Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I guess this means I should start another IT certification, huh? Just to be in the IN crowd? Yippee... <_<

Edited by abercius24
Posted

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1362463' date='Aug 18 2007, 10:13 PM']As long as it's not bleeding....[/quote]
I don't think so. But of course some might see it that way.

[quote name='Nadezhda' post='1362638' date='Aug 19 2007, 02:22 AM']Do you lose it all during the third year? Fangs are unsightly on a lady. :P[/quote]
:yes:

I might have to get more regular dental care ...

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1362449' date='Aug 18 2007, 11:07 PM']:hehehe:

No that happens at the end of 2nd year. I still have part of my heart still.[/quote]
Will you work for me pro bono when I sue the United Nations for existing?

Posted

I found my schedule! for anyone who might care...


1st semester

1 Peer Tutoring (aw the cute little freshmen...)

2 Church History

3 Seminar (basically study hall...everyone has this 3rd hour)

4 H English IV

5 H German IV

6 H Chemistry II

7 H College Calculus I

8 We the People (Constitutional debate class)

2nd Semester

1 H Economics

2 H Physics II

3 Seminar

4 H English IV

5 H German IV

6 Peer Tutoring

7 H College Calculus I

8 H Philosophy

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted

Philosophy class in a high school? That rocks!

Posted

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1364474' date='Aug 20 2007, 02:57 PM']I found my schedule! for anyone who might care...
1st semester

8 We the People (Constitutional debate class)[/quote]

Sounds wicked cool.

Thy Geekdom Come
Posted
:)
Posted

I started August 1. For Chileans its the second semester, as their summer is our winter. It gets confusing when people ask what year in college I am or when I try to explain that my sister will graduate in May. I'm a junior. This semester, taking Advanced Spanish Writing (all exchange students), Modern History of Chile (all exchange students), Contemporary Art (all Chileans, and a girl from France, and me), Origins of Christianity (mixed), and Classic Spanish Lit (mixed).

My little sister started her senior year of high school today! Yay for her!

Posted

I start my first year of college--God help me--on September 5th. Buying my books Wednesday.

Posted

Got my books today. Taking a creative writing class, so that should be fun, the books look interesting.

[quote name='abercius24' post='1362686' date='Aug 19 2007, 08:56 AM']I guess this means I should start another IT certification, huh? Just to be in the IN crowd? Yippee... <_<[/quote]
What certs do you have? Just curious. I got my A+ a few years ago.

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' post='1364577' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:39 PM']Philosophy class in a high school? That rocks![/quote]


I wish we had pilosophy..... I wish we had anything better than regular religion I through IV that everyone gets put in and ends up becoming more of a study hall than a class because most of the kids in it don't care.

Posted

[quote name='Raphael' post='1364577' date='Aug 20 2007, 06:39 PM']Philosophy class in a high school? That rocks![/quote]


yeah, no.

the teacher is a former jesuit former married person current single man....

basically he left the order (specifically, he left SLU), and has since married, had kids, and obtained a divorce....

He also semi-denies the authority of the pope (doesn't believe the pope's teachings are inspired by the Holy Spirit, or something weird like that)...

anyway. this guy is extremely intelligent...too intelligent for me to win any real debate in class. he's a nice guy, he just probably shouldn't be teaching theology/philosophy at a catholic school...

but anyway i don't have him till second semester. we shall see. in the mean time! here are my 'theology' (it's really Church history, so idk if it qualifies for theology...it's history!) texts for this semester...let me know if they are good or bad

The Catholic Church: Journey, Wisdom, and Mission
Carl Koch

World Religions
Jeffrey Brodd

The Church: Our Story "Catholic Tradition, Mission, and Practice"
Patricia Morrison Driedger

The Church: A Spirit-Filled People
Romancik/Pastva



Now one of these is supposedly recommended by the USCCB, but the teacher made sure to say we wouldn't really use that one....

Definitely not looking forward to this class. Let me know about the texts...

Posted

in other news...

my church history teacher announced today that within our lifetimes we would have women priests, and also that purgatory was 'invented' by the Church to soothe people who felt offended that other 'less good' people went to heaven too.

supposedly he told my friend's class that the last supper was a myth. he said Jesus really just had a passover meal and there was nothing like the narration narrative in the Mass.


just about the only thing he got right was the real presence. i'm thoroughly upset.

IcePrincessKRS
Posted

And there's no way of getting out of having to take this class? That stinks. :(

Deus te Amat
Posted

[quote name='curtins' post='1361145' date='Aug 17 2007, 12:36 PM']three weeks ago???

when did you guys quit?
I start junior year = 4 AP classes = death.[/quote]

4 AP classes junior year... i did that too, i had three a semester though, two were one semester courses. but it didnt help that three of them were ap social studies... i killed my brain memorizing stuff. it was managable though. AP lang, euro, pych and human geography

[quote name='fiat voluntas tua' post='1361544' date='Aug 17 2007, 10:23 PM']I did the same thing [4 AP classes---Chem, Calc BC, English Lang, and Psychology]. I was swamped that year...not my favorite year by far.

I start the 27th---sophomore in college. [Well....junior credit wise, but still my second year.][/quote]


i start the 5th of september! i'm a senior so i get an extra day off ... which rocks :P

i have 4 ap classes this year too... i think i might die. Ap lit (online thankfully cuz it conflicts with band) calc, chem and bio

wayyy too hard of courses, but lets see how i manage... it shall fun!! maybe... :mellow:

Posted

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1368589' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:05 AM']in other news...

my church history teacher announced today that within our lifetimes we would have women priests, and also that purgatory was 'invented' by the Church to soothe people who felt offended that other 'less good' people went to heaven too.

supposedly he told my friend's class that the last supper was a myth. he said Jesus really just had a passover meal and there was nothing like the narration narrative in the Mass.
just about the only thing he got right was the real presence. i'm thoroughly upset.[/quote]
i meant institution narrative. :))

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1368738' date='Aug 23 2007, 07:48 AM']And there's no way of getting out of having to take this class? That stinks. :([/quote]

nope. i don't really trust the other church history teachers either...but it is required for graduation. so if i want a diploma i have to behave.

However that will not prevent me from bringing my catechism to class! I will also bring my book of Vatican II documents which he claims to love...:) perhaps I can surprise him with some real knowledge of the council...The spirit of the liturgy by ratzinger and the lamb's supper by hahn will also be good books to counter his wacky thoughts.

my chaplain (who also happens to be a good friend of mine, i've known him since he was an intern seminarian) also said he'd talk to the teacher. i didn't really mean to 'tattle' on him, i was just talking to Father about what was going on. *shrugs*. anyway this should be an interesting year.....

just for the record, this is father's first year as the chaplain here and he's already starting to clean up the liturgies. i tried with the last one to get some stuff fixed, but he didn't feel like he could interfere since he was going to leave anyway. *rolls eyes*. he was a good guy but didn't really use his position as he should have. i already started talking to the new one and he was way ahead of me, having already talked to the teacher who heads the liturgy planning. I love good priests!!!!

Posted

[quote]The Catholic Church: Journey, Wisdom, and Mission
Carl Koch[/quote]

<<shudder>>

[quote]World Religions
Jeffrey Brodd[/quote]

um, why a WORLD religions text in a Catholic Church history course?? how bout some Fr. Laux or even some crocker?

sigh.


good luck, i feel ya, my hs was the same way. maybe worse :rolleyes:



btw, i go back to school (teaching monkies, i mean jr high) sept 5th.... WAY too soon :ohno:

Posted

[quote name='kateri05' post='1369556' date='Aug 24 2007, 12:03 AM']btw, i go back to school (teaching monkies, i mean jr high) sept 5th.... WAY too soon :ohno:[/quote]


????? too soon????? i would've [i]killed[/i] to not go back till the fifth...


ok i wouldn't've killed, but still...

Lounge Daddy
Posted

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1369507' date='Aug 23 2007, 11:05 PM']I love good priests!!!![/quote]
rock on! :punk:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...