An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monotheism/beatific Vision

"Kyrie eleison"

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1312126' date='Jul 4 2007, 04:37 AM']On the level of dogma perhaps, but Church history is full of statements and positions on matters that don't pertain to Catholic faith and morals.[/quote]
Islam does not fall under either faith or morals. Thus, the Magisterium cannot issue a positive statement about Islam, but it certainly can issue a negative appraisal of that false religion based upon the Islamic denial of the divinity of Christ and the dogma of the Holy Trinity. But -- of course -- a specific declaration on those issues in connection with Islam is not really necessary, since those doctrinal positions have already been condemned definitively by the Church during the first millennium.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1312127' date='Jul 4 2007, 04:39 AM']P.S. I replied before I saw your last post so feel free to put in the last word if you see a need to respond to said post.[/quote]
Do not worry about it. We are not likely to ever agree on this topic.

God bless,
Todd

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1312130' date='Jul 4 2007, 05:44 AM']Do not worry about it. We are not likely to ever agree on this topic.

God bless,
Todd[/quote]
:japanese:

"Kyrie eleison"

Era was so gracious to post this and it seems to go hand in hand with what Paul states in Romans 2:5-11.

Pope John Paul II also addresses this in "Redemptoris Missio":

The universality of salvation means that it is granted not only to those who explicitly believe in Christ and have entered the Church. Since salvation is offered to all, it must be made concretely available to all. But it is clear that today, as in the past, many people do not have an opportunity to come to know or accept the gospel revelation or to enter the Church. The social and cultural conditions in which they live do not permit this, and frequently they have been brought up in other religious traditions. For such people salvation in Christ is accessible by virtue of a grace which, while having a mysterious relationship to the Church, does not make them formally part of the Church but enlightens them in a way which is accommodated to their spiritual and material situation. This grace comes from Christ; it is the result of his Sacrifice and is communicated by the Holy Spirit. It enables each person to attain salvation through his or her free cooperation.

For this reason the Council, after affirming the centrality of the Paschal Mystery, went on to declare that "this applies not only to Christians but to all people of good will in whose hearts grace is secretly at work. Since Christ died for everyone, and since the ultimate calling of each of us comes from God and is therefore a universal one, we are obliged to hold that the Holy Spirit offers everyone the possibility of sharing in this Paschal Mystery in a manner known to God."

Paul sums it up quite nicely. God shows no partiality.

Romans:2:5-11:

But by your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God's righteous judgment will be revealed.[b] For he will render to every man according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are factious and do not obey the truth, but obey wickedness, there will be wrath and fury.[/b] There will be tribulation and distress for every human being who does evil, the Jew first and also the Greek, but glory and honor and peace for every one who does good, the Jew first and also the Greek. [b]For God shows no partiality. [/b]

and again..

Even if we believe and have all the faith in the father the son and the holy spirit but have not love, we are nothing.

"If I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing" (1Cor.13:1-3)

Edited by "Kyrie eleison"

Interesting discussion.

Apotheon seems to be suggesting that since the Fathers at Vat II said Muslims "adore the One God" they mean to say that their worship is acceptable to God. I personally never understood the statement to suggest that, I agree with LD that what the Fathers meant is that their direction of worship is geared towards the One True God, not that there worship is acceptable. Rejecting the Trinity prevents Muslims from offering acceptable worship to the Father, it does not mean they can't offer an [i]attempt of worship[/i] geared towards the Father.

Unfortunately the new Catechism is rather ambiguous on these issues, and doesn't explicitly say Islam is error, but it does say that the "Church recognizes in other religions that search, among shadows and images, for the God who is unknown yet near since he gives life and breath and all things and wants all men to be saved." and "In there religious behavior, however, men also display the limits and errors that disfigure the image of God in them" it then goes on to quote that famous passages in Romans, concerning the culpability that falls on pagans for rejecting God since God is in some way apparent through His creation:

[quote]18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, [color="#FF0000"]19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them.[/color] 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

[color="#FF0000"]21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him[/color], but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22Although they claimed to be wise, they became geniuses 23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.[/quote]

Edited by mortify

[quote name='mortify' post='1312262' date='Jul 4 2007, 09:45 AM']Apotheon seems to be suggesting that since the Fathers at Vat II said Muslims "adore the One God" they mean to say that their worship is acceptable to God.[/quote]
I disagree with this comment, because there is no such thing as an "abstract" true God. Islam, unlike other non-Christian religions, is founded upon the explicit denial of the dogma of the Trinity. This open rejection of the tri-hypostatic nature of God has been definitively (i.e., infallibly) condemned by the Church as contrary to the truth, and -- as a consequence -- it is not possible to prescind from this fundamental error of the Islamic religion in order to argue that Muslims believe in some kind of intellectually abstract and naturally understood "one God."

God bless,
Todd

P.S. - Once again, no Catholic is required to accept the statements issued by the Bishops at Vatican II on Islam, because the Magisterium does not possess the authority to make a positive definitive (i.e., binding) pronouncement on Islamic "doctrinal" belief.

[quote]This open rejection of the tri-hypostatic nature of God has been definitively (i.e., infallibly) condemned by the Church as contrary to the truth, and -- as a consequence -- it is not possible to prescind from this fundamental error of the Islamic religion in order to argue that they believe in some kind of intellectually abstract and naturally understood "one God."[/quote]

The Quranic objections against Christianity are due to misunderstanding of our theology. The Quran says for example, "They surely disbelieve who say: Lo! Allah is the third of three; when there is no Allah save the One Allah." (5:73) Is that what we believe? That there are three gods? Clearly the author of the verse does not understand the tri-hypostatic nature of God, and so can't reject it.

It's perfectly reasonable to say that Muslims give thanks and glory to the Creator whom they don't know perfectly, and can't offer acceptable forms of worship. How else do you understand the passage in Romans?

Edited by mortify

Arian objections to the Trinity were based upon a misunderstanding too, but the Church Fathers would never have said that an Arian adores the one true God. This can be said about Nestorian objections to the incarnation as well, but the Fathers of the Church would never say that a Nestorian worships the one true God.

The statements issued by the Bishops at Vatican II have no real theological content, and no Catholic is required to accept the judgment of the Bishops on an issue that is beyond their competence.

God bless,
Todd

[quote name='mortify' post='1312420' date='Jul 4 2007, 11:43 AM']It's perfectly reasonable to say that Muslims give thanks and glory to the Creator whom they don't know perfectly, and can't offer acceptable forms of worship. How else do you understand the passage in Romans?[/quote]
I disagree, and my disagreement is based upon my studies of Islamic theology (e.g., the writings of Al-Ashari, Ahmed ibn Hanbal, and Al-Ghazali). The Islamic "god" is not the true God revealed in Sacred Scripture. Sadly, Muslims believe in a false deity created by Mohammad, and so it is not possible to argue from some kind of "naturalistic" abstraction to the "god" of Islam.

Justified Saint

I am having to play catch-up on this thread, so I don't know entirely what is meant by the idea of an "abstract" but true God. If this is meant to imply that the error behind the CCC statement is that it reduced God merely to a principle of the knowledge of monotheism that by definition Islam displays on some intellectual or ideological level, I would have to disagree. On the contrary, the statement reveals the oft lived reality of coming to know God as one, but through the universal condition of linguistic and geographical division as well as cultural alienation do not know Him as fully revealed in Christianity. To say that God could only ever be experienced in a Trinitarian context would be the pinnacle of a vapid abstractionism.

The most that abstracting from nature can tell a man is [i]that[/i] God exists, but this knowledge is not salvific because man cannot naturally escape the diastemic realm of created being. Thus, when I speak of an "abstract" god, I mean a "god" based upon human concepts abstracted from nature, which prescinds from supernatural revelation. Now, it should be noted that the Eastern Churches, following the teaching of the Greek Fathers, do not accept the Pelagian view presently holding ascendancy in the West that man can, on his own initiative, come to a true and living experience of God.

Now, when speaking about Islam, one must contend with the fact that the Islamic religion explicitly denies the divinity of Christ and the dogma of the Holy Trinity. Moreover, Islam is not a "natural" striving after God, but is instead based upon the false doctrines promoted by Mohammad.

[quote name='Justified Saint' post='1312439' date='Jul 4 2007, 12:06 PM']If this is meant to imply that the error behind the CCC statement is that it reduced God merely to a principle of the knowledge of monotheism that by definition Islam displays on some intellectual or ideological level,[/quote]
Western speculation tends to say too much. That said, the demons are monotheists, as St. James -- writing under the influence of the Holy Sprit -- said in his epistle.

It should be borne in mind that Islamic belief is not founded upon reason, but is founded instead upon Qur'anic "revelation" as Al-Ghazali taught (cf. his treatises entitled, [i]Iqtisad[/i] and [i]Tahāfut ʾal-Falāsifa[/i]).