An Old School Catholic Message Board

Take The Dante's Inferno Test

the protector

Here's a little info from New Advent: Dante Alighieri

:sleep:

It's too looooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggg for tonight...

The "Divina Commedia" is an allegory of human life, in the form of a vision of the world beyond the grave, written avowedly with the object of converting a corrupt society to righteousness: "to remove those living in this life from the state of misery, and lead them to the state of felicity". It is composed of a hundred cantos, written in the measure known as terza rima, with its normally hendecasyllabic lines and closely linked rhymes, which Dante so modified from the popular poetry of his day that it may be regarded as his own invention. He is relating, nearly twenty years after the event, a vision which was granted to him (for his own salvation when leading a sinful life) during the year of jubilee, 1300, in which for seven days (beginning on the morning of Good Friday) he passed through hell, purgatory, and paradise, spoke with the souls in each realm, and heard what the Providence of God had in store for himself and to world. The framework of the poem presents the dual scheme of the "De MonarchiĆ¢" transfigured. Virgil, representing human philosophy acting in accordance with the moral and intellectual virtues, guides Dante by the light of natural reason from the dark wood of alienation from God (where the beasts of lust pride, and avarice drive man back from ascending the Mountain of the Lord), through hell and purgatory to the earthly paradise, the state of temporal felicity, when spiritual liberty has been regained by the purgatorial pains. Beatrice, representing Divine philosophy illuminated by revelation, leads him thence, up through the nine moving heavens of intellectual preparation, into the true paradise, the spaceless and timeless empyrean, in which the blessedness of eternal life is found in the fruition of the sight of God. There her place is taken by St. Bernard, type of the loving contemplation in which the eternal life of the soul consists, who commends him to the Blessed Virgin, at whose intercession he obtains a foretaste of the Beatific Vision, the poem closing with all powers of knowing and loving fulfilled and consumed in the union of the understanding with the Divine Essence, the will made one with the Divine Will, "the Love that moves the sun and the other stars".

Purgatory......

btw, i personally enjoyed the following True/False question:

It is good to be a pimp...........TRUE! :pimp: hehe

Yahoo! It's Purgatory for me!

Iwas so excited about being in Purgatory, that I felt a little prideful, so now I'm on the slippery slope to level 5 ohh noooooo :o

I made it to purgatory. Whew!!! I was nervous because I answered very honestly. I was sure I was going to hell.

::going to repent now::

CatholicAndFanatical

lucky you guys..i made it to Second Level of Hell

Hey it didnt mention anything about fire..just a bunch of wind..hmm..couldnt be all bad right?

right? :sadder:

Purgatory <_<

I DON'T want purgatory......i WANT heaven!

With God's grace, maybe i'll skip purgatory all together, cause I sure ain't shooting for purgatory and I know I deserve Hell.........plus, I don't want to be eating smores for 500000 years. :rolling:

Purgatory <_<

I DON'T want purgatory......i WANT heaven!

With God's grace, maybe i'll skip purgatory all together, cause I sure ain't shooting for purgatory and I know I deserve Hell.........plus, I don't want to be eating smores for 500000 years. :rolling:

purgatory's a sure bet you'll make it to heaven...

i don't see many ppl as dying without at least a lil purgatory b4 heaven.... who really dies in a state where they are Perfect and worthy to stand in the presence of the Father?

anyway, i'm in the 5th level, so why should i care? :P ...