artists, maybe a separate section on PM where we get news, updates, samples on new music, stuff like that. I would be willing to help do that if dUSt was interested, because it seems to me like we're stagnant as far as the Hip Hop scene at Phatmass. We could be doing so much more, we could have interviews with artists, etc. We can't expect the music to market itself just because it's Catholic music. We have to put in the work to build that fan base, we have to reach out to them as listeners and not just as Catholics.[/quote]

I agree with what you say but honestly man i have seen over and over how artists try to promote their music and it seems like it falls on deaf ears... for example an artist posts a link to check out his songs and the response is not that great. Some would say that the artist is to blame for not making good music and maybe something can be said for that... but the in comparison with Protestants, the fan support is very very weak. And trust me, i have done a many things to promote stuff even to the point of giving stuff away for free... More has to be done, but if the fans where more dedicated in supporting Catholic artists, then i think we would be further in the game than we are now. If everyone was a fan like Era Might, then we wouldn't have so much of a problem... Also, i don't think it is so much that artist are busy with their lives as the lack of avenues to promote their materials and support make it difficult for them to get their material out... but of course, all of that depends on each individual case. Also to reach out to build the fan base there are many "Church leaders" who tell you don't want hip hop or rock, or are against it because they think it is not good music and is "misleading youth", i mean i was told many times that rap is "evil." Not many see it in a good light.

I think a lot of that could change if we would get ourselves organized. I know the artists post links here and there, but that's the problem. Just posting a link to music may get you a few listens, but it doesn't keep people around and involved. When I go to an artists website and I see that they rarely update it, I lose my interest as a fan because I feel like why should I care if they don't seem to care enough to keep us updated? We have a bunch of different phorums for each artist, plus a muzik phorum, everything is scattered everywhere, there is no link to the radio, no real information in the music section of the website.

As far as people not liking rap music, I don't think that's a major issue. I like rap music and you like rap music and a lot of the people who come here like rap music. We don't need to appeal to people who don't like what we're doing, we only have to appeal to people who share our interests. If that gets recognized by the larger Catholic community then that's great, but first we have to build up our own thing and worry about the rest later.

We have to work together more as well, because there's not a lot of us. Why not make a new collaboration mix with all the Phatmass artists every few months and sell it as a download, and put the money toward individual albums? We can come up with 6 solid tracks every few months to keep the music going and keep interest.

I don't know, but I think we should think about doing something to make the Hip Hop more organized and prominent here. Not just the music but to keep the artists visible and the fans involved. How many of the artists post here on a regular basis? I know they're busy and I'm not blaming them for that, but if we were better organized with maybe someone running a Hip Hop section of the site, they could contact the artists and get updates and post samples of new music and all that kind of stuff.

I feel there is a lack of interest in Catholic hip-hop, hip-hop in general. Though we are doing this for the greater glory of God and for his Church. When I was promoting massmatics in Austin, people just didn't seem interested. More annoyed than anything. I didnt get much support, i gave my cd to priests down here and posted flyer's, i even gave away free cd's to some youth. Many of the youth are too tangled up in lil john and kanye west and couldnt care less about hip-hop preaching the truth about God and religion..shoot, many catholics down here dont even know if there catholic! lol

We are not for having hip-hop in the liturgy. I know I'm not. I'm a traditionalist.(not schismatic so calm down) In love with orthodoxy. What can we do to get people more interested? How can we reach the youth?

Edited by Akalyte

abercius24

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1307387' date='Jun 30 2007, 11:18 PM']I feel there is a lack of interest in Catholic hip-hop, hip-hop in general. Though we are doing this for the greater glory of God and for his Church. When I was promoting massmatics in Austin, people just didn't seem interested. More annoyed than anything. I didnt get much support, i gave my cd to priests down here and posted flyer's, i even gave away free cd's to some youth. Many of the youth are too tangled up in lil john and kanye west and couldnt care less about hip-hop preaching the truth about God and religion..shoot, many catholics down here dont even know if there catholic! lol

We are not for having hip-hop in the liturgy. I know I'm not. I'm a traditionalist.(not schismatic so calm down) In love with orthodoxy. What can we do to get people more interested? How can we reach the youth?[/quote]

You see, the problem is that public exposure (like Catholic music performances) is a one way street. The public doesn't talk back. They don't have a voice unified enough to speak for them -- again another need for some good Catholic music marketeers. I can tell you, though, that your music is rather popular within the circles I've worked in Southern California. I've heard a lot about your music, even though I've never met you, as funny as that is.

The other problem is organization. After having a bit of a Catholic music summit among some promoters, we agreed we needed to have a few Catholic bookstore carry and promote a Catholic music section. We did find 2 stores that agreed to carry the music, but the patrons of those stores were not the same people who buy Catholic music, and the project failed. We didn't align our market with that of the stores'. I think the one thing we did right, though, was that we experimented. We learned how not to promote Catholic music. :-) Experimentation seems to be the one thing we need more of find ways to better organize ourselves. It's clear to me now that the internet is the best way to market Catholic music. You see, we have preconceived notions about how things should work, but we are working in an entirely different medium than that of secular music. We need to put more energy into working out our mistakes to define how things work in our medium. We need "to boldly go where no geniuses have gone before" (geniuses for Christ, that is). But we need to find courage and patience to fail as many times as it takes before we get it right. And, we need to be willing to communicate our mistakes with each other. It seems we are all making the same mistakes and everybody is afraid to warn each other because they don't want to look like a fool. I say its time for us to recognize how foolish we are to be doing this work in the first place (all for love of Our Lord) and its time to be geniuses together!

Edited by abercius24

[quote name='abercius24' post='1307663' date='Jul 1 2007, 07:25 AM']You see, the problem is that public exposure (like Catholic music performances) is a one way street. The public doesn't talk back. They don't have a voice unified enough to speak for them -- again another need for some good Catholic music marketeers. I can tell you, though, that your music is rather popular within the circles I've worked in Southern California. I've heard a lot about your music, even though I've never met you, as funny as that is.

The other problem is organization. After having a bit of a Catholic music summit among some promoters, we agreed we needed to have a few Catholic bookstore carry and promote a Catholic music section. We did find 2 stores that agreed to carry the music, but the patrons of those stores were not the same people who buy Catholic music, and the project failed. We didn't align our market with that of the stores'. I think the one thing we did right, though, was that we experimented. We learned how not to promote Catholic music. :-) Experimentation seems to be the one thing we need more of find ways to better organize ourselves. It's clear to me now that the internet is the best way to market Catholic music. You see, we have preconceived notions about how things should work, but we are working in an entirely different medium than that of secular music. We need to put more energy into working out our mistakes to define how things work in our medium. We need "to boldly go where no geniuses have gone before" (geniuses for Christ, that is). But we need to find courage and patience to fail as many times as it takes before we get it right. And, we need to be willing to communicate our mistakes with each other. It seems we are all making the same mistakes and everybody is afraid to warn each other because they don't want to look like a fool. I say its time for us to recognize how foolish we are to be doing this work in the first place (all for love of Our Lord) and its time to be geniuses together![/quote]

wow, that made so much sense!

misereremi

[quote name='abercius24' post='1307663' date='Jul 1 2007, 01:25 PM']I think the one thing we did right, though, was that we experimented. We learned how not to promote Catholic music. :-) Experimentation seems to be the one thing we need more of find ways to better organize ourselves. It's clear to me now that the internet is the best way to market Catholic music. You see, we have preconceived notions about how things should work, but we are working in an entirely different medium than that of secular music. We need to put more energy into working out our mistakes to define how things work in our medium. We need "to boldly go where no geniuses have gone before" (geniuses for Christ, that is). But we need to find courage and patience to fail as many times as it takes before we get it right. And, we need to be willing to communicate our mistakes with each other. It seems we are all making the same mistakes and everybody is afraid to warn each other because they don't want to look like a fool. I say its time for us to recognize how foolish we are to be doing this work in the first place (all for love of Our Lord) and its time to be geniuses together![/quote]
Definitely agree. I've been doing a lot of trial-and-error promotion. Myspace and other internet sites have been a good launchpad for our music.

I actually go to a lot of secular (underground) circles to market our stuff- like underground music record stores which showcase homegrown artists, and linked radio shows- int eh virtual and real world. We got a lot of support. We even got support for live shows. I guess this is because many of us are reverts and converts, and for us it comes easier to work with past secular connections.

Hopefully once we have proven ourselves and built up enough resources, the Catholic circles will be a bit more open to having bands like ours play. In the meantime, we have to look at creative fundraising ourselves. We have been trying to establish our Catholic label and get a collective of artists on board. We've had funding problems, and we're all based in different parts of Europe :rolleyes: but we're working on it.

I think one of the reasons that some of the other Christian "denominations" do a better job is that they put a lot of resources into it. They sweat people for money. They also invest a lot of time and resources into "community building." There is that wider work that needs to be done: we need to get our communities back into parish life, and be a bit more bold in how we do it.

misereremi

[quote name='abercius24' post='1306375' date='Jun 30 2007, 07:56 AM']There's another point you bring to my mind. At one point, we the Church were the greatest patrons of the arts. The massive museums held by the Vatican prove this. Today, our separated brethren, the Fundamentalist Christians have been much more successful in producing Contemporary Christian music. In fact, one of the bands I played with was only 1 of 2 Catholic bands that auditioned for the Spirit West Coast festival -- 2 out of 5000 bands. Any ideas why they have us beat on our own proven territory?[/quote]
I agree with what hope 4 the new said in his post. They put a lot of resources into putting on a show because[i] that [/i]is their worship, and outside of that, there's not the wealth of Sacramental life that we have.

I've also seen the growing disconnect in our Church between those who catechize and young people, so many young people got put-off. But things are totally changing. We're in a new era of renewal and we must persevere with our calling no matter how small the following. When I think of how Our Lord was resolute and patient with all those whom he recruited for His ministry, I really can't give up hope.
[quote name='hope4thenew' post='1306518' date='Jun 30 2007, 05:47 PM']with the teachings and love 4 the youth of John Paul II, a generation was CATECHISED and found a deep LOVE and APPRECIATION 4 their catholic faith...a huge re-conversion if u will...there4, through prayer and the God-given talents in music, the arts, dance or what-have-u, we r just now re-learning how 2 apply and incorparate r gifts with the love and knowledge of this great Church that Christ himself has established...

if we can combine the Sacraments, prayer, studying the sacred scriptures, prayer, liturigal catechisis, and prayer...and unite this with r love 4 music in all it's forms...the Lord will provide the people who want 2 hear it[/quote]
:yes:

abercius24

[quote name='misereremi' post='1307684' date='Jul 1 2007, 09:17 AM']Hopefully once we have proven ourselves and built up enough resources, the Catholic circles will be a bit more open to having bands like ours play. In the meantime, we have to look at creative fundraising ourselves. We have been trying to establish our Catholic label and get a collective of artists on board. We've had funding problems, and we're all based in different parts of Europe :rolleyes: but we're working on it.[/quote]

Catholic music in the UK? I wasn't aware there was a movement over there. That rocks! You've got to share some details. I thought it was something pretty exclusive to the U.S. By the way, what's your band's name, Misereremi?