Deus te Amat Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1934844' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:06 PM']I <3 both of them.[/quote] Read all three of the epics 2+ times in less than 2 months, along with 15+ pages of essay, and 100+ test questions per poem and come back and tell me that again.
Hassan Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1934843' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:06 PM']I thought Virgil was a lot better than Homer *horrifying flashbacks* [/quote] Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans. Many a brave soul did it send hurrying down to Hades, and many a hero did it yield a prey to dogs and vultures, for so were the counsels of Jove fulfilled from the day on which the son of Atreus, king of men, and great Achilles, first fell out with one another
Deus te Amat Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Hassan' post='1934846' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:10 PM'] Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans. Many a brave soul did it send hurrying down to Hades, and many a hero did it yield a prey to dogs and vultures, for so were the counsels of Jove fulfilled from the day on which the son of Atreus, king of men, and great Achilles, first fell out with one another [/quote]
Resurrexi Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Hassan' post='1934846' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:10 PM'] Sing, O goddess, the anger of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans. Many a brave soul did it send hurrying down to Hades, and many a hero did it yield a prey to dogs and vultures, for so were the counsels of Jove fulfilled from the day on which the son of Atreus, king of men, and great Achilles, first fell out with one another [/quote]
Hassan Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 Of course neither of them are a great as my beloved Selimovic The first roosters! Those malicious heralds, they goad time onward, spur it along to keep it from falling asleep, hastening our misfortunes, rousing them from their lairs so they will wait for us, with their hair bristling. Be silent, roosters! Stop, time! Should I shout into the night, to summon people, to look for help? It is no use. The roosters are merciless; they are already sounding the alarm. I am sitting on my knees, listening. In the silence of this room, from somewhere in the wall, from somewhere in the ceiling, from some unseen space I hear the striking of the kudret-clock, the unrelenting step of fate. Fear is flooding over me like water. The living know nothing. Teach me, dead ones, how to die without fear, or at least without horror. Because death is senseless, as is life. I call to witness the ink, the quill, and the script, Which flows from the quill; I call to witness the faltering shadows from the sinking ecening; the night and all the enlivens ; I call to witness the moon when she waxes, and the sunrise when it dawns. I call to witness the Resurrection Day and the soul that accuses itself; I call to witness time, the begining and the end of all things- to witness that every man always suffers loss. With his own hand wrote Hassan, son of Ali: I did not know he was so unhappy. Peace to his tormented soul! 1962-1966
Hassan Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 The Serbian National Theater in Belgrade turned Selimovic's masterpiece into a play [url="http://www.pozorje.org.rs/2009/predstava7_video.htm"]http://www.pozorje.org.rs/2009/predstava7_video.htm[/url] They seemed to have added sexual tension between Sheikh Nuruddin and Hassan's sister which did not exist in the novel Yes, he did ask her to marry him towards the end, after he had been integrated integrated into the existing town power structure, but this was simply a political move [url="http://www.pozorje.org.rs/2009/predstava7eng.htm"]http://www.pozorje.org.rs/2009/predstava7eng.htm[/url]
Hassan Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' post='1934856' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:18 PM']Second level of Hell.[/quote] I ended up better than the Catholic wonderful
Resurrexi Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' post='1934856' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:18 PM']Second level of Hell.[/quote] Have fun with Achilles, Dido, and Cleopatra.
Hassan Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1934847' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:11 PM'][/quote] Looks like someone belongs in the fifth circle
Hassan Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1934866' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:26 PM']Have fun with Achilles, Dido, and Cleopatra. [/quote] Don't forget Isabella
Winchester Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Hassan' post='1934865' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:24 PM']I ended up better than the Catholic wonderful [/quote] I'm held to a higher standard.
Winchester Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Resurrexi' post='1934866' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:26 PM']Have fun with Achilles, Dido, and Cleopatra. [/quote] Cleopatra's hot.
Hassan Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' post='1934869' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:27 PM']I'm held to a higher standard.[/quote] That's nothing to brag about if you fail to meet that higher standard
Selah Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 I get to chill with Homer, Aristotle, and Socrates! Awesome
kamiller42 Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='the protector' post='112306' date='Feb 3 2004, 08:29 PM']I left the Church on genuine doubts about theology, but I still attempt to live a life according to Catholic morality. It just makes the most sense, even when examined from a secular point-of-view.[/quote] Be challenged; don't doubt. A doubt is a suspension of the will to believe. A thousand challenges don't equal one doubt. Anyway, according to a web site, I will be in purgatory. I plan to tell Jesus that, "A web site told me so."
Resurrexi Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 (edited) [quote name='Winchester' post='1934870' date='Jul 29 2009, 02:28 PM']Cleopatra's hot.[/quote] It's that kind of attitude that got you into the second circle in the first place. Edited July 29, 2009 by Resurrexi
Hassan Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Winchester' post='1934870' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:28 PM']Cleopatra's hot.[/quote] [img]http://www.money.org/AM/Images/cleopatra2.jpg[/img] To each his own I suppose
Hassan Posted July 29, 2009 Posted July 29, 2009 [quote name='Selah' post='1934872' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:29 PM']I get to chill with Homer, Aristotle, and Socrates! Awesome [/quote] Not to mention other reall cool people
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now