An Old School Catholic Message Board

The 150 Psalms

Resurrexi

Psalm 58

Eripe me. A prayer to be delivered from the wicked, with confidence in God's help and protection. It agrees to Christ and his enemies the Jews.

58:1. Unto the end, destroy not, for David for an inscription of a title, when Saul sent and watched his house to kill him. [size=1][color="#C0C0C0"][1 Samuel 19.][/color][/size]
[color="#808080"]Victori ut non disperdas David humilem et simplicem quando misit Saul et custodierunt domum ut occiderent eum[/color]

58:2. Deliver me from my enemies, O my God; and defend me from them that rise up against me.
[color="#808080"]Erue me de inimicis meis Deus meus et a resistentibus mihi protege me[/color]

58:3. Deliver me from them that work iniquity, and save me from bloody men.
[color="#808080"]Libera me ab operariis iniquitatis et a viris sanguinum salva me[/color]

58:4. For behold they have caught my soul: the mighty have rushed in upon me:
[color="#808080"]Quia ecce insidiati sunt animae meae congregantur adversum me fortissimi[/color]

58:5. Neither is it my iniquity, nor my sin, O Lord: without iniquity have I run, and directed my steps.
[color="#808080"]Absque iniquitate mea et absque peccato meo Domine non egi inique et illi currunt et praeparantur[/color]

58:6. Rise up thou to meet me, and behold: even thou, O Lord, the God of hosts, the God of Israel. Attend to visit all the nations: have no mercy on all them that work iniquity.
[color="#808080"]Surge ex adverso pro me et respice et tu Domine Deus exercituum Deus Israhel evigila ut visites omnes gentes non miserearis universis qui operantur iniquitatem semper[/color]

58:7. They shall return at evening, and shall suffer hunger like dogs: and shall go round about the city.
[color="#808080"]Revertantur ad vesperam et latrent ut canis et circumeant civitatem[/color]

58:8. Behold they shall speak with their mouth, and a sword is in their lips: for who, say they, hath heard us?
[color="#808080"]Ecce loquuntur in ore suo gladii in labiis eorum quasi nemo audiat[/color]

58:9. But thou, O Lord, shalt laugh at them: thou shalt bring all the nations to nothing.
[color="#808080"]Tu autem Domine deridebis eos subsannabis omnes gentes[/color]

58:10. I will keep my strength to thee: for thou art my protector:
[color="#808080"]Fortitudinem meam ad te servabo quoniam tu Deus elevator meus[/color]

58:11. My God, his mercy shall prevent me.
[color="#808080"]Dei mei misericordia praeveniet me[/color]

58:12. God shall let me see over my enemies: slay them not, lest at any time my people forget. Scatter them by thy power; and bring them down, O Lord, my protector:
[color="#808080"]Deus ostendit mihi in insidiatoribus meis ne occidas eos ne forte obliviscantur populi mei disperge eos in fortitudine tua et destrue eos protector noster Domine[/color]

58:13. For the sin of their mouth, and the word of their lips: and let them be taken in their pride. And for their cursing and lying they shall be talked of,
[color="#808080"]In peccato oris sui in sermone labiorum suorum et capiantur in superbia sua maledictionem et mendacium narrantes[/color]

58:14. When they are consumed: when they are consumed by thy wrath, and they shall be no more. And they shall know that God will rule Jacob, and all the ends of the earth.
[color="#808080"]Consume in furore consume ut non subsistant et sciant quoniam Deus dominatur Iacob in finibus terrae semper[/color]

58:15. They shall return at evening and shall suffer hunger like dogs: and shall go round about the city.
[color="#808080"]Et convertantur ad vesperam et latrent ut canis et circumeant civitatem[/color]

58:16. They shall be scattered abroad to eat, and shall murmur if they be not filled.
[color="#808080"]Ipsi vagabuntur ut comedant et cum saturati non fuerint murmurabunt[/color]

58:17. But I will sing thy strength: and will extol thy mercy in the morning. For thou art become my support, and my refuge, in the day of my trouble.
[color="#808080"]Ego autem cantabo imperium tuum et laudabo mane misericordiam tuam quoniam factus es fortitudo mea et refugium in die tribulationis meae[/color]

58:18. Unto thee, O my helper, will I sing, for thou art God my defence: my God my mercy.
[color="#808080"]Tibi cantabo quoniam Deus adiutor meus fortitudo mea Deus misericordia mea[/color]

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Psalm 59
Deus, repulisti nos. After many afflictions, the church of Christ shall prevail.

59:1. Unto the end, for them that shall be changed, for the inscription of a title, to David himself, for doctrine,
[color="#808080"]Victori pro liliis testimonium humilis et perfecti David ad docendum[/color]

59:2. When he set fire to Mesopotamia of Syria and Sobal: and Joab returned and slew of Edom, in the vale of the saltpits, twelve thousand men.
[color="#808080"]Quando pugnavit adversum Syriam Mesopotamiae et adversum Syriam Suba et reversus est Ioab et percussit Edom in valle Salinarum duodecim milia[/color]

59:3. O God, thou hast cast us off, and hast destroyed us; thou hast been angry, and hast had mercy on us.
[color="#808080"]Deus proiecisti nos et scidisti iratus convertisti nos[/color]

59:4. Thou hast moved the earth, and hast troubled it: heal thou the breaches thereof, for it has been moved.
[color="#808080"]Commovisti terram et disrupisti eam sana contritiones eius quoniam commota est[/color]

59:5. Thou hast shown thy people hard things; thou hast made us drink the wine of sorrow.
[color="#808080"]Ostendisti populo tuo duritiam potasti nos vino consopiente[/color]

59:6. Thou hast given a warning to them that fear thee: that they may flee from before the bow: That thy beloved may be delivered.
[color="#808080"]Dedisti timentibus te signum ut fugerent a facie arcus semper ut liberentur amici tui[/color]

59:7. Save me with thy right hand, and hear me.
[color="#808080"]Salva dextera tua et exaudi me[/color]

59:8. God hath spoken in his holy place: I will rejoice, and I will divide Sichem; and will mete out the vale of tabernacles.
[color="#808080"]Deus locutus est in sanctuario suo laetabor dividam Sicimam et vallem Soccoth dimetiar[/color]

59:9. Galaad is mine, and Manasses is mine: and Ephraim is the strength of my head. Juda is my king:
[color="#808080"]Meus est Galaad et meus Manasse et Efraim fortitudo capitis mei Iudas legifer meus[/color]

59:10. Moab is the pot of my hope. Into Edom will I stretch out my shoe: to me the foreigners are made subject.
[color="#808080"]Moab olla lavacri mei super Idumeam incedam calciamento meo mihi Palestina foederata est[/color]
[color="#C0C0C0"]The pot of my hope... Or my watering pot. That is, a vessel for meaner uses, by being reduced to serve me, even in the meanest employments. Ibid. Foreigners... So the Philistines are called, who had no kindred with the Israelites; whereas the Edomites, Moabites, etc., were originally of the same family.[/color]

59:11. Who will bring me into the strong city? who will lead me into Edom?
[color="#808080"]Quis deducet me ad civitatem munitam quis deducet me usque ad Idumeam[/color]

59:12. Wilt not thou, O God, who hast cast us off? and wilt not thou, O God, go out with our armies?
[color="#808080"]Nonne tu Deus qui proiecisti nos et non egredieris Deus in exercitibus nostris[/color]

59:13. Give us help from trouble: for vain is the salvation of man.
[color="#808080"]Da nobis auxilium in tribulatione vana est enim salus ab homine[/color]

59:14. Through God we shall do mightily: and he shall bring to nothing them that afflict us.
[color="#808080"]In Deo faciemus virtutem et ipse conculcabit tribulantes nos[/color]

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Psalm 60

Exaudi, Deus. A prayer for the coming of the kingdom of Christ, which shall have no end.

60:1. Unto the end, in hymns, for David.
Victori in psalmis David

60:2. Hear, O God, my supplication: be attentive to my prayer.
Exaudi Deus laudationem meam intende orationi meae

60:3. To thee have I cried from the ends of the earth: when my heart was in anguish, thou hast exalted me on a rock. Thou hast conducted me;
De novissimo terrae ad te clamabo cum triste fuerit cor meum cum fortis elevabitur adversum me tu eris ductor meus

60:4. For thou hast been my hope; a tower of strength against the face of the enemy.
Fuisti spes mea turris munitissima a facie inimici

60:5. In thy tabernacle I shall dwell for ever: I shall be protected under the covert of thy wings.
Habitabo in tabernaculo tuo iugiter sperabo in protectione alarum tuarum semper

60:6. For thou, my God, hast heard my prayer: thou hast given an inheritance to them that fear thy name.
Tu enim Deus exaudisti orationem meam dedisti hereditatem timentibus nomen tuum

60:7. Thou wilt add days to the days of the king: his years even to generation and generation.
Dies super dies regis adicies annos eius donec est generatio et generatio

60:8. He abideth for ever in the sight of God: his mercy and truth who shall search?
Sedebit semper ante faciem Dei misericordia et veritas servabunt eum

60:9. So will I sing a psalm to thy name for ever and ever: that I may pay my vows from day to day.
Sic canam nomini tuo iugiter reddens vota mea per singulos dies

Psalm 61

1 Unto the end, for Idithun, a psalm of David. 2 Shall not my soul be subject to God? for from him is my salvation. 3 For he is my God and my saviour: he is my protector, I shall be moved no more. 4 How long do you rush in upon a man? you all kill, as if you were thrusting down a leaning wall, and a tottering fence. 5 But they have thought to cast away my price; I ran in thirst: they blessed with their mouth, but cursed with their heart.

6 But be thou, O my soul, subject to God: for from him is my patience. 7 For he is my God and my saviour: he is my helper, I shall not be moved. 8 In God is my salvation and my glory: he is the God of my help, and my hope is in God. 9 Trust in him, all ye congregation of people: pour out your hearts before him. God is our helper for ever. 10 But vain are the sons of men, the sons of men are liars in the balances: that by vanity they may together deceive.

11 Trust not in iniquity, and cover not robberies: if riches abound, set not your heart upon them. 12 God hath spoken once, these two things have I heard, that power belongeth to God, 13 And mercy to thee, O Lord; for thou wilt render to every man according to his works.

Psalm 62

Deus Deus meus, ad te. The prophet aspireth after God.

62:1. A psalm of David while he was in the desert of Edom.
[color="#808080"]Canticum David cum esset in deserto Iuda[/color]

62:2. O God, my God, to thee do I watch at break of day. For thee my soul hath thirsted; for thee my flesh, O how many ways!
[color="#808080"]Deus fortitudo mea tu es de luce consurgam ad te sitivit te anima mea desideravit te caro mea[/color]

62:3. In a desert land, and where there is no way, and no water: so in the sanctuary have I come before thee, to see thy power and thy glory.
[color="#808080"]In terra invia et conficiente ac sine aqua sic in sancto apparui tibi ut videam fortitudinem tuam et gloriam tuam[/color]

62:4. For thy mercy is better than lives: thee my lips will praise.
[color="#808080"]Melior est enim misericordia tua quam vitae labia mea laudabunt te[/color]

62:5. Thus will I bless thee all my life long: and in thy name I will lift up my hands.
[color="#808080"]Sic benedicam tibi in vita mea in nomine tuo levabo manus meas[/color]

62:6. Let my soul be filled as with marrow and fatness: and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips.
[color="#808080"]Quasi adipe et pinguidine implebitur anima mea et labiis laudantibus canet os meum[/color]

62:7. If I have remembered thee upon my bed, I will meditate on thee in the morning:
[color="#808080"]Recordans tui in cubili meo per singulas vigilias meditabor tibi[/color]

62:8. Because thou hast been my helper. And I will rejoice under the cover of thy wings:
[color="#808080"]Quia fuisti auxilium meum in umbra alarum tuarum laudabo[/color]

62:9. My soul hath stuck close to thee: thy right hand hath received me.
[color="#808080"]Adhesit anima mea post te me suscepit dextera tua[/color]

62:10. But they have fought my soul in vain, they shall go into the lower parts of the earth:
[color="#808080"]Ipsi vero interficere quaerunt animam meam ingrediantur in extrema terrae[/color]

62:11. They shall be delivered into the hands of the sword, they shall be the portions of foxes.
[color="#808080"]Congregentur in manus gladii pars vulpium erunt[/color]

62:12. But the king shall rejoice in God, all they shall be praised that swear by him: because the mouth is stopped of them that speak wicked things.
[color="#808080"]Rex autem laetabitur in Deo laudabitur omnis qui iurat in eo quia obstruetur os loquentium mendacium[/color]

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Psalm 63

Exaudi Deus orationem. A prayer in affliction, with confidence in God that he will bring to nought the machinations of persecutors.

63:1. Unto the end, a psalm for David.
[color="#808080"]Victori canticum David[/color]

63:2. Hear O God, my prayer, when I make supplication to thee: deliver my soul from the fear of the enemy.
[color="#808080"]Audi Deus vocem meam loquentis a timore inimici serva vitam meam[/color]

63:3. Thou hast protected me from the assembly of the malignant; from the multitude of the workers of iniquity.
[color="#808080"]Absconde me a consilio malignorum a tumultu operantium iniquitatem[/color]

63:4. For they have whetted their tongues like a sword; they have bent their bow a bitter thing,
[color="#808080"]Qui exacuerunt quasi gladium linguam suam tetenderunt sagittam suam verbum amarissimum[/color]

63:5. To shoot in secret the undefiled.
[color="#808080"]Ut sagittarent in absconditis simplicem[/color]

63:6. They will shoot at him on a sudden, and will not fear: they are resolute in wickedness. They have talked of hiding snares; they have said: Who shall see them?
[color="#808080"]Subito sagittabunt eum et non timebunt confortaverunt sibi sermonem pessimum narraverunt ut absconderent laqueos dixerunt quis videbit nos[/color]

63:7. They have searched after iniquities: they have failed in their search. Man shall come to a deep heart:
[color="#808080"]Scrutati sunt iniquitates defecerunt scrutantes scrutinio cogitationibus singulorum et corde profundo[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]A deep heart... That is, crafty, subtle, deep projects and designs; which nevertheless shall not succeed; for God shall be exalted in bringing them to nought by his wisdom and power.[/color][/size]

63:8. And God shall be exalted. The arrows of children are their wounds:
[color="#808080"]Sagittabit ergo eos Deus iaculo repentino inferentur plagae eorum[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]The arrows of children are their wounds... That is, the wounds, stripes, or blows, they seek to inflict upon the just, are but like the weak efforts of children's arrows, which can do no execution: and their tongues, that is, their speeches against them come to nothing.[/color][/size]

63:9. And their tongues against them are made weak. All that saw them were troubled;
[color="#808080"]Et corruent in semet ipsos linguis suis fugient omnes qui viderint eos[/color]

63:10. And every man was afraid. And they declared the works of God, and understood his doings.
[color="#808080"]Et timebunt omnes homines et adnuntiabunt opus Dei et opera eius intellegent[/color]

63:11. The just shall rejoice in the Lord, and shall hope in him: and all the upright in heart shall be praised.
[color="#808080"]Laetabitur iustus in Domino et sperabit in eo et exultabunt omnes recti corde[/color]

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Psalm 64

Te decet. God is to be praised in his church, to which all nations shall be called.

64:1. To the end, a psalm of David. The canticle of Jeremias and Ezechiel to the people of the captivity, when they began to go out.
[color="#808080"]Victori carmen David cantici[/color]
[color="#C0C0C0"]Of the captivity... That is, the people of the captivity of Babylon. This is not in the Hebrew, but is found in the ancient translation of the Septuagint.[/color]

64:2. A hymn, O God, becometh thee in Sion: and a vow shall be paid to thee in Jerusalem.
[color="#808080"]Tibi silens laus Deus in Sion et tibi reddetur votum[/color]

64:3. O hear my prayer: all flesh shall come to thee.
[color="#808080"]Exaudi orationem donec ad te omnis caro veniat[/color]

64:4. The words of the wicked have prevailed over us: and thou wilt pardon our transgressions.
[color="#808080"]Verba iniquitatum praevaluerunt adversum me sceleribus nostris tu propitiaberis[/color]

64:5. Blessed is he whom thou hast chosen and taken to thee: he shall dwell in thy courts. We shall be filled with the good things of thy house; holy is thy temple,
[color="#808080"]Beatus quem elegeris et susceperis habitabit enim in atriis tuis replebimur bonis domus tuae sanctificatione templi tui[/color]

64:6. Wonderful in justice. Hear us, O God our saviour, who art the hope of all the ends of the earth, and in the sea afar off.
[color="#808080"]Terribilis in iustitia exaudi nos Deus salvator noster confidentia omnium finium terrae et maris longinqui[/color]

64:7. Thou who preparest the mountains by thy strength, being girded with power:
[color="#808080"]Praeparans montes in virtute tua accinctus fortitudine[/color]

64:8. Who troublest the depth of the sea, the noise of its waves. The Gentiles shall be troubled,
[color="#808080"]Conpescens sonitum maris fremitum fluctuum eius et multitudinem gentium[/color]

64:9. And they that dwell in the uttermost borders shall be afraid at thy signs: thou shalt make the outgoings of the morning and of the evening to be joyful.
[color="#808080"]Et timebunt qui habitant in extremis a signis tuis egressus matutinos et vespere laudantes facies[/color]

64:10. Thou hast visited the earth, and hast plentifully watered it; thou hast many ways enriched it. The river of God is filled with water, thou hast prepared their food: for so is its preparation.
[color="#808080"]Visita terram et inriga eam ubertate dita eam rivus Dei plenus aqua praeparabis frumentum eorum quia sic fundasti eam[/color]

64:11. Fill up plentifully the streams thereof, multiply its fruits; it shall spring up and rejoice in its showers.
[color="#808080"]Sulcos eius inebria multiplica fruges eius pluviis inriga eam et germini eius benedic[/color]

64:12. Thou shalt bless the crown of the year of thy goodness: and thy fields shall be filled with plenty.
[color="#808080"]Volvetur annus in bonitate tua et vestigia tua rorabunt pinguidine[/color]

64:13. The beautiful places of the wilderness shall grow fat: and the hills shall be girded about with joy,
[color="#808080"]Pinguescent pascua deserti et exultatione colles accingentur[/color]

64:14. The rams of the flock are clothed, and the vales shall abound with corn: they shall shout, yea they shall sing a hymn.
[color="#808080"]Vestientur agnis greges et valles plenae erunt frumento coaequabuntur et canent[/color]

Psalm 65

Jubilate Deo. An invitation to praise God.

Unto the end, a canticle of a psalm of the resurrection.

65:1. Shout with joy to God, all the earth,
[color="#808080"]Victori canticum psalmi iubilate Deo omnis terra[/color]

65:2. Sing ye a psalm to his name; give glory to his praise.
[color="#808080"]Cantate gloriam nomini eius date gloriam laudi eius[/color]

65:3. Say unto God, How terrible are thy works, O Lord! in the multitude of thy strength thy enemies shall lie to thee.
[color="#808080"]Dicite Deo quam terribile opus tuum in multitudine fortitudinis tuae mentientur tibi inimici tui[/color]

65:4. Let all the earth adore thee, and sing to thee: let it sing a psalm to thy name.
[color="#808080"]Omnis terra adoret te et cantet tibi cantet nomini tuo semper[/color]

65:5. Come and see the works of God; who is terrible in his counsels over the sons of men.
[color="#808080"]Venite et videte opera Dei terribilia consilia super filiis hominum[/color]

65:6. Who turneth the sea into dry land, in the river they shall pass on foot: there shall we rejoice in him.
[color="#808080"]Convertit mare in aridam in flumine pertransibunt pede ibi laetabimur in eo[/color]

65:7. Who by his power ruleth for ever: his eyes behold the nations; let not them that provoke him be exalted in themselves.
[color="#808080"]Qui dominatur in fortitudine sua saeculo oculi eius gentes aspiciunt qui increduli sunt non exaltentur in semet ipsis semper[/color]

65:8. O bless our God, ye Gentiles: and make the voice of his praise to be heard.
[color="#808080"]Benedicite populi Deo nostro et auditam facite vocem laudis eius[/color]

65:9. Who hath set my soul to live: and hath not suffered my feet to be moved:
[color="#808080"]Qui posuit animam nostram in vitam et non dedit in commotione pedes nostros[/color]

65:10. For thou, O God, hast proved us: thou hast tried us by fire, as silver is tried.
[color="#808080"]Probasti enim nos Deus igne nos conflasti sicut conflatur argentum[/color]

65:11. Thou hast brought us into a net, thou hast laid afflictions on our back:
[color="#808080"]Introduxisti nos in obsidione posuisti stridorem in dorso nostro[/color]

65:12. Thou hast set men over our heads. We have passed through fire and water, and thou hast brought us out into a refreshment.
[color="#808080"]Inposuisti homines super caput nostrum transivimus per ignem et aquam et eduxisti nos in refrigerium[/color]

65:13. I will go into thy house with burnt offerings: I will pay thee my vows,
[color="#808080"]Ingrediar domum tuam in holocaustis reddam tibi vota mea[/color]

65:14. Which my lips have uttered, And my mouth hath spoken, when I was in trouble.
[color="#808080"]Quae promiserunt tibi labia mea et locutum est os meum cum tribularer[/color]

65:15. I will offer up to thee holocausts full of marrow, with burnt offerings of rams: I will offer to thee bullocks with goats.
[color="#808080"]Holocausta medullata offeram tibi cum incensu arietum faciam boves cum hircis semper[/color]

65:16. Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will tell you what great things he hath done for my soul.
[color="#808080"]Venite audite et narrabo omnes qui timetis Deum quanta fecerit animae meae[/color]

65:17. I cried to him with my mouth: and I extolled him with my tongue.
[color="#808080"]Ipsum ore meo invocavi et exaltavi in lingua mea[/color]

65:18. If I have looked at iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me.
[color="#808080"]Iniquitatem si vidi in corde meo non exaudiat Dominus[/color]

65:19. Therefore hath God heard me, and hath attended to the voice of my supplication.
[color="#808080"]Ideo exaudivit Deus et adtendit vocem deprecationis meae[/color]

65:20. Blessed be God, who hath not turned away my prayer, nor his mercy from me.
[color="#808080"]Benedictus Deus qui non abstulit orationem meam et misericordiam suam a me[/color]

Psalm 66

Deus misereatur. A prayer for the propagation of the church.

66:1. Unto the end, in hymns, a psalm of a canticle for David.
[color="#808080"]Victori in psalmis canticum carminis[/color]

66:2. May God have mercy on us, and bless us: may he cause the light of his countenance to shine upon us, and may he have mercy on us.
[color="#808080"]Deus misereatur nostri et benedicat nobis inlustret faciem suam super nos semper[/color]

66:3. That we may know thy way upon earth: thy salvation in all nations.
[color="#808080"]Ut nota fiat in terra via tua in universis gentibus salus tua[/color]

66:4. Let people confess to thee, O God: let all people give praise to thee.
[color="#808080"]Confiteantur tibi populi Deus confiteantur tibi populi omnes[/color]

66:5. Let the nations be glad and rejoice: for thou judgest the people with justice, and directest the nations upon earth.
[color="#808080"]Laetentur et laudent gentes quoniam iudicas populos in aequitate et gentium quae in terra sunt ductor es sempiternus[/color]

66:6. Let the people, O God, confess to thee: let all the people give praise to thee:
[color="#808080"]Confiteantur tibi populi Deus confiteantur tibi populi omnes[/color]

66:7. The earth hath yielded her fruit. May God, our God bless us,
[color="#808080"]Terra dedit germen suum benedicat nobis Deus Deus noster[/color]

66:8. May God bless us: and all the ends of the earth fear him.
[color="#808080"]Benedicat nobis Deus et timeant eum omnes fines terrae[/color]

Psalm 67

1 Unto the end, a psalm of a canticle for David himself.

2 Let God arise, and let his enemies be scattered: and let them that hate him flee from before his face.

3 As smoke vanisheth, so let them vanish away: as wax melteth before the fire, so let the wicked perish at the presence of God.

4 And let the just feast, and rejoice before God: and be delighted with gladness.

5 Sing ye to God, sing a psalm to his name, make a way for him who ascendeth upon the west: the Lord is his name. Rejoice ye before him: but the wicked shall be troubled at his presence,

6 who is the father of orphans, and the judge of widows. God in his holy place:

7 God who maketh men of one manner to dwell in a house: Who bringeth out them that were bound in strength; in like manner them that provoke, that dwell in sepulchres.

8 O God, when thou didst go forth in the sight of thy people, when thou didst pass through the desert:

9 The earth was moved, and the heavens dropped at the presence of the God of Sina, at the presence of the God of Israel.

10 Thou shalt set aside for thy inheritance a free rain, O God: and it was weakened, but thou hast made it perfect.

11 In it shall thy animals dwell; in thy sweetness, O God, thou hast provided for the poor.

12 The Lord shall give the word to them that preach good tidings with great power.

13 The king of powers is of the beloved, of the beloved; and the beauty of the house shall divide spoils.

14 If you sleep among the midst of lots, you shall be as the wings of a dove covered with silver, and the hinder parts of her back with the paleness of gold.

15 When he that is in heaven appointeth kings over her, they shall be whited with snow in Selmon.

16 The mountain of God is a fat mountain. A curdled mountain, a fat mountain.

17 Why suspect, ye curdled mountains? A mountain in which God is well pleased to dwell: for there the Lord shall dwell unto the end.

18 The chariot of God is attended by ten thousands; thousands of them that rejoice: the Lord is among them in Sina, in the holy place.

19 Thou hast ascended on high, thou hast led captivity captive; thou hast received gifts in men. Yea for those also that do not believe, the dwelling of the Lord God.

20 Blessed be the Lord day by day: the God of our salvation will make our journey prosperous to us.

21 Our God is the God of salvation: and of the Lord, of the Lord are the issues from death.

22 But God shall break the heads of his enemies: the hairy crown of them that walk on in their sins.

23 The Lord said: I will turn them from Basan, I will turn them into the depth of the sea:

24 That thy foot may be dipped in the blood of thy enemies; the tongue of thy dogs be red with the same.

25 They have seen thy goings, O God, the goings of my God: of my king who is in his sanctuary.

26 Princes went before joined with singers, in the midst of young damsels playing on timbrels.

27 In the churches bless ye God the Lord, from the fountains of Israel.

28 There is Benjamin a youth, in ecstasy of mind. The princes of Juda are their leaders: the princes of Zabulon, the princes of Nephthali.

29 Command thy strength, O God: confirm, O God, what thou hast wrought in us.

30 From thy temple in Jerusalem, kings shall offer presents to thee.

31 Rebuke the wild beasts of the reeds, the congregation of bulls with the kine of the people; who seek to exclude them who are tried with silver. Scatter thou the nations that delight in wars:

32 ambassadors shall come out of Egypt: Ethiopia shall soon stretch out her hands to God.

33 Sing to God, ye kingdoms of the earth: sing ye to the Lord: Sing ye to God,

34 who mounteth above the heaven of heavens, to the east. Behold he will give to his voice the voice of power:

35 give ye glory to God for Israel, his magnificence, and his power is in the clouds.

36 God is wonderful in his saints: the God of Israel is he who will give power and strength to his people. Blessed be God.

Psalm 68

Salvum me fac, Deus. Christ in his passion declareth the greatness of his sufferings, and the malice of his persecutors the Jews; and foretelleth their reprobation.

68:1. Unto the end, for them that shall be changed; for David.
[color="#808080"]Victori pro liliis David[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]For them that shall be changed... A psalm for Christian converts, to remember the passion of Christ.[/color][/size]

68:2. Save me, O God: for the waters are come in even unto my soul.
[color="#808080"]Salva me Deus quoniam venerunt aquae usque ad animam[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]The waters... Of afflictions and sorrows. My soul is sorrowful even unto death. Matthew 26:38.[/color][/size]

68:3. I stick fast in the mire of the deep and there is no sure standing. I am come into the depth of the sea, and a tempest hath overwhelmed me.
[color="#808080"]Infixus sum in limo profundi et non possum consistere veni in profundum aquarum et flumen operuit me[/color]

68:4. I have laboured with crying; my jaws are become hoarse, my eyes have failed, whilst I hope in my God.
[color="#808080"]Laboravi clamans exasperatum est guttur meum defecerunt oculi mei expectantes Deum meum[/color]

68:5. They are multiplied above the hairs of my head, who hate me without cause. My enemies are grown strong who have wrongfully persecuted me: then did I pay that which I took not away.
[color="#808080"]Multiplicati sunt super capillos capitis mei qui oderunt me gratis confortati sunt qui persequebantur me inimici mei iniuste quae non rapueram tunc reddebam[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]I pay that which I took not away... Christ in his passion made restitution of what he had not taken away, by suffering the punishment due to our sins, and so repairing the injury we had done to God.[/color][/size]

68:6. O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my offences are not hidden from thee:
[color="#808080"]Deus tu scis stultitiam meam et peccata mea a te non sunt abscondita[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]My foolishness and my offences... which my enemies impute to me: or the follies and sins of men, which I have taken upon myself.[/color][/size]

68:7. Let not them be ashamed for me, who look for thee, O Lord, the Lord of hosts. Let them not be confounded on my account, who seek thee, O God of Israel.
[color="#808080"]Non confundantur in me qui expectant te Domine Deus exercituum non confundantur in me qui quaerunt te Deus Israhel[/color]

68:8. Because for thy sake I have borne reproach; shame hath covered my face.
[color="#808080"]Quia propter te portavi obprobrium operuit confusio faciem meam
[/color]
68:9. I am become a stranger to my brethren, and an alien to the sons of my mother.
[color="#808080"]Alienus factus sum fratribus meis et peregrinus filiis matris meae[/color]

68:10. For the zeal of thy house hath eaten me up: and the reproaches of them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.
[color="#808080"]Quia zelus domus tuae comedit me et obprobrium exprobrantium tibi cecidit super me[/color]

68:11. And I covered my soul in fasting: and it was made a reproach to me.
[color="#808080"]Et flevi in ieiunio animam meam et factum est in obprobria mihi[/color]

68:12. And I made haircloth my garment: and I became a byword to them.
[color="#808080"]Et posui vestimentum meum saccum et factus sum eis in parabulam[/color]

68:13. They that sat in the gate spoke against me: and they that drank wine made me their song.
[color="#808080"]Contra me loquebantur qui sedebant in porta et cantabant bibentes vinum[/color]

68:14. But as for me, my prayer is to thee, O Lord; for the time of thy good pleasure, O God. In the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy salvation.
[color="#808080"]Mea autem oratio ad te Domine tempus reconciliationis est Deus in multitudine misericordiae tuae exaudi me in veritate salutaris tui[/color]

68:15. Draw me out of the mire, that I may not stick fast: deliver me from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.
[color="#808080"]Erue me de luto ut non infigar libera me ab his qui oderunt me et de profundis aquis[/color]

68:16. Let not the tempest of water drown me, nor the deep water swallow me up: and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me.
[color="#808080"]Ne operiat me fluvius aquae et ne absorbeat me profundum et non coronet super me puteus os suum[/color]

68:17. Hear me, O Lord, for thy mercy is kind; look upon me according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.
[color="#808080"]Exaudi me Domine quoniam bona est misericordia tua secundum multitudinem miserationum tuarum respice ad me[/color]

68:18. And turn not away thy face from thy servant: for I am in trouble, hear me speedily.
[color="#808080"]Et ne abscondas faciem tuam a servo tuo quoniam tribulor cito exaudi me[/color]

68:19. Attend to my soul, and deliver it: save me because of my enemies.
[color="#808080"]Accede ad animam meam redime eam propter inimicos meos libera me[/color]

68:20. Thou knowest my reproach, and my confusion, and my shame.
[color="#808080"]Tu scis obprobrium meum et confusionem meam et ignominiam meam[/color]

68:21. In thy sight are all they that afflict me; my heart hath expected reproach and misery. And I looked for one that would grieve together with me, but there was none: and for one that would comfort me, and I found none.
[color="#808080"]Coram te sunt omnes hostes mei obprobrio contritum est cor meum et desperatus sum et expectavi qui contristaretur et non fuit et qui consolaretur et non inveni[/color]

68:22. And they gave me gall for my food, and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
[color="#808080"]Et dederunt in esca mea fel et in siti mea potaverunt me aceto[/color]

68:23. Let their table become as a snare before them, and a recompense, and a stumblingblock.
[color="#808080"]Sit mensa eorum coram eis in laqueum et in retributiones ad corruendum[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]Let their table, etc... What here follows in the style of an imprecation, is a prophecy of the wretched state to which the Jews should be reduced in punishment of their wilful obstinacy.[/color][/size]

68:24. Let their eyes be darkened that they see not; and their back bend thou down always.
[color="#808080"]Contenebrentur oculi eorum ne videant et dorsum eorum semper incurva[/color]

68:25. Pour out thy indignation upon them: and let thy wrathful anger take hold of them.
[color="#808080"]Effunde super eos indignationem tuam et ira furoris tui conprehendat eos[/color]

68:26. Let their habitation be made desolate: and let there be none to dwell in their tabernacles.
[color="#808080"]Fiat commoratio eorum deserta in tabernaculis eorum non sit qui habitet[/color]

68:27. Because they have persecuted him whom thou hast smitten; and they have added to the grief of my wounds.
[color="#808080"]Quoniam quem tu percussisti persecuti sunt et ut adfligerent vulneratos tuos narrabant[/color]

68:28. Add thou iniquity upon their iniquity: and let them not come into thy justice.
[color="#808080"]Da iniquitatem super iniquitatem eorum et non veniant in iustitia tua[/color]

68:29. Let them be blotted out of the book of the living; and with the just let them not be written.
[color="#808080"]Deleantur de libro viventium et cum iustis non scribantur[/color]

68:30. But I am poor and sorrowful: thy salvation, O God, hath set me up.
[color="#808080"]Ego autem pauper et dolens salus tua Deus suscipiet me[/color]

68:31. I will praise the name of God with a canticle: and I will magnify him with praise.
[color="#808080"]Laudabo nomen Dei in cantico et magnificabo eum in confessione[/color]

68:32. And it shall please God better than a young calf, that bringeth forth horns and hoofs.
[color="#808080"]Et placebit Domino super vitulum novellum cornua efferentem et ungulas[/color]

68:33. Let the poor see and rejoice: seek ye God, and your soul shall live.
[color="#808080"]Videntes mansueti laetabuntur qui quaeritis Deum vivet anima vestra[/color]

68:34. For the Lord hath heard the poor: and hath not despised his prisoners.
[color="#808080"]Quoniam exaudivit pauperes Dominus et vinctos suos non dispexit[/color]

68:35. Let the heavens and the earth praise him; the sea, and every thing that creepeth therein.
[color="#808080"]Laudent eum caeli et terra maria et omne quod movetur in eis[/color]

68:36. For God will save Sion, and the cities of Juda shall be built up. And they shall dwell there, and acquire it by inheritance.
[color="#808080"]Quia Deus salvabit Sion et aedificabit civitates Iuda et habitabunt ibi et possidebunt eam[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]Sion... The catholic church. The cities of Juda, etc., her places of worship, which shall be established throughout the world. And there, viz., in this church of Christ, shall his servants dwell, etc.[/color][/size]

68:37. And the seed of his servants shall possess it; and they that love his name shall dwell therein.
[color="#808080"]Et semen servorum eius possidebit eam et qui diligunt nomen eius habitabunt in ea[/color]

Psalm 69

Deus in adjutorium. A prayer in persecution.

69:1. Unto the end, a psalm for David, to bring to remembrance that the Lord saved him.
[color="#808080"]Victori David ad recordandum[/color]

69:2. O God, come to my assistance; O Lord, make haste to help me.
[color="#808080"]Deus ut liberes me Domine ut auxilieris mihi festina[/color]

69:3. Let them be confounded and ashamed that seek my soul:
[color="#808080"]Confundantur et erubescant qui quaerunt animam meam[/color]

69:4. Let them be turned backward, and blush for shame that desire evils to me: Let them be presently turned away blushing for shame that say to me: 'Tis well, 'tis well.
[color="#808080"]Convertantur retrorsum et erubescant qui volunt malum mihi revertantur ad vestigium confusionis suae qui dicunt va va[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]'T is well, 't is well... Euge, euge. St. Jerome renders it, vah, vah! which is the voice of one insulting and deriding. Some understand it as a detestation of deceitful flatterers.[/color][/size]

69:5. Let all that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee; and let such as love thy salvation say always: The Lord be magnified.
[color="#808080"]Gaudeant et laetentur in te omnes qui quaerunt te et dicant semper magnificetur Deus qui diligunt salutare tuum[/color]

69:6. But I am needy and poor; O God, help me. Thou art my helper and my deliverer: O lord, make no delay.
[color="#808080"]Ego autem egenus et pauper Deus festina pro me auxilium meum et salvator meus tu Domine ne moreris[/color]

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

Psalm 70

1 A psalm for David. Of the sons of Jonadab, and the former captives. In thee, O Lord, I have hoped, let me never be put to confusion: 2 Deliver me in thy justice, and rescue me. Incline thy ear unto me, and save me. 3 Be thou unto me a God, a protector, and a place of strength: that thou mayst make me safe. For thou art my firmament and my refuge. 4 Deliver me, O my God, out of the hand of the sinner, and out of the hand of the transgressor of the law and of the unjust. 5 For thou art my patience, O Lord: my hope, O Lord, from my youth;

6 By thee have I been confirmed from the womb: from my mother's womb thou art my protector. Of thee shall I continually sing: 7 I run become unto many as a wonder, but thou art a strong helper. 8 Let my mouth be filled with praise, that I may sing thy glory; thy greatness all the day long. 9 Cast me not off in the time of old age: when my strength shall fail, do not thou forsake me. 10 For my enemies have spoken against me; and they that watched my soul have consulted together,

11 Saying: God hath forsaken him: pursue and take him, for there is none to deliver him. 12 O God, be not thou far from me: O my God, make haste to my help. 13 Let them be confounded and come to nothing that detract my soul; let them be covered with confusion and shame that seek my hurt. 14 But I will always hope; and will add to all thy praise. 15 My mouth shall shew forth thy justice; thy salvation all the day long. Because I have not known learning,

16 I will enter into the powers of the Lord: O Lord, I will be mindful of thy justice alone. 17 Thou hast taught me, O God, from my youth: and till now I will declare thy wonderful works. 18 And unto old age and grey hairs: O God, forsake me not, Until I shew forth thy arm to all the generation that is to come: Thy power, 19 And thy justice, O God, even to the highest great things thou hast done: O God, who is like to thee? 20 How great troubles hast thou shewn me, many and grievous: and turning thou hast brought me to life, and hast brought me back again from the depths of the earth:

21 Thou hast multiplied thy magnificence; and turning to me thou hast comforted me. 22 For I will also confess to thee thy truth with the instruments of psaltery: O God, I will sing to thee with the harp, thou holy one of Israel. 23 My lips shall greatly rejoice, when I shall sing to thee; and my soul which thou hast redeemed. 24 Yea and my tongue shall meditate on thy justice all the day; when they shall be confounded and put to shame that seek evils to me.

Glory be to the Fatherm and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Edited by StThomasMore

Psalm 71

Deus, judicium tuum. A prophecy of the coming of Christ, and of his kingdom: prefigured by Solomon and his happy reign.

71:1. A psalm on Solomon.
[color="#808080"]Salomonis[/color]

71:2. Give to the king thy judgment, O God, and to the king's son thy justice: To judge thy people with justice, and thy poor with judgment.
[color="#808080"]Deus iudicium regi da et iustitiam tuam filio regis iudicabit populum tuum in iustitia et pauperes tuos in iudicio[/color]

71:3. Let the mountains receive peace for the people: and the hills justice.
[color="#808080"]Adsument montes pacem populo et colles iustitiam[/color]

71:4. He shall judge the poor of the people, and he shall save the children of the poor: and he shall humble the oppressor.
[color="#808080"]Iudicabit pauperes populi salvabit filios pauperis et confringet calumniatorem[/color]

71:5. And he shall continue with the sun and before the moon, throughout all generations.
[color="#808080"]Et timebunt te quamdiu erit sol et ultra lunam in generatione generationum[/color]

71:6. He shall come down like rain upon the fleece; and as showers falling gently upon the earth.
[color="#808080"]Descendet ut pluvia super vellus ut stillae inrorantes terram[/color]

71:7. In his days shall justice spring up, and abundance of peace, till the moon be taken away.
[color="#808080"]Germinabit in diebus eius iustitia et multitudo pacis donec non sit luna[/color]

71:8. And he shall rule from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth.
[color="#808080"]Et dominabitur a mari usque ad mare et a flumine usque ad terminos terrae[/color]

71:9. Before him the Ethiopians shall fall down: and his enemies shall lick the ground.
[color="#808080"]Ante eum procident Aethiopes et inimici eius pulverem lingent[/color]

71:10. The kings of Tharsis and the islands shall offer presents: the kings of the Arabians and of Saba shall bring gifts:
[color="#808080"]Reges Tharsis et insulae munera offerent reges Arabiae et Saba tributum conferent[/color]

71:11. And all kings of the earth shall adore him: all nations shall serve him.
[color="#808080"]Et adorabunt eum omnes reges universae nationes servient ei[/color]

71:12. For he shall deliver the poor from the mighty: and the needy that had no helper.
[color="#808080"]Quia eruet pauperem a potente et inopem cui non est adiutor[/color]

71:13. He shall spare the poor and needy: and he shall save the souls of the poor.
[color="#808080"]Parcet inopi et pauperi et animas pauperum salvabit[/color]

71:14. He shall redeem their souls from usuries and iniquity: and their names shall be honourable in his sight.
[color="#808080"]Ab usura et iniquitate redimet animam eorum et pretiosus erit sanguis eorum coram oculis eius[/color]

71:15. And he shall live, and to him shall be given of the gold of Arabia, for him they shall always adore: they shall bless him all the day.
[color="#808080"]Et vivet et dabitur ei de auro Saba et orabunt de eo iugiter tota die benedicent ei[/color]

71:16. And there shall be a firmament on the earth on the tops of mountains, above Libanus shall the fruit thereof be exalted: and they of the city shall flourish like the grass of the earth.
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]A firmament on the earth, etc... This may be understood of the church of Christ, ever firm and visible: and of the flourishing condition of its congregation.[/color][/size]
[color="#808080"]Erit memorabile triticum in terra in capite montium elevabitur sicut Libani fructus eius et florebunt de civitate sicut faenum terrae[/color]

71:17. Let his name be blessed for evermore: his name continueth before the sun. And in him shall all the tribes of the earth be blessed: all nations shall magnify him.
[color="#808080"]Erit nomen eius in aeternum ultra solem perseverabit nomen eius et benedicentur in eo omnes gentes et beatificabunt eum[/color]

71:18. Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, who alone doth wonderful things.
[color="#808080"]Benedictus Dominus Deus Deus Israhel qui facit mirabilia solus[/color]

71:19. And blessed be the name of his majesty for ever: and the whole earth shall be filled with his majesty. So be it. So be it.
[color="#808080"]Et benedictum nomen gloriae eius in sempiternum et implebitur gloria eius universa terra amen amen[/color]

71:20. The praises of David, the son of Jesse, are ended.
[color="#808080"]Conpletae sunt orationes David filii Iesse[/color]
[size=1][color="#C0C0C0"]Are ended... By this it appears that this psalm, though placed here, was in order of time the last of those which David composed.[/color][/size]

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost. As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end.
Amen.

Psalm 72

1 A psalm for Asaph. How good is God to Israel, to them that are of a right heart!

2 But my feet were almost moved; my steps had well nigh slipped.

3 Because I had a zeal on occasion of the wicked, seeing the prosperity of sinners.

4 For there is no regard to their death, nor is there strength in their stripes.

5 They are not in the labour of men: neither shall they be scourged like other men. B Therefore pride hath held them fast: they are covered with their iniquity and their wickedness.

7 Their iniquity hath come forth, as it were from fatness: they have passed into the affection of the heart.

8 They have thought and spoken wickedness: they have spoken iniquity on high.

9 They have set their mouth against heaven: and their tongue hath passed through the earth.

10 Therefore will my people return here and full days shall be found in them.

11 And they said: How doth God know? and is there knowledge in the most High?

12 Behold these are sinners; and yet abounding in the world they have obtained riches.

13 And I said: Then have I in vain justified my heart, and washed my hands among the innocent.

14 And I have been scourged all the day; and my chastisement hath been in the mornings.

15 If I said: I will speak thus; behold I should condemn the generation of thy children.

16 I studied that I might know this thing, it is a labour in my sight:

17 Until I go into the sanctuary of God, and understand concerning their last ends.

18 But indeed for deceits thou hast put it to them: when they were lifted up thou hast cast them down.

19 How are they brought to desolation? they have suddenly ceased to be: they have perished by reason of their iniquity.

20 As the dream of them that awake, O Lord; so in thy city thou shalt bring their image to nothing.

21 For my heart hath been inflamed, and my reins have been changed:

22 and I am brought to nothing, and I knew not.

23 I am become as a beast before thee: and I am always with thee.

24 Thou hast held me by my right hand; and by thy will thou hast conducted me, and with thy glory thou hast received me.

25 For what have I in heaven? and besides thee what do I desire upon earth?

26 For thee my flesh and my heart hath fainted away: thou art the God of my heart, and the God that is my portion for ever.

27 For behold they that go far from thee shall perish: thou hast destroyed all them that are disloyal to thee.

28 But it is good for me to adhere to my God, to put my hope in the Lord God: That I may declare all thy praises, in the gates of the daughter of Sion.